Steam enginge spit?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:11
ThreadID: 20791 Views:3368 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
A few years back a friend and I made up one of those spits that run off a small 12V electric motor such as a windscreen wiper motor.

We had the Idea of using the campfire as the ONLY source of energy to cook with. This meant eliminating the vehicle battery. AND the spit.

Oneof us, probably me (I'm as nutty as Lone Wolf) came up with the idea of turning the spit with a STEAM engine. (No not a bloody locomotive either). A little steam engine we can carry and fill up with water and boil hence producing energy from the fire.

We made up a demo and kind of fell apart (Us, as friends, not the engine) I never did see it work.

Anybody interested in getting together to desighn one or can anyone point me in the right direction?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:42

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:42
Whilst sitting there watching the the meat roasting away you could have a game of Poker.

The players at the table could be iMusty, Wolfie, Harding, Martini and McMurphy. Probably the Chief as well.

Then all of a sudden you would hear the dulcit tones of Nurse Ratchett declaring,

"Medication Time".

Good Luck with your projects,

Jim.
AnswerID: 100228

Follow Up By: Rod E B - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:07

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:07
Love it

It is not possible sometimes to have power when you travel or for that matter close to you spit

I run a small spit , from BBQ galore , which runs on a couple of d cells

A steam driven spit would be a talking point

The engines you can buy from a hobby maybe a good place to get the basics . I do not have access to a machine shop so it would be a bit hard

Rod
FollowupID: 358429

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:58

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:58
I don't know anything about steam engines Jimbo :) - but how about a solar cell or a Peltier device instead - a lot simpler?

Mike Harding

PS. Hate Poker - but deal me in for Blackjack: basic strategy and a bit of card counting will give me 3% on the house. But my favourite camping game is Backgammon.
FollowupID: 358451

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:09

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:09
I reckon it's a cool idea!!

It would certainly be a good talking point, and it would have this wicked swish swish sound, while your tuckers cooking.

As with all pressure vessels, extreme caution needs to be maintained.

What about using a perpetual motion machine?

"What???" You say..........

Well, it's like this........

If you drop a cat from a small height, he will always land on his feet.
If you drop a piece of buttered toast on the kitchen floor, it will always land butter down.

So..........

Strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat, and attach it all to your spit. The cat / toast combo will like just hover in mid air, about 33 mm. above ground level, and power your spit!

Wolfie
AnswerID: 100276

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:36

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 18:36
You need to watch myth busters Wolfie, the toast will only do half a revolution from bench height so at 33mm there isn't sufficient elevation for the toast to go around again... Now 2 cats would be a good place to start...
FollowupID: 358449

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 19:58

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 19:58
I just LOVE the Mythbusters!!!

Adam & Jamie are my heros!

What a cool job, blowing shlt up everyday. They have also got one large mother of a fan club on the net as well.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 358460

Follow Up By: iMusty - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:24

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:24
Toast!!

Surely you jest.

How the heck could you turn bread into toast in the middle of nowhere with your only cooking energy being fire?

You are a romantic.

FollowupID: 358470

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:25
So just how does one go about getting a job like that??? Perhaps a couple of us could band together and form "Aussie Myth Busters" We could show the world how to use dynamite to extracate your vehicle from a muddy bog... Of course my vehicle would be used to carry supplies, so... any volunteers?
FollowupID: 358471

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:56

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:56
By the way Wolfie, Kari is my hero...
FollowupID: 358481

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:19

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:19
Mythbusters is actually aussie produced, by beyond productions, how bout that !!

I reckon its the best show on at the moment, followed by the new inventors.
FollowupID: 358630

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:48

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:48
iMusty,

How many do you need to feed mate? Why bother with a spit?

I can fit a large leg of Lamb, etc. plus vegetables into my 12.5 Litre Hillbilly Camp Oven. Does everything from Roasts and casseroles to baking damper and muffins.
It even has a gas ring attachment for days of total fire bans where you can't use coals.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100453

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:01

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:01
Fair question, how many do I need to feed? You remind me now of why I go.

When we first went camping as adults I was perplexed at some of the crapola people ate when they camped. We vowed never to eat beans from a can, unless we WANTED to.

Cooking is a great pleasure for me. One Easter I cooked for dinner, (without a lie) pancakes with strawberries, ice-cream & Canadian ‘Camp’ maple syrup.

We don’t cook damper. We make fresh bread rolls. I mean we actually kneed those little buggers and let them rise. LOL

My favorite dish is paprika and white wine chicken. Cooked in a camp oven and is to die for. It puts most restaurant meals to shame.

When we camp near other people who have dogs, my friend who is a Theoretical Physicist and an avid dog lover takes great delight in feeding the dogs the left over roast lamb and mint sauce to them in front of their owners.

I’ve heated apple pie in the camp oven. And sticky date pudding. I have eaten chicken schnitzel (with mash potato, peas, pumpkin and gravy) in the Alpine region.

Camp cooking is a bit like an Aussie BBQ the blokes do the cooking, the birds get the beer. I love this part of tradition. I really do. Respectfully.

I love women and life and being on the road. Being Free!

I LOVE our Beautiful Country Australia

I really do...

Question.
Why do I want a spit?

Answer
Cause I just want one.
FollowupID: 358611

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:53

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:53
>When we first went camping as adults I was perplexed at some
>of the crapola people ate when they camped.

A man after my own heart :)

>My favorite dish is paprika and white wine chicken. Cooked in a
>camp oven and is to die for. It puts most restaurant meals to shame.

May I have the recipe for that, please -

>I love women and life and being on the road. Being Free!
>I LOVE our Beautiful Country Australia

You said it for me, iMusty.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 358626

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:23

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:23
I like this idea, it has merit. With a little bit of lateral thinking it could turn into a true campers best friend!
If the boiler was designed right, think of the uses.
-Steam powered spit
-Hot water for a shower
-Collect the condensate out of the steam engine, instant boiled drinking water
-Imagine the friends you'd make with your very own coffee centre, Cappucino in the midlle of no where.

Endless uses and possibilities.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 100469

Sponsored Links