Bungle Bungle Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2074 Views:1961 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

We have a 4.5 tonne Ford F250 4WD Camper and was wondering what sort of condition the Bungle Bungle Road is in and whether it was safe for our type of vehicle to travel that road.

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
Cheryl, the track in is full of hill climbs, dips and creek crossings which early in the dry season will be quite deep (but not more than say, 40cm) to dry by the end of the dry season before the wet season closes the track. The track itself is very twisty and those towing find it a little slow going and challenging in places. It is a 4WD trip most definately because of the river crossings and the sometimes stony, sometimes sandy, sometimes muddy bases of these crossings and the steep climbs out of the creeks. However, the actual track leading to the crossing is graded, dry and stony and 4WD is not required. I actually can't visualise your vehicle type, but know the F100, so guess its a bigger version? Provided you have 4WD and it is high clearance, ie. won't let water in the doors if you drive through a puddle then you will be fine. The road will be closed if it is impassable to the tourist traffic.
AnswerID: 7091

Follow Up By: Cheryl - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Michell,

Our F250 has had the weld body removed and a full sized camper built in its place. The river crossings and the steep climbs out of the creeks sound like it will be too risky as the Camper is very heavy. If it got stuck I doubt there would be any vehicle that coulod lend a hand.

Probably best not to take the risk!
FollowupID: 3216

Follow Up By: Coops - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
Cheryl
I doubt that you will get stuck as all but two of the crossings from memory are little more than creek crossings and your camper is attached and not towed. Having said that, anything can happen in the Kimberley and usually does. The previous wet seasons rain will dictate most of your ability to handle these crossings. However as Michelle stated , the roads will be closed if they are impassable.
I went to Purnululu earlier this year and barely got wet as it was a particularly 'dry' wet season prior. The trip in is rough but soooooo much better than just flying around in a chopper (do that too if you can).
FollowupID: 3223

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Cheryl, take your time travelling into the BB's and you should find it safe enough to do in a F250, because if you choose not to go and miss one of Australias' best kept secrets you'll always kick yourself - this is one magnificant place - enjoy Regards Tim
AnswerID: 7106

Reply By: geoff- Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Cheryl,
just returned from the Kimberlies and a trip into the bungle bungles three weeks ago, you will have no problem getting your truck in and out and once you have a look around you will wonder why you ever considered missing it...... If you have any problems and get stuck there should be plenty of people who can help out, (we had to pull an OKA Tourist bus back from the predicament it's driver had managed to find himself in.....) In short, take it easy, enjoy the drive the rewards at the end are worth it.
Cheers
AnswerID: 7109

Reply By: lizard - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

We went into Bungles this July with GU Petrol Patrol towing Cavalier off road camper .... no problems at all - so I think your 250 will be okay . PS the chopper flight is worth it .
AnswerID: 7111

Reply By: Simon - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Mate of mine went in their recently in a HR holden car. No problems.

Ranger git really cranky with him for taking a car in (and I can understand why) but he knew what he was doing and had no problems.

The same guy remembers 30 years ago when people took cars into Jim Jim and Twin falls.

I went into Bungles last year. the tip is to take it easy.
AnswerID: 7127

Reply By: Cheryl - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies!!!
AnswerID: 7141

Sponsored Links