Question for Wayne re winches

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 21:03
ThreadID: 20673 Views:2383 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
About to fit a winch to the 80 Series, most likely a Premier with plasma rope and remember a comment re soft couplings, explanation needed. Alternative a Ox
hydraulic, Dont know much about them, but remembered you have one on the Troopy. Rember this is for a solo traveler towing a 1800 kg van.
Mike B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:02

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 22:02
Mike,

The Ox winch came with the Troopie, but I have fitted a few when they first came out. TJM was the supplier.
The Ox winch is dearer than the Warn or Premier.
I have had very little to do with Premier Winches, like most I used Warn winches as they were the only winch on the market at the time.

OX winch has to be run with the motor at idle, Premier winch the revs have to be up at 1200rpm. This is not a problem with the 80 because you can use the hand throttle.
Ox winch is very slow but has a ratting of 10,000lb. It also has a quick rewind for the cable. The Ox winch can not be tampered with the same as a electric. It might be a urban myth, but who knows, it is possible. Having said that there are ways around the miss use of the electric winch.

I would be inclined to go for the Premier Winch and a hand winch. You can not always pull your vehicle forward.
There is a lot more that just the winch regaurdless of what winch you go for.
Snatch blocks, Tree Trunck Protectors, Winch Extension Straps, Bow Shackles, Air Brakes, Drag Chains, and recovery points.
The money that you save on the the Premier Winch over the Ox will pay for a lot of the recovery gear.

As for the Plasma rope, I have only seen it in competition so that they don't have to wear gloves. It is very expensive. I still like the steel cable.

"soft couplings" I can not recall saying anything about them, but it could be the protective sleeve that is in the eye of the rope.

Do you have a recovery point on the back of the van?

Wayne

AnswerID: 99578

Follow Up By: Member - Michael B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:30

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:30
Wayne, thanks, must have been Dave talking about the coupling when we were all playing with the recovery. Sounds like the Premier will be the way to go and will look at the Plamsa rope. All the recovery gear including the hand winch is onboard from the previous weekend.
Yes,do have recovery point on rear of van.
Mike B
FollowupID: 357942

Sponsored Links