Gary Junction Road permits

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:08
ThreadID: 20592 Views:1917 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have searched this site including the archives but have not found the right answer yet.

I am looking for updated information on the access along the Gary Junction Road from Alice Springs to Kunawarritji in WA. Are transit permits still required and from whom? Have heard conflicting reports about access.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox-Kings Canyon - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:38

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:38
Hey Willem

From the Western Australian Dept. of Indigenous Affairs website's map of Western Australia here it would seem you have to get permission to travel the majority of Gary Junction Road from Ngaanyatjarra Land Council.

Ngaanyatjarra Land Council
PO Box 644
Alice Springs NT 0871
Tel: (08) 8950 1711
Fax: (08) 8953 1892

For the Northern Territory section is necessary to work out whether the Gary Junction Road is considered a public road as per this extract from the Central Land Coucils Website. link here

When will I need a permit ?

If you wish to undertake any of the following activities on Aboriginal land in the Central Land Council region then you will need to apply to the Central Land Council for a permit:

enter Aboriginal land for any purpose

travel by road through Aboriginal land (Note: this does not apply to public roads)

enter or visit an Aboriginal community (Note: some exceptions apply) Please note that permit requirements apply to all persons visiting Aboriginal communities for work or other purposes on a short or long term basis. This includes travellers, tourists, contractors, hawkers and representatives of any group, company, agency or government department not covered by a statutory permit arrangement.

Central Land Council
31-33 Stuart Highway
PO Box 3321 Alice Springs
NT 0871
tel (08) 89516 211
fax (08) 89534 343

Hope this helps and happy travelling!!



AnswerID: 99142

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:39

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:39
Thanks mate

I actually went to look at the CLC website but it is two years out of date

When looking at the Dept of Indigenous Affairs website they do not mention the gary Junction Road as needing a permit to access. I will contact them closer to the time.
FollowupID: 357519

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:08

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:08
Further to the above,it took about two weeks for our permits to arrive from time of application,one each for W.A side and N.T side.Applied by phone on the above listed phone numbers.
AnswerID: 99143

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:28

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:28
you went about it the wrong way. you just front up tp the offices in Alice they are not far between them and it takes about 15 min each permit. Visitors bureu will give you info as to where they are. Oh and doing it that way they are free and you get a discount at a fuel station in alice
FollowupID: 357512

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:42

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:42
Thanks Nic and Davoe

All info is valuable. The last time I applied for a permit was in 94. Since then I have skirted most Indigenous Land not by choice but by events.
FollowupID: 357521

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:44

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:44
yea and aftert I posted i relized not all travllers pass through Alice
FollowupID: 357523

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:30

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:30
Gaday Willem, to avoid all hearsay & changes that may have taken place, I just ring up each state land council 6 weeks before I go, give them the route & ask for the appropiate & up to date forms to be faxed out. They usually respond that day then fax out the actual permit within a couple of weeks. If you want to travell off the main tourist routes allow another month. As you would already know the best way to get a conflicting report is to post on EO ;-)) Should be a great trip.....
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 99171

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:44

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:44
Thanks Craig
FollowupID: 357522

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:35

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:35
I've applied for a lot of permits over the years and only once did I not have a apply and that was from the Anangu Pitjantatjaraky Land Council to travel the Giles - Mulga Park road, which i didn't follow out
Each year we try to travel a different way across AU to the east
We apply for permits both way, so if we have trouble with the weather we may be still able to get on some roads/tracks.
As in last years trip we didn't use any of them (washed out)
Central Land Council Faxed on the 7/04/04 received back on the 7/04/04
Aboriginal Lands Form filled out on line 6/04/04 reply on line with permit number 6/04/04 follow up by post
Ngaanyatjarra Council (the one you wont) faxed 7/04/04 return fax 8/04/04
these were all done times two allowing trips both ways W to E E to W 4 weeks apart.
We do not seem to have the problem that ever one else seems to have or I have Heard about

Have a good trip

We are going to try an Esperance to 80 Mile beach this year around Aug
Connie sue, GBH, Gary hwy, GJ Road' then up the Kidson
South to North or North to South all depends on the weather


AnswerID: 99183

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:53

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:53
Hi Richard

Yep we are going over to Ruddall River, then meandering south to Kalgoorlie, then Perth, the South West to Israelite Bay, then along the beach to the Baxter Cliffs, up to Cocklebiddy, then the Connie Sue, Warburton and back to Alice via Boggy Hole and Finke Gorge and then home to SA via the Oodna and Flinders Ranges. Taking 8 or 9 weeks. Will see how things pan out.
FollowupID: 357528

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:37

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:37
Equinox was right with the two authorities he mentions - CLC for the NT section and Ngaan etc for the WA section (Kiwirrkurra Rd or Desert Rd or Gary Junction Rd).
AnswerID: 99440

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)