Snorkels on 120 Prado's

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:55
ThreadID: 20732 Views:7090 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
A question for all you 120 owners ... I'm concidering having a snorkel fitted on my 120 and would like to know if there is a noticable induction noise from these, if traveling with the window down. I mainly want it on for towing my van in dusty conditions although I'm aware there's a water drowning issue on the 120 as well. An info on this would be kindly received.
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike S (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:29

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:29
Hi Bazza

Have a Safari Snorkel on 120 Diesel - no noticable increase in noise.
Noticable reduction in dust collecting in the air cleaner - now collect a lot of insects in the air filter trap.

No noticable increase in performance or fuel economy.

Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99908

Follow Up By: Bazza - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:25

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 13:25
G'day Mike,
Thanks for the info. As I mainly travel with the window down when on tar, it would have been a pain if they had been noisy. Less dust or water in the filter has got to be a good thing.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 358157

Reply By: Member- Marc - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 14:54

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 14:54
Bazza,
I have fitted a safari snokel to my 120 petrol, no adverse affects to mention.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Marc.
AnswerID: 99928

Reply By: Charcoal RS - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:04

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:04
Hey Guys,
I also have a safari snorkel. Not sure if related to the snorkel but I am getting some wind whistling at highway speeds

Rgds
AnswerID: 99929

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 17:43

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 17:43
Bazza,
The drowning issue was a result of the early Toyota Soveriegn bull bars being fitted by dealers in such a way that the air intake behind the innere guard was likely to take in water.... as inner guard leading edge was no longer fully sealed to the bumper.
The induction noise with the window down is a nice mild sound under acceleration,not at all intrusive.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 99953

Follow Up By: jondg - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:17

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 00:17
joe, what do you mean early bull bars? Have they changed more recent design?
jon
FollowupID: 358257

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:59

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:59
Hi Jon,
It's still the same bull bar, but HOPEFULLY the fitting procedure/technique is now upgraded, not to expose the air intake to being feed water by the inner guard.
If you fitted a snorkel you had no problem. I read 2 documented instances when the car was first released that wrecked the engine.I had one out of the first shipment and fitted a snorkel and the Soveriegn bar. My inner gaurd is an example the way it was done, but as I have a snorkel I have not bothered to get Toyota to fix it.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 358282

Follow Up By: jondg - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:47

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:47
thanks for the info joe.
i bought a v6 prado in october 04.(no snorkel).
the soverign bar was fitted by the toyota dealer.
is there any way of telling if they have fitted it in the upgraded manner?
or would you take it back to them? i would guess if they have supplied me with a faulty product, i am entitled to a repair.
cheers.
jon
FollowupID: 358301

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:15

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:15
G'day again Jon,
To help you check your's out I'll describe it...
The problem was once the bull bar was fitted, the leading edge of the right inner guard had an opening, between it and where the original bumper was. The inner guard curves... concave, down toward the front. The gap then acts as a scoop...picking up water and feeding to the air intake.

By all means you should discuss and check it with Toyota dealer to see if he knows about the issue. Those early examples of engine failer occurred in very shallow river crossings. I think the plastic inner guard is very ordinary and if you plan to drive through large puddles and river crossings I think the snorkel is a must.
I'm on the Lcool 120 yahoo group site and I and a couple of others picked up on the problem very early on.
Look at a new unit at the showroom,compare, and then have your discussion with the dealer.
Regards
Joe

FollowupID: 358305

Follow Up By: DrewT - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:48

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:48
a few months ago after hearing about the water ingestion issue i took my prado back to the dealer and asked them to fix it. well they completely replaced the inner plastic guard and this time didn't trim it as 'high' as before ... however there is still a whopping big gap between the end of the plastic guard abd the bullbar. i am not aware of any other fix yet for this problem (other than a snorkel). hence is anyone aware of a fix/modiifcation for this problem yet???
FollowupID: 358317

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 13:02

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 13:02
My 1kz-te surf and safari snorkey does make noise that wasn't present before the snorkel, however it's very a very subtle quite cool sounding little burble under load at about 1500-2000rpm. I actually quite enjoy it along with the Lukey exaust noise at about the same rpms. It's not present at highway speed as wind noise and higher revs completley block it out.

But when your crawling over rough terrain and the motor is burbling at you it's kinda cool! LOL

I did howerever notice a slight increase in fuel consumption, possibly more to do with the fact that the air pathway is much more "free flowing" from the safari then from stock, and also having the bigger exaust allowed full advatage of having more air on tap.
AnswerID: 100115

Sponsored Links