Cruiser making weird sound in 4wd

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 19:27
ThreadID: 20804 Views:2605 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Back again with another ask! Been on our trip and everything went well with the water tank up within the canopy frame which was a huge relief! Thanks for all your input there (as well with the fridge - we ended up just hiring a chescold for the trip to try before we buy and quite impressed by it!)

Situation with the cruiser though (75 series) when we put it in 4wd...going through sand -mainly on the soft sand but occasionally on compact sand as well we heard a very bad 'clunk/bang' sound and vibration coming from the passenger side rear tyre. We seem to think it maybe the rear axle or diff but unsure.

Also (when not in 4wd) , when we go to use full steering lock on road and also when it is heavy load on back going around corners or round abouts we hear the 'clunk/bang' sound in the front suspension, and I can also feel a bad vibration in the steering wheel .

Does any one have any ideas why it is making this sound because we really want to go 4wdriving in future (which we couldn't this time around because of the problem.....in actual fact, the 'clunk/bang' sound felt and sounded similar like we had a flat tyre. (we had the tyres on 20psi)

My boyfriend loves his cruiser (i do too) so we really would love it if you had any suggestions about this before we take it in shop

Thanks guys!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 19:35

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 19:35
This has been discussed on the Troopy owners group site.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/troopyoz/

The problem seems to be (If yours is the same problem that is) with the leaf springs have you had a good look to ensure that all is as it should be with things like U bolts etc.
Was also said to be a possible problem with binding between the leafs themselves or the bushes.
Quite a few of the guys from that site watch this one also so you may get a better answer than what I have offered.
But maybe join and post it on the Troopy Owners Group also.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100283

Reply By: desert - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 20:55

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 20:55
My first inclination would be worn spring shackle bushes, allowing the spring to "walk" sideways when cornering. Not a major problem.
Secondly, perhaps loose or broken "U" bolt.
Thirdly, broken spring centre bolt, again not major but get it looked at.
AnswerID: 100288

Reply By: ozi explorer - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:41

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:41
Yeah, have a 75 series as well with the clunk and bang in the front........ years ago when I was worried about it was told that maybe new leafs in the front would fix it, but also maybe not! - So on that didnt rush on spending money, although recently have replaced the whole suspension with OME, but soon after still suffer from the clunk and bang, but usually when its wetter.

The vibration could easily be from a lost wheel balance, which can be thrown if tires are let down along with some serious 4B action.

milo...
AnswerID: 100315

Reply By: peterK - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:59

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:59
Sorry, cant resist it. Its fairly common with Toyotas, they arent designed to go in 4WD or offroad (lol)

But seriously like they said above
AnswerID: 100317

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:48

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:48
YAIR buy a Nissan
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 358505

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:26

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:26
not sure how much i can add but check all springs and wheel nuts, also jack wheels front wheel s off ground one at a time and check for worn steering components, Clunk in front on full lock can be from springs flexing but what you describe sounds quite bad. try isolating 4wd problems by having the hubs in then out which will give you a better idea. Just a thought Has the steering lock nuts been adjusted ? check the tyre is not rubbing on the spring on full lock, that would create havoc and vibrations banging and clunking - yea look at that 1st
AnswerID: 100367

Sponsored Links