I've taken the plunge

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:35
ThreadID: 20721 Views:2828 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today I traded in the Terracan (33,000kms) on a NEW diesel Terracan. Got a great deal. The dealer gave me the automatic gearbox for the price of a manual. He said the new car is a demo model (they just registered it the day before) and it has 43 Kms on the speedo. All up with swapping a lot of my extras I got the Terracan on the road for $40,000. A very happy Hyundai owner once again. Yes, I am persistant but will be looking forward to the extra fuel economy even taking in to account the extra services. I am 56 years of age and have decided that you can't take it with you so why not spend your hard earned dollars on something you want and will enjoy. I have decided that it is horses for courses and if the new Terracan is as good as the last one I will be bloody happy. The Patrol and Cruisers are a very nice vehicle but I am afraid for value for money and the job I want it to do I am a Terracan man. There is nothing with what the Terracan gives for the money available in Australia.
A report after a few thousand Kms.
Cheers
The Bigfella
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:44

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:44
Hey Brian
Congrats on the new truck. The only one who needs to be happy is you. Hope the new demo haha 43kms, thats fantastic, brings you much happy travels.
Enjoy

Crazie
AnswerID: 99819

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:48
Thanks Crazie

You are dead right, I am the ONLY one that needs to be happy.

Cheers
FollowupID: 358096

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:38
Hi Brian,

I reckon the Terracan is a very under-rated 4X4. I (well the wife) has a Hyundai Trajet (7 seat people mover) for 3 1/2 years and its been a great vehicle. The 5 year warranty is great, and it has covered the little things like the plastic hooks and seat back trays that my young kids swing off.

The Koreans have almost caught up to the japs in quality stakes, but are far better value for money IMHO. Have fun kitting out yout Terracan, I reckon thats one of the best bits!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 99833

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:21

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 00:21
Hi Brian,

Have fun and enjoy!

I have a Patrol which I intend to replace end this year. I must admit that the Terracan does appear to be good value.

May you enjoy many happy kms.

Hugh
AnswerID: 99844

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:31
Am curious about how you get on with part time 4WD with dial up selection of High & Low Range if you get transmission wind up. I know you have to swing pretty hard on the lever while dropping the clutch with the normal type, but was interested in the procedure in vehicles such as the Terracan & Pathfinder.
AnswerID: 99868

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:01

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:01
Well I've had two 4bies with push button H4 and have not found it to be a problem. The rocky has a dash mounted H4 switch with a transfer leaver for 4L and the surf has a button on the side of the transfer leaver for H4.

I have had small amounts of wind up in both and just flicking the switch will not disengage it, you need to drive off the road on to some gravel or sand and give it a kick in the guts (the surf being auto means you can't do anything with the clutch). Normally if you just pullover to the side of the road it'll come out by itself otherwise a stop and reverse may be in order that normally does the trick. Worst case just give it heaps and make the wheels spin, that'll free them up and let the electronic whiz bangery does the rest.
FollowupID: 358154

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:42

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:42
Good stuff. Be interested in hearing how it goes.

I looked at a Terracan when I bought my truck , but they dont have dual air con.
AnswerID: 99873

Reply By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:07

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:07
Good onya Brian, hope it gives you as much enjoyment as your last one.

P.S Did the tap finally turn up?

Cheers Paul..
AnswerID: 99887

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:31

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:31
Yes, Paul the tap turned up and I have fixed it and doesn't leak a drop.

Thanks for sending it back.

I pick up the diesel Terracan at 8.30 in the morning.

Reports later.

The Bigfella
FollowupID: 358241

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:03

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:03
Congratulions on the new wheels!

To be honest the worst thing about a Hyundai these days, is some of the names they use! But others are in the same boat, like Kluger.

My brother is considering a Terracan for exactly the same reasons as you.
AnswerID: 99902

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:03
I reckon the Terracan Diesel has a market that has not been very well tapped. I was looking for a well priced 4 door diesel wagon for years and there was nothing really around. That's why I bought the Rocky, but then ended up having to sell it because it only had 2 doors.

Good luck with it, I reckon it'll be a little ripper!
AnswerID: 99914

Reply By: desertrat - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:07

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:07
I have heard good things about the Terracan also. Like some one said, what an unfortunate name though ;) Almost as bad a Kluger ;) Im thinking of getting one myself so would be interested in hearing your report on the vehicle after you've had t for a while.
Cheers
AnswerID: 99960

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:35

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:35
Yeh, I guess names are a problem. It wouldn't matter what they called it someone wouldn't be happy.

I pick up the diesel in the morning. A report after a few weeks of driving. I am off to Huskinson (spelling) down the South Coast for Easter towing my camper trailer. Look for a satin green Terracan with "Country Brewer" all over it and I will shout a cold homebrew.

Have a good one all and catch ya later.

The Bigfella
FollowupID: 358246

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:03

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:03
Hi Brian,

Mobile home brew - very cool.

Similar to a guy who catered our work XMAS party last year - mobile wood fired pizza. Guy rolls up in a Patrol towing a tandem trailer with chimea on top. Opens the doors and there's already a small fire smouldering away. Add air and it's fired up in no time - we were eating fresh pizza in ~ 10min. Nice pizza too!

Now the ultimate holiday would be the one camped between both of you!

Happy travelling in the Terracan over Easter.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 100036

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:29

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:29
If you were happy with the previous model, then theCommon Rail engine should make you even happier.

We had a ML270 before retiring and the CDI really blows power particularly if towing.

Only suggestion I would consider once it is broken in, is to use a fully synthetic oil. The extra cost is worth the better protection for the engine.

ENJOY

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 100072

Sponsored Links