Delicia spacegear

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:28
ThreadID: 20628 Views:5088 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Anyone have any feedback on the grey imports Mitsubishi Delicia-spacegear?
I am thinking this would be a great unit for the missus and kids and double up when we need to get the boat and camper to a(light duty) 4x4 location.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:41

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:41
Depends on what you want to do with them , they can be an excellent choice.

They use Pajero Motor and Running Gear. 2.8 TDi , with ALL the creature comforts you can think of.

Insurance is still a bit of an issue with these (not all insurance co's are interested) , and some parts are not easily obtained (Bishi Aust , dont want to know).

Wolfie owns one , and they have their own Website and forum
http://www.delicaclub.com/
AnswerID: 99283

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:44

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:44
Been away with one a few times. Apart from the body roll they seem ok. It struggled a bit until front lockers where put on. Have to watch front approach angle as well.

Great for family use because of the extra space. Not sure how they go towing. I know there is a delica club on the net, not sure of the address thou.
AnswerID: 99284

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 18:29
Okay, I've had a Space Gear for 2 years now.

2.8 Litre Intercooled Turbo Diesel. 3 Speed Auto with overdrive. Transfer case is Mitsubishi "Super Select."

We bought this simply because it was there, we know the chap that imports them, and this was the one that he wanted to keep for himself.

On road............. in one word..........excellent! really good fuel economy, wether you do 80 kmh, or 120 kmh. Absolutely a real dream to drive, and the seating position is the best I have ever experienced.

Off road.............. okay. Probably on par with Pajero, well, sort of. Pajero would really be better. Ground clearance is an issue. Torsion bars on the front, and coils to the rear. Probably could lift around 40 mm., but then I will start to lose bottom out over creeks & stuff.
This vehicle has a split system air-conditioner, like what I mean is, a separate one for the front, and another one in the rear. The rear units condenser sits underneath the vehicle, just behind the front passengers seat, and needs serious guards fabricated to protect it properly.

Even though this vehicle has a chassis, there are no recovery points you can simply bolt on to. I welded my own on.

Unit comes with 15" rims, so tyre choice is narrowed down a little.

Room............. well............. there's just HEAPS! Simple, heaps of room. Our 2 kids are 21 & 19, so it's just Tracy & myself, and the dog. We removed the centre swivel seat, but left the rear fold ups in place, in case we want to ferry passengers.

Loading capacity........... okay I guess.I can't remember what its rated as, but probably around 800 kg. or something. When it's really loaded up for an extended trip, you start to notice it.
I personally would NOT like to tow with this vehicle. I think it's a little underpowered for long distance towing.

Servicing......... okay. I have had the same mechanic for around 16 years, and he looks after ALL my vehicles (4), and my two kids as well. He just simply goes about his business, and deals with things as they arise. So far we have had no problems, except for a replacement glow plug relay.

We use ours a lot to go kayaking, and it's a bugger loading & unloading, because of it's height. I would be thinking seriously before fitting roof racks to hold luggage etc. Don't be fooled by that ladder looking thing on the back door............. get rid of it............it's NOT A LADDER. It is a rack to hold snow skis. The japs are too little to be able to reach to the roof!!

For what you have explained to me, I think it may suit you. The Spacegears have succesfully done the CSR, Simpson, Cape York, and others......... so it is still a capable vehicle in its own right. Not a Nissan or Toyota, but still okay.

I personally know 5 people who own Spacegears, and they all like them. I have even toyed with the idea of getting another one, but manual transmission, and white in colour.

BTW, there is a tour company operating here in SA, that does Flinders Ranges tours, in Spacegears.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 99351

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:37

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:37
I'm imagining Wolfie climbing that ladder thingy. Scary thought, might need a bit of reinforcing.
FollowupID: 357685

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:13

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:13
ROTFLMAO! Holey crap Wolfie! I was bangin my hand on the desk laughing after looking at your second Rig Pic!! Good one mate!
FollowupID: 357690

Sponsored Links