1984 L300 4x4 engine swap

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 15:27
ThreadID: 20706 Views:8751 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a petrol 2lt 1984 L300 4x4 5 speed manual, and am interested in putting a diesel engine in place of the petrol, could anyone suggest what vehicle i would need to look at to find a suitable engine swap with minimum mods required.
also i am trying to find the rear airconditioning system that was factory fitted as shown in the owners handbook....... very rare im told.
I have heard of a lift kit for my van but after phoning around havent been able to find any info on it, was or is it something ya can build from box tubing ?
any help or sugestions would be great
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 15:37

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 15:37
You would be looking at either the early 2.3 or 2.5 TD's out of an early pajero.

Not cheap , and costly to fix.

It would be an expensive conversion , unless you can do the majority of things yourself.

Probably worth FAR more then the vehicle is worth. Probably cheaper to get rid of it , and buy an early model Delica already setup with Turbo Diesel and Dual Air Con.
AnswerID: 99716

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 16:22

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 16:22
I think your vehicle may be of the non chassis design. The earlier models had full chassis and were east to lift. As fo a motor, I think anything out of the Triton/Pajero should fit without complication.
There a guy up near Wyong NSW - Gossies from memory- who's done a lot of work with the mighty Mitsies- can't give you contact details but.
Good Luck- I think they wre a good van...did heaps of tripping in mine before I sold it a while back. It was a 2.4 EFI/
AnswerID: 99730

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:24

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:24
Mark.
I have done a bit of work on L3oo lifts and repower and I agree with the sugestion on selling it and getting a delica. The reason is the problems of the conversion are huge.
The clutch wont fit so you go to a triton box modified to take the gear linkage. the motor is to long to fit behind the radiator so you move the body forward on the chassis then the tyres hit the body so you cut and weld the body then the air cleaner wont fit in the space so you riase the passenger seat then the battery is not big enough so you place a larger battery under the floor then the gear ratios are to low so you change the diffs and so on, I have done all this and it cost the price of a new vehicle and was no good anyway, you will not save money by doing it yourself because you will pay retail prices for all the tric bits, the amount of fuel saved is trivial compared to the cost of the conversion. Eric.
AnswerID: 99811

Reply By: mark gregory - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:48

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:48
ok sounds like i will be sticking to the modest power of the stock 2lt, and just enjoy driving her the way she was made from the factory, i have had this van for about 6 years and enjoyed her without any break downs, so looks like i will continue to do so till i upgrade to a delica,............ are they as reliable and strong and versatile as the l300
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
AnswerID: 99941

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 16:02

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 16:02
Your other alternative may be to put a 2.6 in. that would be a far easier swap , and depending on the motor , some actually bolt straight up to the existing gearbox.

As for the Delica , I doubt it would be any different to the L300.

Runs Pajero/Triton motor and gear.

The downside to them is the early ones , have their Radiator etc , mounted low down (much like the L300 I suspect). The newer ones have the motors mounted forward , with Radiator and Intercooler mounted normally.
FollowupID: 358170

Reply By: mark gregory - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:49

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:49
yes i think a 2.6 would be better then the 2lt or diesel convertion, i have heard of 2.6s being fitted in with little mods needed, but when ya ask around no one seems to know what engine i need to find to make it a bolt in fit, some even said i would need to mount the rad on the bumper bar to fit 2.6, and that the seat needed to be lifted.................... maybe i should post a new topic asking if anyone could give specific detals on this convetion,
i would like a 2.6 that run on unleaded.
i realy want to keep this van but would like it to have a little more power.
thanks for your advice.
AnswerID: 100137

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:55

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:55
AFAIK , the 2.6 (certainly the Sigma ones)were supposed to be just bored out 2.0l motors. the should be the same size.

Might be a case of getting a heap of measurements , for motor and gearbox , and go from there.

I would think though , early 2.6 sigmas would be where I woudl be looking.
FollowupID: 358340

Follow Up By: L300 owner - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:10

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:10
You need an Astron 2600 AUTO motor. Only this motor fits the 4WD bolt pattern, (at least that's what I've been told and it does bolt in). The radiator is another problem. Mine has a new radiator mounted about 4 inches further forward and a hole cut in the engine cover for the radiator cap. Not pretty but it works. Even with the bigger radiator it can run hot, (but I run straight LPG which may be the problem). It would be possible to fit a slightly bigger radiator, but I've only had problems while towing at high speed and "perhaps" a little overloaded! I don't think it gives any higher top speed, (maybe a bit less), but it is a pleasure to drive, and never seems to run out of power. As I run LPG I use an upper cylinder lubricator, probably a good idea on unleaded. I originally bought it for towing and it's never disappointed me. With twin tanks I get over 660 km range and it is economical.
FollowupID: 358712

Reply By: L300 owner - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:50

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:50
I posted a response on my experiences, but just had a look at the archive for "L300". There are some excellent responses that give many views on the subject. I've learnt that my 15" wheels are probably off a Pajero! No harm there as my speedo (taken from GPS) is accurate +/_ 3%. However, many people think that the Astron is a thirsty motor. Compared to my truck it's not, but then again it can't carry the weight of the truck! I'd suggest that you read the archives and probably correspond with a few people before taking any action. If you're near Brisbane or Sydney. I'm happy to come by so you can see my conversion, and I'm sure many others are the same.
AnswerID: 100558

Sponsored Links