Stone Chips From the trailer.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:30
ThreadID: 20655 Views:3344 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Here is my question what is the best way to stop big goonies from bouncing of the trailer through my back window? I have had this happen on the way to Bollards once and as much as I love the country out there I didn't appreciate having it blow into the car with me, Then going home with an inch (SEEMED that much) of bulldust inside the car was no fun.

Regards and thanks for any help in advance.
Warndu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PatC - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:42

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:42
Hi warndu,
I use a stone guard made out of shade cloth on a gal pipe frame attached to the draw bar on the trailer. The shade cloth is loose and deadens the impact of stones hit it. If it's tight it work like a tramoline and throws the stones back at you. You can see it in pic number 5 in my Photo Gallery.
I've towed the trailer over a lot of dirt including a Cape York trip with no broken back window. (Touch wood) :-)

See Ya
PatC
AnswerID: 99405

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:14

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:14
warndu,

You need all the protection available.

eg. Mesh stonegard on trailer. (to protect trailer)
and, cover over rear window of vehicle. (cardboard, acrylic, etc.)
and, full width mudflap across rear of vehicle.

Then, just maybe, you will have sufficient protection.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 99413

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:29

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:29
Warndu,

I have seen all types of protection used and the more the better.

The shade cloth across the front of the trailer is a must, and something on the back window.

The empty beer box is a good start, but if you do not want to advertise the product then I have seen the heat sheilds that are used on the front windscreen taped to the rear screen. Worked well in the Kimberley last year.

Wayne
AnswerID: 99415

Reply By: howie - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:46

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:46
at the risk of repeating myself from a few days ago-
get something on your back windows ie cardboard or plastic but some people seem to forget that when you put body lifts and 50mm suspension on, and leave the old mudguards on, there is a big gap twixt road and mudguard.
especially with at's or muddies flicking bigger stones around.
step 1 - buy a carton of your favourite beer.
step 2 - drink the beer
step 3 - cut the empty carton into window size shapes
step 4 - gaffer it to the rear window
step 5 - buy another carton to replace the one you've drunk
step 6 - enjoy
AnswerID: 99426

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:14

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:14
sounds like a bloody good idea to me ...buying another slab that is hehehe
FollowupID: 357751

Reply By: Dodgy - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:15

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:15
Hi Warndu, the tramp on the drawbar of the trailer helps heaps and the beercarton helps heaps too.. I use bubble wrap taped onto the back doors and windows.Also if you are going to fit extra mudflaps across the rear make sure they aren't to low cos if the touch the road while driving they help flick goolies up as well.. happy motoring.. Regards Dodgy..

Keep your whistle wet and your powder dry..;-)
AnswerID: 99438

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 14:16
See my latest at homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian - on the Jack Campo page.
Not a bad idea to have cardbaord on the rear window anyway, as a precaution.
Best idea is to channel the stones away in my view - not deal with them as they hit the car ! A wide, 45 degree mesh barrier on the front of the trailer will send all stones down and out - that worked for years on our previous camper.
AnswerID: 99489

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 16:33

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 16:33
Didn't work on mine Banjo.
Had a wide, 45 degree mesh barrier on the front of the trailer.
Still got a stone through the back window. Maybe it bounced off the barrier frame.
Just ask Ruth. The Birdsville Track is notorious for this problem and Ruth says use all of them.

That's why I say, employ as many as you can.

Personally, I think the barrier does little more than protect the trailer, or van behind it from "gravel rash"

The beer carton certainly works, but you can't see out of it and if it rains, you end up with a blob. I think it is only a temporary solution, but it will suit some people.

I have now purchased a purpose designed, high impact acrylic screen from Obie's Outbackin Melbourne. Worth the investment IMHO.
And I don't have any connection to Mike, or his business.
I just fluked their WEB site via a Google search.

I also plan to construct a full width mud flap across the back of the Jack, to provide a reduced chance of stones bouncing back into the vehicle paintwork and yes, the camper trailer has a mesh stoneguard as well.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 357824

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:28

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:28
Fair point Sandy - I agree re taking the "extra steps" to maximise the potential for a trouble free run. I have those steps in mind as insurance - had not decided how far to go yet...... as you say, its only one small stone that does it !
FollowupID: 357855

Reply By: Member - Landie - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 15:10

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 15:10
Hi

Call this guy if you want an easy solution.

http://www.obiesoutback.com.au/

Regards
AnswerID: 99494

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:12

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:12
Look at Adventure Camper Trailers setup ... they have a full width mesh 'skirt' under the draw bar from the front of the trailer to the rear bumper, it keeps all the stones & a lot of the dust under the trailer, so you don't need any other protection.
AnswerID: 99518

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:16

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:16
Just found a pic ..... look at top right photo!

http://www.adventureoffroadtrailers.com.au/hire%20details.htm
FollowupID: 357851

Follow Up By: johnsie - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:38
The only way to go and easy to setup but the only problem is the rocks will eventually cut the profile of the a frame out.used rubber on mine.
FollowupID: 357973

Reply By: waynet - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:52
warndu
The 3M company make an adhesive acrylic sheet that can be put on the rear window and will stand up to a blow from a hammer. It can also be used on headlights, driving lights etc. instead of the clip on protectors.I don't know the cost but it could be worth looking at.
waynet
AnswerID: 99592

Sponsored Links