DeGrey Mullewa stockroute

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2083 Views:1767 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anybody has travelled this stockroute lately and how you found it. We're thinking of heading out that way in a couple of weeks, but can't find much info on it. Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Mel, Do you mean the entire stock route (Mullewa to De Grey River) or just the "Heritage Trail" section ( Mullewa to Tallering Peak)?
Regards
Greg
AnswerID: 7143

Follow Up By: Mel - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Greg, I'm interested in the entire stock route. We'll definately be doing the Heritage section but would like to do the rest, depending on conditions, time contrainsts etc. Melissa
FollowupID: 3258

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Mel, maps I have suggest that to gain access to the general path of the stock route would require contacting numerous pastoral lease owners - its not like the Canning (in mores ways than one).
Regards
Greg
AnswerID: 7167

Follow Up By: Mel - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Greg. Sounds like we will be limited to the Heritage trail portion, only125km return. Be interesting to find out if the whole stock route could be traversed with the right permissions etc. Mel.
FollowupID: 3270

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Gi'day Mel, The track you are enquiring about is the Carnarvon-Mullewa Stock Route going from Carnarvon via Gascoyne Junction,Dairy Creek,Glenburgh, Byro, Murchinson Roadhouse, down to Mullewa, I think, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow I have done this track a couple of times, the last 12 months ago. It is a fairly easy track for any 4wd provided they haven't had too much rain. Last time there was a detour of about 20km's around a swamp area just south of Murchinson Roadhouse. Take it easy at creek and floodway crossings, particularly after rains, most have adequate signage before hazard. You will enjoy the trip if you take your time. Plenty of camping sites off the road, particularly along the various rivers and creeks you cross, ask at Murchinson R/H, very helpful in giving good locations for camping. Have a good trip and enjoy the scenery. Good Travelling, Peter.
AnswerID: 7169

Follow Up By: Mel - Saturday, Oct 05, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 05, 2002 at 00:00
Peter, the Mullewa DeGrey stockroute was one of many established in WA in the late 1890's. It runs from the DeGrey River in the north to Mullewa. From reply above, it looks like it's not possible to traverse any part of it except the Heritage Trail. However, you suggested route sounds interesting. What kind of time frame would you allow? Mel.
FollowupID: 3271

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Oct 07, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 07, 2002 at 00:00
Gi'day Mel, How long is a piece of string? It depends on how long you have & what your interests are. We were towing caravans so we're just lopping along, stopping here & stopping there, where ever it seem a good setup. You should take at least 3-4 days to be able to experience the scenery, but it could be done in 2 days if time is tight. Suggest you speak you Murchinson R/H owner, has wealth of knowledge of area.Kennedy Range should also be a good stop over. Haven't been there yet, but it is on the list. Good Travelling, Peter.
FollowupID: 3297

Reply By: Coops - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00
Mel
I know the DeGrey station owners (and others) are touchy about people on their pastoral lease. This is primarily due to past travellers abusing the privilege (I have heard of prize bulls being shot etc). I would advise you to either contact pastoralists along the way or settle for the heritage trail.
AnswerID: 7190

Follow Up By: Mel - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Coops, We're going to settle for the heritage section. Being ex-country people ourselves, we know how the pastoralists feel about people not asking for permission to enter their property. Wonder how the culprits would feel about someone entering their own backyard and shooting their dog! Mel.
FollowupID: 3279

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Mel, Peter was partially correct in his advice on the route of the stock route. If you travel the road from Mullewa to Gascoyne Junction you will, along certain sections, be on the old stock route - not that you would know by just looking as this roud is a pretty major as far as gravel roads go. From Gascoyne Junction you can head north towards Lyons River Stn station and also cover sections of the stock route. The Kennedy Ranges are the major attraction in this area and well worth the trip. North of Minnie Creek is where following the stock route becomes difficult. Having said that I must say I havent researched its location much past Robe/Fortescue River - you may be able to pick up bits and pieces from here - dont know. Hope this helps
Regards
Greg
AnswerID: 7195

Follow Up By: Mel - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Greg, Thanks for this info. Very useful. We have virtually decided to do the heritage section then follow the route Peter suggested. Will see what we can incorporate of the sections you mentioned. Thanks again. Regards, Mel
FollowupID: 3290

Reply By: IT Beyond - David - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
And Mel (and others) if you are interested in compiling your trip research into a format that could be presented on ExplorOz to share with other readers we would love to hear from you. Please communicate directly with michelle on her email address given on our Contact Us page. Sounds great!
AnswerID: 7251

Follow Up By: Mel - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi David, We'd love to share our trip notes with yourselves and other ExploreOz readers but we've had to revise our travel plans. Based on the info Greg and Peter supplied regarding the stock route we've decided we can't do it justice in the timeframe we have. The routes suggested would bring us in close proximity of the Kennedy Range NP and Mt Augustus so we feel it should be saved for another trip. However, we are still going to do the Heritage section and poke around Mullewa a bit which will be a good chance to do a reccy of sorts. Anyway, we're thinking say April 2003 for the extended version and will do what we can to obtain permissions etc to traverse as much of the stock route as possible. In the meantime, we'd love to hear from anyone with any further info. Regards, Melissa
FollowupID: 3330

Sponsored Links