mitsubishi challenger

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:06
ThreadID: 20647 Views:4724 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
what's everyones veiws on the challengers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:55

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:55
Ours suits us but like anything it has its limitations. We have driven it over anything we have been game to tackle and it has performed OK.
Comfortable on long trips, good enough performance, not too thirsty and tows well.
Big turning circle, power everything and spark plugs situated under there somewhere are not a plus, but there you go.
I'd love one in diesel
Camper
AnswerID: 99410

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:10

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:10
One further thought,Peter. Put Challenger in the search section of the forum and you will get further info.
Camper
AnswerID: 99412

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:33

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:33
What are you going to do with it.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 99432

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:15

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:15
A bit of a secret weapon. A much under-rated vehicle. Pity there is no diesel!
AnswerID: 99458

Reply By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:54

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:54
Gday Peter,
We just got rid of our challenger. For the time we had it it was an honest goer. We towed a 20' van with it and also a C/T. both with out a lot of dramas. Though you had to work it through hills etc. Had the thing off road and performed well with all we threw at it. The whole thing is based on the Triton. In summary an honest wagon.and only changed it over for more towing power
AnswerID: 99470

Reply By: slyonnet - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 14:56

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 14:56
Hi Peter,

I am very pleased with my Challenger. I didn't know it existed until I started to look for a new 4by last year. Decided to consider it with others I already heard off in the same price and off-road capability category anyway. When I compared it to the others I was actually surprised that for most of the points I was looking for to choose my new vehicle he was coming first. So I bought it and don't regret it. Performs well on sand and on bitumen. Haven't got a chance to take it on the dirt on in the hills yet so couldn't tell you but from what the others said it looks OK too.
Fuel consumption, clearance, approching and departure angles are quite good too.

I am stunt that Mitsubishi does not advertise it at all as it is not getting the publicity I think it deserves. For example Overlander never did a test drive of the Challenger but how many of the BMW?

Are you looking at getting one?
AnswerID: 99493

Reply By: Froilan - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 16:13

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 16:13
Went on a 4wd training course 3 years ago and one of the trucks was a challenger. did all the tracks all the other "more serious" trucks tackled and only got stuck once uphill. was a pretty serious hill with deep holes. It reversed a few meters, picked a new line, and up it went.

apart from that, not a problem. it kept up with the patrols, landy's, pajero's, etc. all day.

the couple who owned it could not be happier at the end of the day as it managed to keep up with the "big boys". as long as you know its limitations and do not do anything stupid.
AnswerID: 99496

Reply By: cookie - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:48

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:48
Much the same as everyone has said. Sound reliable vehicle, resonable performance, good economy.

I've owned one for about 2 years now and done a fair bit of exploring around the pilbara/kimberley region, GRR planed for later this year.

Will get you just about anywhere the average punter wants to go. Not for hardcore offroading but not designed to be. Having said that they are no soft roader either. Full chasis, low range gear box, reasonable suspension travel.

Good allround vehicle.

Cookie

AnswerID: 99512

Follow Up By: kimprado - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:42

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:42
Hi Peter,
I had a Challenger, which by the time I sold it at 90,000km, had done a lot of rough work throughout the Outback and high country of Victoria. I agree with the above postings. It is one of the most underated 4wd on the market and I would put that down to a lot of dribble in magazines.
Not once did that truck break down, nor did I have to take it back to the dealer with problems.
It's dust sealing for example leaves my new Prado for dead and quite frankly I'm yet to be convince the Prado is as robust, only time will tell.
The reason I sold the challenger was because I needed a vehicle that I could spec up in a rather unusual way. Unfortunately I couldn't do that with the Challenger.
Regards
Kim
FollowupID: 357860

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 20:51

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 20:51
I can't believe I'm saying this but - at this point in time the Challenger is most probably the best 'buy' of the smaller 4wds - you get a 'real' 4wd and the current deals (in Perth at least) are on the very good side of good. Not too difficult to lift up a bit and turn into something that can go just about any place. Heaps better than the pretend brigade (Sorrento and friends) and right now better value than it's big sister the Pajero. What more do you want - an honest baby truck that is resonably basic (sort of anyway) and at a good price. If only it didn't come with those 3 diamonds they would sell sh$tloads. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 99557

Follow Up By: peter d - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 21:38

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 21:38
thanks a mil guys, you all have said the right things, i am in the market for a 4x4 to tow a 17" van and do a little off road work nothink to serious, looking at them all and the challenger came up so thought i better look at them as well. like what i have seen and heard just leaves a test drive in one. thanks again to all that answered my post. peter
FollowupID: 357878

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:09

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:09
Peter,
Check out the latest copy of 4WD Monthly their's a write-up on the Challenger V's the Rexton V's the Patthfinder.

HTH
AnswerID: 99579

Sponsored Links