Oils arn't Oils

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:22
ThreadID: 20610 Views:2781 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I recently had a 25K oil change done by my mechanic on our 03' GU 3.0 T/D (not Nissan) and had the most amaizing experience. He users a local Brisbane company called Prolube for all his oil supplies as he has been very happy with the results to date. He suggested that I use Maxifleet 15W40 as it was the top of the range and could make a difference to the running of the vehicle. I agreed after checking that it conformed to the warranty guidelines and off he went.

Well, I drove out of the driveway and about 10klms down the road before I became aware that the GU was running a lot smoother. The motor was reving out easier and the normal power lag in 1st gear was not as prominent. I am no mechanic but I have a real feel for noting any differences in the running of the car, and it certainly improved.

It's been two weeks since I had the service and the GU is running the best it ever has so being the inquisitive type I rang and spoke to the Prolube rep to find out why this change had made such a difference. He told me that this particular 15/50 oil was specially deveoped for diesels like mine and I should even see a greater improvement by 30K's.

I have been meaning to write this up on the web since it occured but thought I may get shouted down as oils can't make that amount of difference. I'm hear to tell you that in my humble opinion it has and I will continue to use this product.

Cheers,

Patrick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:36

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:36
goodday patrick
do you thjink you are getting better kpl(milage)
steve
AnswerID: 99172

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:53

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:53
Hi Steve,

I had not thought to check so have just gone back on the last few fills to see what has happened. The first two are pre service and obviously the others are post. I rum Cooper ST,s so mine may use a slight bit more fuel thatn the normal road tryes fitted as standard.

KLms - 682.8, Fuel - 88.27Litres = 12.93 L/100
Klms - 919.10, Fuel - 114Litres = 12.93 L/100

Klms - 906.7, Fuel - 112Litres = 12.35 L/100
Klms - 746.1, Fuel - 92Litres = 12.32 L/100

My driving pattern is very similar from week to week so there looks to be a slight trend in the right direction happening here. I will keep an eye on this for future reporting.

Cheers,

Patrick

FollowupID: 357499

Reply By: snailbate - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:06

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:06
Hi Patrick
its called the coeficent of friction
If you put a More efeicent oil in all your diffs gearbox transfercase you will get beter fuel econmy but it will cost
snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 99198

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:28

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:28
Thanks for the input.

I am still amaized at the diffence the change has made. I have driven cars for over thirty years and never experienced such a performance differece before.

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 357539

Follow Up By: David Au - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:11

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:11
Patrick did they not give you spelling lessons at the advertorial course
AMAIZED should be Amazed
Twice taken Coopers and bodgy oil don't know which is worse
FollowupID: 357566

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:53

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:53
I'll be the devils advocate here.
You wouldn't happen to have an affiliation with Prolube would you Patrick?
AnswerID: 99238

Follow Up By: David Au - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:06
AWill4X4 it is Patricks first advertorial and a failure.
Using back yard oil businesses has a proven litany of problems.
These back yard oil businesses are popping up in droves and closing down as quickly. There is no way these back yard oil businesses can even come close to the technology, research and science of the majors.
FollowupID: 357561

Reply By: David Au - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:59

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:59
you would have to be a bit of a sucker to put oil into one of those 3.0 GU or for that matter any vehicle without knowing the background insurance coverage technical specifications etc. and especially with that engine and the problems while still under warranty. Using these backyard oil companies has a track record of problems.
You are absolutely dreaming if you think it made any difference. If you had said you put Mobil Delvac 1 or even Caltex Delo 400 then your post may have had some credibility. Unbelievable you expect people to swallow your post. Is this your first advertorial?
AnswerID: 99239

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:08

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:08
David,

I was using Mobil Delvac MX in my Patrol TD 3.0L since new in May 2000.
Never had any issues with it.
Have now bought the 2005 3.0L and will continue to use the Delvac MX.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 357746

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:10

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:10
Oh BTW, I'm agreeing with you, not doubting you.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 357748

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:43

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:43
Patrick, if you feel you are genuine I apologise!

HOWEVER I have never heard similar claims about ANY oil OR additive in all my years driving, and working on cars, both diesel and petrol.
I've heard some amazing claims, 99.99% of which are rubbish, but that one is an absolute beauty. I hope you are correct, though sadly I doubt it.
Cheers
AnswerID: 99345

Reply By: Patrick - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:00
It is indeed a sad day when the point you make is looked upon as a treat to others. We are all allowed to make our opinions known on a range of topics and experiences that cross our daily paths and this was just mine.

If this threatens the fabric of life for some so be it. As I said in my original post, it is only my humle opinion and really that's all that counts in my book.

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 99355

Follow Up By: banjodog - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:50

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:50
Patrick, forget about what the clowns above said. If you feel it made a difference then that's what counts - you were just stating your opinion.

There will always be someone who endorses the tall poppy syndrome - they need to live a little themselves. Obvoiusly you did make them feel threatened for such a scathing attack on you. What a bore to be (with) someone who challenges every little thing in life - if they didn't agree, tough, it wasn't directed to them anyway.

Even you did use Shell, Castrol, Penrite you'd be hard pressed to make a claim against them - no more than Prolube - in the event of a component failure and Nissan were to blame the lubricant you used.

Prolube have been in the market place since 1988 - hardly an overnight "backyard oil company" - it may well be well known oil just blended a little more truth be known.

Who cares if it's your 1st posting or 101st posting. I read lots of verbal dribble here but I don't take offence or quickle jump on and challange ever word written.

Just do what you need to do. As for spelling or punctuation - who gives a squat - this forum isn't a lecture in English anyway - just sharing ideas I thought.
FollowupID: 357692

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:48

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:48
Patrick when you make such totally outrageous and impossible claims like "and had the most amaizing (amazing) experience" that are technically impossible and with the rest of the jargon used, it is so damn obvious it is an advertorial. There are some suckers that will believe anything, but you cannot fool everybody. The next thing you will be telling us you dumped some Proma oil fuel treatment in and got an extra 50km/litre. Better luck next time with your advertorial.
Banjodog where did you pop up with all the information that would generally be unknown by the general public. Another new logon trying to defend the indefensible of an advertorial. Anybody that uses a backyard oil business need to see a psychiatrist or they are technically bereft - probably both.
FollowupID: 357732

Follow Up By: banjodog - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:54
Ah, poor little david, still feel threatened I see. Knock, knock, knock, is there anybody in there - "all the information that would generally be unknown by the general public" - just do a search for Prolube, wasn't hard you know. You really do show your limitations - doesn't mummy let you use the keyboard?

And your qualifications in the auto trade are???? As I thought nil. No I'm not another new logon either, and yes I have been an A grade mechanic since 1977. So again not new to this sort of site or subjects discussed, so I'm more than qualify to make comment.

No I don't use Prolube either and whether I agree or disagree with what Patrick said is irrelevant. It's just clowns like you DA that wish to cut people down and get a kick out of it - so where's your expertise in the oil industry to take such a dislike to what was said? Yeah, thought so. Doesn't mummy let you play with the car either? Is that why you're so upset?

If you didn't agree with Patrick, fine, just read it and move on - the only person you are belittling is yourself.
FollowupID: 357743

Reply By: snailbate - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 20:38

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 20:38
hi guys
Why dont you read the 4WD MONTHLY they run a article of the same kind of thing we are all debating I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE AU OIL CO i may be incorrect but they changed the oil in two vehicles or it could be one vehicle i have not a copy of the mag and they put it on a 4 whd dynomonter and found there is a difference in the amount of KW at the wheels when you put diferent oils in the engine and as i said before it is called the coeficient of friction it is a well known fact
I canot rember which month but it was i think up to 3 months ago befor xmas 2004
if i find the mag i will put the article on line
snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 99547

Sponsored Links