reserve tank direct feed

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:09
ThreadID: 20713 Views:1775 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I just wanted to see if any one has done this. I assume that it would be possible. My 1999 GU Patrol 4.2td does not direct feed to the engine from the auxillery tank. It syphons from the auxillery to the main and is sent the the engine from there. Can it be re-configured to feed straight to the engine from the auxillery when you hit the magic button. I believe that this is how the Toyota's operate. Would be a pain in the rear end to get unrepairable damage to the main tank in the middle of nowhere with the current configuration. I would like to set the Auxillery up as a stand alone tank when I fit a long range.
Any thoughts or experience on this?

Regards,
Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:37

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:37
Matt,
I think you will find that the fuel is pumped across from the auxillery tank to the main.

The auxillery could be set up to feed the motor but you will have to do the following

A 6 port soleonid to pick up and return the fuel to the tank that you want the fuel to come from.

A return line from the 6 port solenoid to the aux tank

A switch to control the solenoid

When you get the long range tank, replace the aux tank for a bigger one (70lt)
and when it gets fitted they can do the modifaction then.

Who do you think will supply and fit the tank?

Wayne
AnswerID: 99758

Reply By: Matt H (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:44

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:44
Thanks Wayne,
That gives me a fair idea of what is needed to be done. And the fact that it's possible. I haven't decided on who to get the tank off yet. Was going to spend some time reading past posts for peoples thoughts on suppliers.

Matt
AnswerID: 99763

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:50

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:50
Matt,

What part of NSW do you live?

Wayne
FollowupID: 358048

Follow Up By: Matt H (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:24

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:24
Wayne,
Living in the Jervis Bay area on the South Coast.

Matt.
FollowupID: 358055

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:59

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:59
There is a mob that make a 81 litre replacement sub-tank for the GU, but I don't know if it's as good in quality as the 70 litre Long Ranger.

As for the idea of changing the feed pick-up system, my opinion is that it would be asking for trouble. The pumping system has worked perfectly well on my rig since 2000 and I would be very, very reluctant to muck around with it.

I've been along some pretty ordinary gravel roads (2 trips to Cape York for example) and have NEVER had an issue with my 145 litre Long Ranger tank. It hasn't even got any scrapes on it and certainly no dents etc.

In the unlikely event that it did actually get holed (& I've never heard of this happening on a GU with either the factory or aftermarket tank), I then think it would be time to climb underneath and change a few fuel lines around....It could involve cutting into the main fuel line near where it goes past the sub tank....but as I said, I cannot imagine this ever being necessary.

Cheers and let us know if you DO go ahead with the mod...

Roachie
AnswerID: 99826

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:28

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:28
Matt,
I'll stick with what Roachie says, I wouldn't muck with the original system, I've fitted the Long Ranger 145 litre tank and kept the original sub tank, the more you mess with it the more chance it has of mucking up. I've done some pretty rough stuff in mu GU so far no damage, plenty of stone chip rash around the edges but that's it, if the worst came to the worst you could work something out I'm sure connecting something to something, I also have a tin of some white goop that is good for sealing fuel leaks should I get one. Hope this helps, my opinions as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99832

Reply By: Matt H (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:29

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:29
Roachie and Martyn,

Thanks for your replies. I don't want to waste money where it's not needed. To many other toys to waste it on and not enough of it. Given your experiences and the fact I have never had a problem either I don't think I'll bother.

All the best,

Matt
AnswerID: 99846

Sponsored Links