Inverters

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:52
ThreadID: 20700 Views:1831 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Yeah Yeah - Done the Archives bit.

Could I please have some feedback on what inverters people are using and what they are using them for. I mainly want one for charging camera batteries and maybe running a laptop etc.. Has anyone had trouble with them? Does anyone think pure sinewave is important for the average punter?

Thanks in advance.

Gaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:02

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:02
HI Gary,

I bought a 300w one from ebay for $50 new available from jaycar
jaycar for $79.95 ( STOCK-CODE: MI5102 )

I have powered a drill, 12v soldering iron, recharged barrteries and my lap top from it with no worries what so ever.

I've been told that there are long term effects to batteries but I have yet to experience them. Also, I shouldn't have been able to use my drill but no hassles there either, granted it was only for a few seconds a time....

Up to you but a cheap modified sine wave inverter works for me...

AnswerID: 99685

Reply By: Gerry - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:45

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:45
I have a 200 watt as well as a 300 watt unit, both modified square wave. Have used both to charge camera batteries as well as charge/run laptops. I currently run a laptop continuously while on the move (Ozieplorer moving map) and have never experienced any problems whatsoever.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 99698

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 15:09

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 15:09
Yes there are long term effects on "switch mode" power supplies buy using square or modified square wave invertors to power them. However I ran both my laptop and video camera charger (both switchmode) of my modifed square wave for a while with no noticable problems (a few months on and off). The main problem is that switch mode power supplies are very unpredictable and inefficant running of square wave power sources. ie you will use more power generally speaking by using a sqaure wave rather than a sinwave.

I have recently upgraded to a pure sinewave inverter and am very happy with it, I would buy one if you have the $$$ but if not the modified sqaure wave would be the way to go. Unless you are running a light bulb only off it I would steer clear of the el cheap o' square wave units IMHO.

My 420w sinewave powers everything in my lounge room with the car at idle no problems and at only just over half load. My 350w Square wave would just cut out with the same load and not run at all.
AnswerID: 99706

Reply By: Skinnydog - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 21:28

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 21:28
got a 600w modified sine inverter for $100 s/hand and I run my laptop, camera charger, phone charger, 40w fluro and desk fan no problem at all.
you need pure sine wave for tv, video and the like.
AnswerID: 99795

Reply By: motherhen - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:10

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:10
I am curently seeking info on running a laptop for my photos off the caravan inverter (a prowatt 880i). Computer salesman suggests most need the pure sine wave type (i suspect mine inverter is but am trying to find out for sure). He has one laptop which he said would be OK on modified sine wave inverter. Why risk a laptop with a cheaper modified sine wave type, if you are buying the inverter. Choose the pure sine wave type as it will be safer with more modern appliances.
AnswerID: 99841

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 16:29

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 16:29
Thank you everyone - That is very useful information.

Regards,

Gaz
AnswerID: 99946

Sponsored Links