80 Series Fuel Consumption

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 18:22
ThreadID: 20747 Views:23296 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a late 1995 Lancruiser GXL Wagon and have 2 to choose from. One is a 4.5 litre petrol on LPG and the other a 1HZ Diesel. (not turbo)

I have good figures on the fuel consumtion for the LPG but I have no figures on the Diesel version.
Can those of you with the 1HZ Diesel engine please give me some idea on your average fuel consuption figures and if you can, provide the litres used and the distance travelled.
Thanks Guys and Have a Great Day!!!

Brett

75 Series T/D Ute
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:22

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:22
Hi Brett,

I have only owned an 80s in petrol, and it was thirsty!!

When considering these two variants, you may need to consider the following:

1) Diesel is around 10c a litre (Sydney) more expensive than ULP thus cutting any cost saving well in half.

2) The truck you are looking at isn't turbocharged, so when going up long steep hills or when towing anything heavy the rego on the truck will run out before you get there. They are no fast mover

3) LPG is 1/2 cost of ULP for how much longer though is another thing

4) If the diesel truck has done tonnes of km, consider the cost of repairing diesel engines and their components is very very expensive compared to an ULP motor.

5) Depending upon what type of driving you are going to be doing, LPG and ULP may not be readily available in remote areas, and unless the ULP/LPG vehicle runs on both your endurance may be limited, so the diesel economy may be better suited.

6) Check the datestamp on the LPG vehicle, as tanks have to be inspected @ 10 year intervals and this is an additional cost to yearly rego check unless you are in a state not requiring the annual inspection for rego. (1995 model = tank could be 10yo this year)

Cheers,
Wayne
AnswerID: 99964

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:47

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:47
g'day woody,

Petrol is thirsty, mine's about 20L/100kms at 110km/hr. I agree with the above post on the 1hz - definitely go a diesel + turbo.

With a long range tank I've never had 'range' problems. 250L on a good day will get me 1300kms.

I think in a diesel you'll get more like 1800 kms for the same amount of fuel.

Areas with no petrol aren't a worry if you have a long range tank, LPG is a problem though.

Example; Canning Stock Route you have to arrange for a diesel or petrol dump regardless so availability for petrol is not an issue.

I'm very happy with the 4.5L grunt though and I think it performs better on steep sandy type slopes.

Mine's very high mileage now but even with the price of diesel I will be transplanting one of those 1hdt turbos out of the 100 series cruisers. Apparently their pretty good for a tojo motor.

hope it helps

AnswerID: 99966

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:24

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:24
Not sure how relevant this will be ... but on my trip last year to the Flinders from the NSW Central Coast, I returned an average 15.6l/100km, or around 18 mpg for the entire trip. This was in a 1991 non-turbo diesel, hauling a fairly heavily laden 7 x 4 trailer, and included some off-road around Wilpena Pound/Arkaroola/Maree, plus highway driving.

The point made about the hills is pretty true - mine slows down on suspicion of hills, but it does not bother me that much because I know it will eventually get over the top. It can almost climb up walls. Distance travelled was just over 5000km. I am OK wth the hill thing because on a trip, once I get past/over the Dividing Range it is flat, and I can happily cruise at 100kph all day.

On an earlier trip to Corner Country I did notice that when I put about $60 into my vehicle my mate is a similar vintage petrol was coughing up $90 for the same distance travelled. I grew to love my diesel at that time. I did not keep figures for that trip.

Hope this helps in your deliberations.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 99984

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:31

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:31
about 13l perhundred highway and 17 - 18l perhundred track and beach driving I have a n/a diesal and reckon it goes ok but then I have driven almost nothing else for 8 years. A petrol and gas would only be ok for tame work if you are contemplating any decent trips get the diesal coz they dont sell gas and probably even petrol "out there"
AnswerID: 99987

Reply By: Ray Bates - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:51

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:51
I have an 80 series petrol/gas vehicle and my mate has the same model in diesel and over a long run the running costs of both vehicles was the same but I had the advantage of the extra power.
I have been all round Australia and have only occasionally not been able to get LPG
although I have not been through Warburton or the Gun Barrel
AnswerID: 99995

Reply By: Chucky - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:55

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:55
I have a 94 diesel DX with aftermarket turbo and intercooler. I also have a long range tank and take 250l fuel onboard.
On a recent trip from Brisbane to Melbourne I got 1850 from one load of fuel. On this trip the 4wd was fully loaded with a C/T weighing just over a ton. Travelled down the coast rd to Sydney then went to Katoomba, Oberone, down to Cooma, bombala and to lake entrance, then down to Melbourne. I did spend a bit of time driving along Stockton beach as well, the soft sand really gave the cruiser a work for it money while pulling the C/T.
On the trip down I managed avoid fueling up in NSW. On the trip back came up the Kidman way to Cobar, across to Dubbo then up to Brissy, got from Melbourne to Goodawindi on a full fuel load.
If you are going to do any touring, note that alot of native title reserves, (how's that for P.C?) will only give permits to diesel 4wd's.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 99996

Reply By: Kimberly Kruiser - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:32

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:32
Brett

Delved into my trip record for my 1HZ diesel troopy with pop top in tow and a heap of gear for an extended trip.
My overall average for 20,000 km was 15.87 litres per 100 km. That includes towing, vehicle only travel, highway, bush and 4wd work. That was using the right boot as much as I needed to.
Another entry for a quick trip, vehicle only, Kununurra to Darwin and return pulled figures of 16.2 litres per 100 km with plently of right boot. (No speed limits in the territory).
Have just got into a 80 series diesel (non Turbo) and it seems to suck juice at comparable rates.
The 1HZ is a bit of a slug when towing on the long climbes, the 80 more noticable than the old troopy in my opinion but its not that bad. Theres always the turbo option.
Diesel is the obvious choice up these neck of the woods basically for parts, service and fuel availability.
AnswerID: 100006

Reply By: sang - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:37

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:37
Hi,
I have a 96 Lancrusier Troopy 1HZ 4.2 non turbo diesel. Camper converted, so is heavily laden including the kitchen sink. weigh approx. 3000 kg. On highway, 11 litres per hundred K cruising at 100-110 kph. City 14-15 l p 100K. I also tow a 2.5 tonne caravan sometimes, 20 litre per hundred Ks when towing.
Hills are always a problem, but you get used to it and most of Oz is flat.
Hope this help
Sanga
AnswerID: 100008

Reply By: NissanNut - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:41

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 22:41
Get a 1HZ with turbo kit, youll never look back.

I have just bought a 1990 80series 1HZ with turbo kit, 315000kms well looked after for $15k. It goes great, great on hills, easily as much power as a petrol, probably more than one on gas, and heaps of tourque.

I just got 13L/100KM out of first trip, taking things easy on hwy and some (grandpa mode) town driving.

Then 14.7L/100KM out of last trip with loaded roofrack and trying to sit on around 115 to 120km/h most of the way with some hard city driving in there as well (I wasn't taking it easy this time).

Extra cost of diesel makes hardly any difference to a tank fill, especially if you use discount vourchers, ends up only $5 to $10 more per fill. Gas might be half the price but you burn twice as much too.

Good Luck
NUTS!
AnswerID: 100009

Reply By: Nudenut - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:26

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:26
If i had my way again I'd go diesel turbo of course

Someone mentioned above that diesel motors are expensive to repair...this is true i believe...but I also believe they have a longer life...up to twice or more longer than petrol?
AnswerID: 100086

Reply By: Member - Karl - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:55

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:55
Big Woody,

I have a 91 GXL 80 Series 4.2L diesel with an aftermarket turbo fitted.

I get on average 14.5L/100km around town and on highway with just me and the family.

When it's under load - trailer full of camping gear etc it goes up to about 16L/100km.

Going from the normally asperated diesel to fitting the turbo the was little to no difference in fuel economy in general driving; however, under load went from about 18L/100km to 16L/100km.

The turbo was the best thing ever, similar power to petrol with the economy of diesel.

If you go the diesel do a full oil change on everything - motor, gear box etc, so you start fresh and then get in a regular servicing schedual and the motor should last a long time.
AnswerID: 100095

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 14:30

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 14:30
G'day Brett
Now have a petrol 80 but owned a non turbo diesel 80 (91 model) previously. It consistently got 21 mpg when touring if it wasn't pushed too hard. Bit worse around town. But it was so bloody slow around town that when the time came to replace it I went with petrol. Being only vehicle I just couldn't go to another slug. If you only want it for touring, 4WDing etc then non turbo diesel is fine. You can live with it out of the city.
AnswerID: 100125

Sponsored Links