rodeo overcharging uniden safe voltage

Submitted: Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2062 Views:2104 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a rodeo diesel 2.8 and transferred a uniden 011 uhf into it. It worked fine until the engine was started. A check of the charging voltage revealed a charge rate of 18.2 volts. Replaced voltage regulator and charging voltage is now 14.8 volts which I believe is still to high. The owners hand book states that if the volt meter on the dash is not between 11 and 16 volts to see your holden dealer but 11 volts is too low and 16 is too high in my opinion. Also since overhauling alternator the ignition lights and momentarily flash on when changing from 1st to 2nd gear which didn't happen before. Can somebdy shed some light on the problem and also tell me what the safe maximum voltage for the uniden 011 uhf radio is. Thanks in advance for any replies that may solve this problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
Rowdy.
This is intreging problem, the 18.2 volts indicates the regulator was not functioning correctly, this means that the output voltage of the alternator would have been proportional to speed. If you measured 18.2 at idle then reving the motor the voltage could have gone well over 20 volts which would have damaged the radio. 14.8 is the correct voltage for the alternator. The radio should be easy to fix as it will be the output chip as the rest of the circiut is protected by a voltage regulator inside the radio. asfar as the ignition light flashing when changing gears thats not so easy, I would be rocking the motor on its mounts to look for a loose wire. good luck.
Eric.
AnswerID: 6998

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
As Eric says 14.8 should be ok for a normal battery. Gel & AGM types like lower charge voltages (around 14.4 max I think). A lot of regulators these days are set for 14.6 volts, which gives more protection against overcharging, but doesn't quite charge the battery as fully as 14.8 will.

Best time to measure the output voltage of the alternator is after a long trip, without stopping the vehicle. This way the battery is fully charged, so won't affect the reading.
AnswerID: 7010

Sponsored Links