This little Wolf needs help...

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:50
ThreadID: 20782 Views:2517 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
... in trying to work out, if I can do the following things.......

I have the following toys.........

Magellan GPS ( explorist ).
3 x LED Torches
iPod ( Belkin ) extra Battery Pack
Canon TTL Flash
Uniden 2 watt handheld UHF radio

These toys either use AAA or AA batteries.

In all of the literature that accompanies these toys, it ALL says..."Insert Alkaline Batteries."
There is never any mention of NiCads, or Metal Hydrides.

What's the go?

I have LOTS of AAA & AA Metal Hydride Batteries, plus the facility to charge them in the car enroute.

Am I going to damage anything by using my NiMH batteries in the above toys?

Did you hear about the Energiser Bunny???
Someone inserted his batteries in upside down, and instead of going & going, he kept coming & coming.........

Wolfie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:03

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:03
"Did you hear about the Energiser Bunny???
Someone inserted his batteries in upside down, and instead of going & going, he kept coming & coming......... "

you do need help!
lol lol
AnswerID: 100153

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:07

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:07
You will not harm anything. You may find the product use time between charges is less than with alkalines.

Bunnies are like that - at least… a few of the one I know are :) Although they are "hers" not "hims" I hasten to add :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 100155

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:03

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:03
I find my NiMh batteries (2100 mAh) last longer in my digital camera than alkalines by a long way.
FollowupID: 358361

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:08

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:08
Wolfie, NiMh should be fine, the assertion re insertion is related to the constatnt supply of current at a higher than normal battery level, Alkaline batteries hold up their voltage and then the volts "collapse" when they're dead, so do NiMh, and I *think* NiCad's also, but not so sure about them.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100157

Reply By: Groove - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:22

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:22
I have been using MiMH in all my devices forabout 5 years now, LED torches, GPS, Gameboy, Digital Camera etc. I have a charger that I got from JAYCAY electronics that come with a 12 volt plug pack, I made up a lead and run it from the the car.

It charges 8 AA cells at once and all is well.
Cheers
AnswerID: 100165

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:46
Alkaline batteries are rated at 1.5v and this drops with use until their dead.

NiMh etc are usually rated at 1.2v and hold that voltage right upto the time they die and need recharging.

If your gunna use NiMh get those rate 2000milliamps or higher, they'll last longer.

Have fun with all ya toys.

Russell
AnswerID: 100169

Follow Up By: firestang - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:47

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:47
Ive been racing remote control cars for a while now in competition and all you really use is nimh ,it has no memory when recharged . Nicad has so it lessens battery life each time if they are not fully discharged.
FollowupID: 358376

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 21:13

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 21:13
Don't forget to check the instruction book.

If it says do not use rechargeables, then don't.

2 x 1.2 volts is one heck of a lot less that 2 x 1.5 volts, and some devices will not like it.

Ken
AnswerID: 100185

Reply By: Member - Jim - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:17

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:17
Wolfie,

I have been using NiCads and NMH batteries for years in my Canon gear. They are in constant use in the practice and certain ones last better than others. The best brand is VARTA who have now brought out a 15 min rapid charger for their NMH. It then switches off and gives a small trickle charge when the batteries need it. It has its own cooling fan etc to stop the batteries getting hot.

I have a power inverter in the car so I can plug it into 240 volts etc. Nicads and NMH give rapid discharge, which means your flash will recycle faster. when they run out of charge they go off really quick. A set of 4 Nicads will do almost 36 standard shots in the 550 EX. 8 Nicads run the EOS 1 flat out for 20 or so films then they drop off suddenly, whereas 8 alkalines go forever in the EOS 1 but it starts to slow down after a while. Similarly with the flash the recycle time just gets longer and longer with alkalines.

When charging these things it is best to have a smart charger that cuts out the main charging when the batteries have had enough and then goes into trickle mode. Research has shown that overcharging the rechargeable batteries shortens their life.

Hope this is useful.

Jim
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100257

Sponsored Links