Waeco thermo coollers

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 15:12
ThreadID: 20604 Views:2050 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how many amps the Waeco thermo coolers (TC21 FL) draw on average say compared to a compressor type fridge. I already have an Engel 40 litre, this is just for a small fridge easy to pop in the car for quick trips to the beach/days out. I am interested so that if I end up using it for more than that, eg: in a campsite situation maybe with my Engel as a freezer, will I be sucking my batteries down too rapidly.

Thanks for any help.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:46

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:46
Been through EXACTLY what you are doing.

I have had a Waeco CF 35 for a couple of years, but wanted something smaller just for myself. I already had, ( and still use), a small LION 12 volt cooler. I ended up buying another Waeco 15 litre.

The current draw on the coolers is too much, like around 5 - 7 amps in some instances. whereby the little Waeco is quite small.

Little Waeco is also a better freezer than my 35 for some reason.

Now, the LION cooler, we still use it, but never plug it in. We simply use it as an esky. It's got around 50 mm. of insulation on ALL 6 sides, & a good locking lid. We take it away for day trips on the Kayak, as well as BBQ's etc.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 99185

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 19:04

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 19:04
Chris,

I've got a 15L Waeco Thermo Cooler (that came as a bonus with my CF80). I just had a look at the back of it and it _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx a constant 48 watts (4 amps). That means it will use 96 amps in 24 hours. That will knacker your batteries in no time.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 99189

Follow Up By: Chris S - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:08

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:08
Thanks very much for your responses Lone Wolf and Jimbo. I have decided to install my Engel in the Patrol, on a slide, with a cage around it. Then I will always have it when I need it and no need to lug it in and out. Cheers !
FollowupID: 358116

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:14

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:14
The Thermo coolers are great for BBQ and campsite where you can't get your car to wear you are setup as you can carry them just like an esky. But yeah they say 4amps, I measured my 44L when it was still stock and it was taking about 3.5amps. It also said 48w on the sticker.

If you do a search in the archives you should find my report on my modd'd Waeco that will give you some more insight as to how they work and the power draw. I use my waeco instead of a fridge and it now _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx a whopping 6-8amps, but hey it works for me. I've got a big battery and normally only do weekend trips.
AnswerID: 99916

Sponsored Links