camping at Uluru and Kings Canyon

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:21
ThreadID: 20641 Views:20017 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Central Australia in April. Prefer to bush camp rather than pay exorbitant fees. Does anyone know spots to camp at Uluru and Kings Canyon that won't cost a fortune ( preferably nothing!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:40
Kings Creek Station back from the canyon is more laid back....more bush style, there is a charge but there are facilities, very friendly and they put on a night show in the high season.
AnswerID: 99337

Reply By: cloughie - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:42

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:42
Bush camping in not allowed in either of the areas. There is camping available at Curtin Springs but it is a roadhouse and a bit primitive. The camp fees at Uluru and Kings Canyon are not to bad as the amentities are first class. It is the food,fuel etc that is quite expensive but considering the isolation it is understandable .However the supermarket at Uluru was great value and they give an extra 10% discount off the bill if you spend more than $100. Both locations are stunning so don't be negative before you arrive, worrying about camp costs. We went last April. Pay out the money and enjoy the experience.
AnswerID: 99339

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:26

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:26
found the fuel at yulara quite cheap in may 03 certainly the cheapest from broome through the top end and red centre
FollowupID: 357708

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:12

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:12
If you go all that way and spend all that dough on fuel don't compromise the experience for few bucks.
At Uluru, if you can afford it, book yourself on "The Sounds of Siilence Dinner". You are picked up late afternoon taken to a spot in the desert, served champagne and canopies while you watch the sun set over behind the Olgas and reflected OFF "the Rock) You're servged a 3-course meal (White linmen and silver ware) and good wine and finally treated to a star gazing talk.
My wife and I still talk about that dinner and it has been about three or four years since we were last there... sigh!!!!
AnswerID: 99342

Follow Up By: judes - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:23

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:23
The dinner sounds wonderful! I wasn't trying to be cheap but rather prefer a bit of solitude! Seems that at Uluru and Kings Canyon the money will be well spent - at least we'll be clean as well as enjoying a great experience. Looking forward to the trip.
FollowupID: 357666

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:34

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:34
As Cloughie says.....prices are reasonable at Yulara for most things ..... EXCEPT motel style accommodation and alcohol. Camping beats the roof over your head problem - take every drop of alcohol that you intend to enjoy - at the only pub in town, "happy hour" is a sombre affair (mournful even) - disgusting prices - "normal" prices would see tourists sobbing uncontrollably... and remember...if you miscalculate with your beer (it is a thirsty place) you can't buy a slab - not for sale - only 6 packs, at the price of a slab !
AnswerID: 99344

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 18:13

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 18:13
The Camping Ground at Uluru is in the same area as the Resort complex, but the prices weren't so bad.

Be prepared however for a slug of a different kind.
To visit Uluru (Eyre's Rock) or the Olga's, you need to buy a four day pass to gain admittance to the National Park where both are located.

The Camp Ground, etc. is something like 15 K's from "The Rock" itself.
Worth the visit, just for the look. (even though the indigenous people prefer you don't climb the rock)

King's Canyon is something else. The Camping Ground / Motel Complex is again a few kilometers away from the Canyon itself. But IMHO this "tourist attraction" is simply the best. If you are able to, spend the time to do the canyon walk. It takes about three hours of easy walking, once you climb to the top to start with and you can take a dip in the water hole, so if you are keen, wear your bathers.

King's Canyon is not "spoiled" in any way and was one of the highlights of our visit to the "Red Centre".
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 99348

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:02

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:02
Not much by way of bush camps in the area. Our last trip we had 4 adults and 2 kids in our vehicle, so it was considerably cheaper to camp at Curtin Springs (free, but you pay for the shower or a powered site) and drive to Uluru each day.

However, since you get robbed blind at the entrance for a 3-day pass (even if you only want 2 days), it might be worth the extra dollars to stay at Ayers Rock Campground in Yulara, and save the 80-odd km drive each way.

Next trip (the one in June) we'll probably camp at least 1 night at Yulara.

Re Kings Canyon, there's nothing unless you pay for it. Kings Creek Station was unbelievably expensive, but the caravan park at Kings Canyon Resort was reasonable (this was in Sept 2003).

Regards
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99390

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:14

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:14
Judes
I am not sure about the 'legality' but there are some good bush camping opportunities on the road that runs N-S between the Lassiter Hwy and the Kings Canyon Rd (more so in the top half of this road). There are some nice stands of desert oak and you can get quite a long way off the road behind a few dunes and you could be a million miles from anywhere. Of course, leave no rubbish or streamers.
I agree that both Kings Canyon and Uluru are pretty noisy (although I suspect it was us making most of the noise). I am not averse to paying to stay at these places, in fact we stayed in one of the luxury 'spa suites' at KC last July. It was brilliant.
AnswerID: 99437

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:33

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:33
Judes we stayed at Yulara last July, I think it cost $28 approx for powered site, and the kids were free - at that stage they were 3 & 4, the amenities block was ok, it's a very busy place with lots of tour groups etc coming in and out and there's a bit of a rush in the morning for those getting up to see the sunrise. You can also have silverservice breakfast and watch the sunrise over the rock and I believe it is very good, we didn't do that, but the Wombat family did and spoke about the wildlife they saw. We did several trips back and forth from the camp ground and enjoyed our time there, we didn't get the 3 day pass as we had bought a pass in Kakadu that covered the Rock as well - which turned out to be cheaper in the long run.

Overall the campground there was no better and no worse than a lot of other places that you stay at.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 99452

Sponsored Links