NAVMAN PIN GPS device

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:30
ThreadID: 20820 Views:1842 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've looked and read and I still went and bought one $884 plus free external antenna from DSE. With latest V3 software and maps (DEC 2004)

I'm impressed so far.

A street level map for all of OZ. Auto routing (pronounced rooting because Carpenters use routers).

Auto re-routing when you go of track. BLOODY clever little thing.

Any one else got one.

Rgards
Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:12

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:12
Just spent ages getting one to work with SeeYou (soaring software). If you install OziExplorer on it, you will need to stop SmartSt from "grabbing" the GPS port.

I just deleted SmartST but you can actually force it to let go of the port. I have instructions here somwhere if you ever need that info.
AnswerID: 100364

Follow Up By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 17:10

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 17:10
I'm still trying to work out why one would put oziexplorer onto the navman? I have it on a Laptop and used it inconjunction with an ETrex.

I would have thought some other more robust GPS would have been more suitable for AirNavigation!!!

Any how I'm still impressed with the Navman.

I trying to work out how to sync files on the storage card, any clues?

Regards
Russell
FollowupID: 358547

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 20:46

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 20:46
David, With gpsgate you can create as many virtual com ports as you like which will allow you to simultaneously run multiple moving map programs or any program that requires gps input. I use it on my laptop running 2 copies of oziexplorer and discoveraus very successfully. There is a pda version available and research on this site shows it is compatible with navman pin. You can download a 14 day free trial if you wish to test it out.

http://franson.com/gpsgate/index.asp?
FollowupID: 358564

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 03:49

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 03:49
Ray,
Thanks but I don;t like to pay if there is a cheap fix :-)

Russell,

I have oziexplore CE on an iPaq and it is THE way to go. A laptop is just too cumbersome for my setup.

RE running gliding software, the program is not just navigation is is a complex program that give you lots of data about what points on the map you can safely reach given current wind direction and atmospheric conditions and glider performance. It gives you speed to fly information based on the performance curve (polar) of the particular sailplane you are flying and much much more. It is designed to run on iPaq style devices and the Navman PIN is entirely suitable being lightweight ans small enough for tiny cockpits of gliders.

The GPS just needs to get an accurate fix it doesn't need to be robust.
AnswerID: 100439

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 08:22

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 08:22
Hey Russell we have the Navman PiN great little unit we also run Oziexplorer like David and we run the SmartSt for the city and outer metro, it's a bit fiddly setting up Ozi but well worth it.

Baz.

Ps David we would be interested in the software you are using with Ozi.
AnswerID: 100445

Sponsored Links