Camping injuries

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:34
ThreadID: 20694 Views:2302 Replies:12 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I sliced my finger recently whilst on holidays at Beachport SA, sharpening the tip of my fishing knife, holding the steel further up from the handle, brought the knife blade too far back and wham, the only thing stopping me from slicing the tip right off was my fingernail. I have got a good macro shot of it but cant work out how to post a j-peg sorry

Just for entertainment value, anyone got any good holiday/camping injury stories they wish to share?

D-Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:53

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:53
Coming back from Tassie in January I was replacing the idler pulley for my aircon. As I was tightening the pulley bolt my hand slipped off the spanner and I gave an uppercut to the bash plate. Left me with two fingers on my right hand very bruised and bloody. In fact most things I touched were bloody after that. I ended up washing it, bandaging it and using a chopstick as a splint. This was in Moree. Took about two weeks for the swelling to go down. My Wife thought I was going to die LOL.

Although my favourite is when we were kids camping on Moreton Island. My brother was holding a pippy in his hand and trying to prize it open using a knife. When the pippy gave way the knife went straight through the pippy and into the palm of his hand.
AnswerID: 99657

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:31

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:31
The mother in law fell down a cliff on the Murray River. She had snapped both bones in her leg. She could not be carried back up the cliff, they had to get a boat from the other side to take her to a waiting ambulance. With her out of the way we continued on with our weekend, tough old thing.
Dean
AnswerID: 99665

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:08

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:08
Knocked the end of my RH big toe with a 30.30 ........... very embarrasing and hurt like sh1t at the time.

All fixed now (it was years ago) ... It's just a wee tad shorter than my left one.

....... ;-D

Cheers
AnswerID: 99675

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:59

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:59
How lucky are you!...I mean to not take off your whole foot. how did it happen?...can never learn too many lessons when it comes to firearms.

As kids our parents used to take us spotlighting on the bonnet of the ute...something I wouldn't dream about doing now...I was holding the spotlight when I heard the crack of the .22 and saw the smoke in the spotlight beam, had just missed my foot...my sister who was shooting was testing if the safety was on.
FollowupID: 358006

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:08

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:08
Yeah .. It's a bit of a long story. Still go shooting .. let's just say I was fairly careful before the event ... bloody near paranoid with gun safety now.

Another thing. At the time I was wearing a pair of Blundstones. Now as we all know, they claim them to be bullet proof ... bullsh1t I say.

How many blokes do you know that've been shot .... even in the big toe ... LOL :-)))

Cheers
FollowupID: 358008

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:18

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:18
You mean the Blunnies didn't stop a 30.30?? Do you still have them? I'd like to see a pic of the exit hole. And no such thing as paranoid with safety...you dont get a second chance...or another big toe lol
FollowupID: 358009

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:54

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:54
Fortunately or otherwise .. depends on your point of view, the offending item is no longer with us. It spent many years hanging up on a nail in a wall at the “Texas Hilton” … read shooting shack, complete with a live round through the entry hole.

It was only last September that it went to the dump. The property owner had the temerity to sell off the property, so we needed to relocate to another spot. I was kinda glad to see it go. Copped enough sh*t from the blokes over the years I can tell you.

The first year after the incident I was presented with a plastic toy shooter … had to sneak around the paddock pointing it at critters and yelling BANG !!.

As for the holes, entry was round and neat as a pin … about 30 calibre in diameter, I’d say. Exit was hardly noticeable as the rubber sole merely opened up then closed off again.

Didn’t feel a thing at the time, but boy oh boy did it throb later. Needed large doses of XXX laudanum together with Panadol Forte.

When I fronted the Mater Emergency the doc just shook his head and said … bloody engineers, you bastards were mad when I was at uni … I see nothing’s changed.
FollowupID: 358012

Reply By: The Rambler - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:13

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:13
This might be some usefull info for all outback travellers.A few years ago I wasin Diamond Gorge(off the Gibb r.rd.) when Icut my instep very badly with a broken glass.There was a quallified male nurse there--very lucky--and eventually he managed to stop the bleeding and close the wound with some Butterfly Clips that I had in my first aid kit.These things are absolutely incredible in an emergency and I would advise everyone to have them in there kit.They are available at any chemist.
Safe Travelling!!
AnswerID: 99677

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:28

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:28
I'll add Opsite to that. Invaluable. It's the clear "skin" that goes over larger lacerations and holds everything together. Is waterproof and stops anything getting to the wound. My son cut his heel very badly on a scooter and the Doc said stitches wouldn't hold in that location and put Opsite on instead. Incredible stuff.
FollowupID: 357996

Reply By: Wombat - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:27

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:27
We were standing around the camfire once, bragging about who was the toughest when I decided to seize the opportunity to prove that, indeed it was I, by stoking the campfire with a certain part of my anatomy. It hurt like the bejabers!
AnswerID: 99679

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:38
Mate ...

I reckon that bit must be bigger than your brain .... LOL !!!

Cheers cob
FollowupID: 357999

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:38
sorry Wombat, you leave yourself open, weren't you supposed to use a poker? hheheh I hope you will be more precise in your description....
FollowupID: 358045

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:54

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:54
I was riding trailbikes with mates years ago, and I was talked into trying the little Honda 100 for a bit of fun, the kickstarter swung around and sliced a rather nice gash down my shin. One of the blokes camping with us said he's stictch it up. I thought he was kidding till he pulled out a firstaid kit that looked like a huge tacklebox, full of stitches and needles. Did 6 stitches by torchlight....he was a qualified anastesiologist...anathesi....bloke who puts patients to sleep.

A more embarassing one was before I had my own license but my mate did, we were at the Grampians and I was chasing rabbits on foot while my mate held the spotlight...I ran head first into a broken tree branch as thick as my arm..Then I had to have a debate with my mate about if I needed to go to the hospital as it was a bit out of the way...blood running down my face and him reading me quotes from a firstaid book "scalp wounds are often not as bad as they appear". End result was he relented and I got a few more stitches to add to the collection.

I carry those wound closure strips now too, and they have been invaluable. Definitely whack a pack or 2 in the firstaid kit.
AnswerID: 99682

Reply By: Squizzy - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:33

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:33
What kind of crank would want to start a topic about injuries, and then even talk about posting photos of such.

Starting to slide I think.
AnswerID: 99773

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:39

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:39
Funny, don't remember law ever coming in making you read a thread with a title you didn't like, let alone responding to it.

For those of us who actually explore Oz, like the website suggests, injuries happen. Sorry for talking light heartedly about something that 'happens'. Hope we didn't make you feel a bit "Squizzy!"

D-Jack.

FollowupID: 358093

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:27

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:27
It's a very appropriate post, it reminds us all that there are consequences for not thinking things thru, that accidents can and do happen, and we should be prepared for everything, not just getting bogged or keeping the drinks cold etc.
FollowupID: 358100

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:18

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:18
You've reminded me of my mate, took the useless big barsteward, all 2 metres of him to Fraser Island years ago. Dopey bugger stood on a round jaffle iron and had the pattern in blisters on the sole of his foot.
Took the big dope down to the shop at Rainbow Beach next day, he sits down at a table and shoves his foot on the back of a chair.
Some bloke comes and sits beside him and does exactly the same thing. Obvious question, "What's wrong with your foot mate?"
Two almost identical answers, stood on a jaffle iron, one square, one round. Both had the pattern to prove it.
Tom the big useless bugger now lives in the home of his ancestors, you guessed it, Ireland.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 99809

Reply By: ev700 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:20

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:20
Told my mate when I took him fishing to always put the filleting knife back in its scabbard after use.

About an hour later I heard a yelp and there he was grey faced with over half of fhe filleting knife embedded in his thigh.

Appears he took it out of the sheath and was swinging his arms as he walked a few metres to cut some bait (yeah with my filleting knife!). You've guessed it, it slipped into the back of his lright thigh as he swung his arm past his leg.

The blade fell out after some seconds and off to the hospital we went, ending the fishing. He was lucky not to hit an artery.

Everyone gets sick of me reminding them to sheath knives or put them down in a safe place after use.

EV700
AnswerID: 99848

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 03:01

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 03:01
I've had a few near misses when I was out prospecting for many years. In one instance I set myself on fire!

I was having a squiz at some ground about 200 kms NE of Laverton in WA, right on the edge of the desert. It was late December and it was ##@@@in' HOT -about 42c. I'm a compulsive tea drinker and it was about 3.00 pm so I stoked up the fire and put the billy on.

I stood with me back to the fire "looking at the day", thinking "S**T, that north east wind is like standing in front of a blast furnace". I stood a few minutes longer and thought "S**T, my legs are bloody hot, that wind's bloody murder".

Now, when I'm out prospecting, my attire is "ragged" - I resemble a tramp. My strides were all ragged, frayed and torn at the bottom of the legs and sure enough they were now on fire big time. The nearest water was about 5 mtrs away, it was no use rolling myself in tinder dry grass. I ran for the water but I also set fire to the grass as I ran. I was on me ownsome and nearly lost me camper, truck - everything before I put out meself and the grass fire. Dead Lucky.

On another occasion I had a Honda genny blow up in me face and start a grass fire. That was even closer to a bush fire than the the first story. But that's another story!

Bilbo

Bilbo
AnswerID: 99852

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:46

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:46
I will skip ever going to WA if the winds are so hot you can't tell the difference when your pants are on fire!....and you HAVE to tell us the Honda genny story
FollowupID: 358121

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:34

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:34
Just for Gajm -"The Honda Genny story."

I was out prospecting with 2 mates at a place called Duketon. That's approximately 100 kms NE of Laverton in WA. I'd had the very reliable 2 stroke Honda genny fer years, never had a prob with it except for the odd clean out of the muffler. The usual 2 stroke thing.

Anyway, one evening I went back to camp early to get some tucker on the go. The others stayed out and we're gonna be guided in by the light from the genny. It was getting on about 7.30 pm when the fuel ran out in the little genny. So I refuelled it from a 5 litre can of petrol mix and put the cap back on the genny and the can. Went to pull the starter and it 'no-go'. Pulled again and again. Still no go & by this time it's flooded. So as usual, pull the spark plug out and pull the starter rope to blow out the excess fuel.

Unfortunately, I left the spark plug connected to the HT lead and it earthed as I was pulling the starter rope. PLUS, I'd spilled some fuel over the engine as filled it in the dark. And WHHOOMPAH,BOOPMPHA, FLASHbleepoff and there was no dinner!!

"Where's the genny, where's the tea? What'sa matter with your hair? What happened to yer face? What's that smell? You bin smoking ganja?" etc,etc.

"Beans on toast fer tea" was the reply and off to bed I went.

The following morning, we had a look around the area and we were all amazed at the amount of grass that had gone up and the amount of grass that I'd put out in what seemed like 10 seconds!

In Laverton hospital 3 days later - 2nd degree burns WITH an infection. Learned a lot from that little episode I did.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 358245

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:09

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:09
Hmmm,,,,,,,,,a heap of the story went missing there??? So here's the full version.....

Just for Gajm -"The Honda Genny story."

Firstly Gajm, in summer the wind can get that hot that you'd swear you were close to a camp fire. It's like standing in front of a blast furnce with the door open. Anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was out prospecting with 2 mates at a place called Duketon. That's approximately 100 kms NE of Laverton in WA. I'd had the very reliable 2 stroke Honda genny fer years, never had a prob with it except for the odd clean out of the muffler. The usual 2 stroke thing.

Anyway, one evening I went back to camp early to get some tucker on the go. The others stayed out and we're gonna be guided in by the light from the genny. It was getting on about 7.30 pm when the fuel ran out in the little genny. So I refuelled it from a 5 litre can of petrol mix and put the cap back on the genny and the can. Went to pull the starter and it 'no-go'. Pulled again and again. Still no go & by this time it's flooded. So as usual, pull the spark plug out and pull the starter rope to blow out the excess fuel.

Unfortunately, I left the spark plug connected to the HT lead and it earthed as I was pulling the starter rope. PLUS, I'd spilled some fuel over the engine as filled it in the dark. And WHHOOMPAH,BOOPMPHA, FLASH, BANG!!! and I was on fire, the genny was on fire, the grass was on fire. The bush was lit up like Baghdad on fireworks night!!

The base of the fire was underneath the genny, so I pulled me jumper off and wrapped it around the genny to extinguish that fire. Only to see that the 5 litre can was right next to the genny and the grass was on fire! First thing – get rid of that can of fuel. GRAB, RUN, DROP CAN, RUN BACK. Bugger me – I’m on fire as well!! Hairs on fire, eyebrows stinging, hands are burnt – I had petrol residue on my (apparently). Put me beanie on, that put out me hair, grabbed me Bluey jacket from the truck – that put out me hands ‘n I started on using the Bluey to put out the grass fire. I was flapping me arms like it was an unpowered attempt at the first flight by a human being!! A lunatic I was!

By this time I was fully cognisant of the fact that the breeze was blowing the grass fire right towards 3 camper vans – mine and me 2 mates. My thoughts at this time were along the lines of “If those campers go up, yer burns won’t me a thing – yer dead meat ‘cos yer mates are gonna lynch ya!”

Me mates returned about 20 minutes after it was all over. The place was in total “bush darkness”. No light, no campfire, no dinner with the just the dull glow of a lone cigarette bein’ smoked by me and the odd smell of burnt grass. They took the wrong turning 3 times ‘cos I didn’t have the floodlight on. I was surpised they didn't see the bloody fire!! They were cold, hungry, tired and almost lost. They weren’t happy little prospectors. But neither was I. I was hurting bad, I’d lost me favourite genny and I’d let me mates down.

"Where's the genny, where's the tea? What'sa matter with your hair? What happened to yer face? What's that smell? You bin smoking ganja?" etc,etc.

"Beans on toast fer tea" was the reply and off to bed I went.

The following morning, we had a look around the area and we were all amazed at the amount of grass that had gone up and the amount of grass that I'd put out in what seemed like 10 seconds!

In Laverton hospital 3 days later - 2nd degree burns WITH an infection. Learned a lot from that little episode I did.

And there's another short story about lighting camp fires with petrol,,,,but that's another story.

Bilbo

FollowupID: 358253

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 17:55

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 17:55
Thanks guys, I have tears of laughter in my eyes reading some of these!!!!

Touch wood, I dont recall any serious mishaps in all my travels, but I do remember a funny mates mishap!

While tramping around in the bush he descided to make a 'brew' on a little Hexamine stove. Set it up between his legs backside on the ground and leant over to get the coffee out of his pack. Knocked the mug off the stove and the sent the lot straight down hill to his crown jewels!!

Not pretty, heard the scream for miles! Skin just peeled off. Spent the next week pants around his ankles sitting with his butt in a bucket of medicated solution!!

Noone could helpbleepthemselves laughing as they passed him by!!

Nasty lesson learnt there!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 99956

Reply By: Pterosaur - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:15

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:15
I was under my vehicle of the time, applying a 12'' shifter to a stubborn nut (maybe on the pitman arm?) , finally broke the seal, shifter swung quickly smashing my knuckles against the steering arm - ordinary enough, but when I tried to pull my (sore) hand away it just stopped there ! A bit of wriggling around got my hand back - turned out there was a nice curly bit of steel which had neatly hooked the back of my knuckle to the steering arm !

More seriously, at camp on another occasion a mate slipped and put his hand into a container of hot (near boiling ) cooking oil while trying to keep his balance - the only thing that saved his hand was the fact that we had a temp-rite to cool the beer, which worked a treat in cooling his hand back down - although we did have to hand feed him drinks for quite a few hours !
AnswerID: 100024

Sponsored Links