Suspension Lift for Prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2079 Views:6451 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently considering a 4 inch suspension lift for my 2000 Prado TX. This is the same lift as performed on the Prado in 4wd Monthly (Michael Ellem). I am interseted if any other owners have performed this lift and their thoughts or advice on it. I am also interested if any one has extended diff and gearbox breathers and how they did it etc. Thank You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troy - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
Sambo, not sure where u live, but Duncan at Macquarie 4x4 in Sydney specializes in these type of lifts. 4 inches can get complex on a Prado given the IFS. Its been done before though.

Give duncan a call, or check out his website (www.macquarie4x4.com) for more details....

AnswerID: 7108

Reply By: Cashy - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Sambo,

A 4 inch suspension lift will limit the wheel travel of the front end due to the IFS. But it can be done, but will effect how it handles on road, especially if you disconnect the sway bars. I have a 2 inch lift and have had no problems, but when you go above this it can put undue strain on parts and they tend to break. As regards the diff breather the front is easy ass it is already sligthly raised so only needs a longer hose. THe back sits on the diff so needs to be extended, but allow for the wheel travel. The gearbox is harder as the breathers are on top of the gearbox and there is very little room to work on them. There is 2 breathers on the gearbox, one for the gearbox and one for the transfer case. At least there is on the petrol models.

Cashy
AnswerID: 7110

Follow Up By: Sambo - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Cashy if I could ask what type of hose and clamps did you use to extend your breathers and approximately how many metres did you require to do this. As I have never done this before would rather seek some advice instead of doing it twice. Cheers Tony
My email addy is tony280576@hotmail.com if you would rather reply directly to me. Cheers

FollowupID: 3250

Follow Up By: Cashy - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
Sambo,

I am not sure how much hose is needed. But if you are using the Piranha kit I would assume there is sufficient hose included. I had mine done by Traction4 in Sydney.

Cashy
FollowupID: 3259

Reply By: bambi - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

G'day,

I've seen some pictures of a Prado with 4" of suspension lift. It can be done, however, the boots on the CV's rub badly, and don't tend to last as long as usual. You could find that you will be shortening the life of some of the components. Another way you can gain lift is by say 2" suspension lift and 2" of body lift using blocks. Add slightly larger tyres and you can gain another inch.

The front diff breather on my Toyota comes out underneath the air cleaner assembly. It has a fitting the same as the one on the rear diff. Piranha make a kit that you can use to entend the diff breathers.

As for the transfer case....haven't found that one as yet, still looking.

Cheers,

Troy.
AnswerID: 7115

Follow Up By: Cashy - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Troy,

The 2 breathers on the transfer case and gearbox are near where the gear sticks enter the box at the top. They are hard to see and find. But when you find them they are quite noticeable. If you have a little mirror and torch it makes it easier to find.

Regards

Cashy
FollowupID: 3237

Follow Up By: Bambi - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Cashy,

thanks very much for that tip, I'll go out and have a look for them. From what I've seen here, there looks like there's not much room to work with up there, so we'll see how I go.

Cheers,

Troy.
FollowupID: 3240

Follow Up By: Sambo - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the advice on the breathers I will be extending them this week. Also I am curious as to whether your Prado had breather extensions on your rear diff as mine did not. It has a breather extension on the front diff that leads in to the emgine bay but no extension on rear from factory, which leads me to ask if one why not the other. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 3249

Reply By: bambi - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Sambo,

no extension on the rear diff, and to be honest I'm not really sure as to the reason. The breather cap that is on there is a very cheap piece of junk. Perhaps Toyota think that once you get the front wheels wet, perhaps you will change you mind and not go all the way in. Who knows?

Anyways, Pirhana make a good kit, have fitted it to mine. The onlt trouble I had was extending the front diff breather, the hose which is on there is next to impossible to reach the union fitting to replace the whole lot. So I went to Truckline and got a couple of different sized hose joiner barbs, and this did the trick.

The rear fitting is a Prrado union fitting Part number 90404-51319.

Cheers,

Troy.
AnswerID: 7132

Sponsored Links