Point to point speedcameras

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 21:58
ThreadID: 20834 Views:2949 Replies:21 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Nowhere to hide

Speeding Victorian motorists will be fined using radical new point-to-point fixed speed cameras by the end of the year under the new offence of exceeding the limit by an average speed, the State Government has revealed.

Police have also confirmed to The Sunday Age that 27 truck drivers were caught speeding on the Hume Highway in December and January using existing point-to-point technology - known as an "electrotecter" - fixed to police cars.

At this stage it is believed there will be four point-to-point gantries on the Hume Highway recording a motorist's average speed.

The equipment will mean that even if a motorist is below the speed limit when they pass the camera, they could receive a fine if they were speeding between cameras.

Legislation enabling police to fine motorists for exceeding the average speed over a set distance was passed in the Victorian Parliament in December 2003.

The Government, which made almost $170 million from speeding fines last year, has confirmed it has signed the contract for the new point-to-point cameras and they are likely to be spread between Craigieburn and Wodonga.

Advertisement
AdvertisementPolice said they were concerned by the results of one operation, where 80 heavy trucks using the Hume Highway between 3am and 5am were recorded travelling at an average speed of between 105 and 118 km/h.

The legal speed limit for trucks on the road is 100 km/h.

Police Minister Tim Holding said that under the new system a motorist would receive only one average speed fine for their entire journey, regardless of whether they exited the highway in Kilmore or Wodonga.

"What we have basically said is that you will be (fined) once for that journey," he said.

Mr Holding has not ruled out the use of the cameras for on-the-spot fines and said that was an issue he would discuss with police. Under such a proposal, a motorist could lose their licence in one trip and face hundreds of dollars in speeding fines.

"Speed cameras are spread around our road network . . . if you went through two or three fixed speed cameras and got pinged on every one, you would get three infringements and that's how it should be," he said.

Concern has already been raised about the introduction of multiple speed cameras on the newly completed Geelong road upgrade, with motorists potentially losing their licence in one trip.

With the new speed cameras on the Geelong road and Hume Highway, and the reintroduction of speed cameras on the Western Ring Road and the West Gate Freeway expected later in the year, the Government is set for a large revenue windfall.

Cameras on the CityLink and Monash Freeway became operational again on December 1.

More than a million speeding tickets were processed last year, boosting state revenue by $167 million.

Last financial year the Government collected $233.5 million for all police fines, and it has forecast collecting up to $350.5 million this financial year.

Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells said the Liberal Party supported speed cameras so long as the focus was on road safety, not revenue raising, and so long as the cameras were accurate.

"There is a set speed limit and we expect people to travel at or below that speed limit so we would support it if the focus is on road safety," he said.

The introduction of point-to-point cameras is part of the Government's Arrive Alive strategy to cut road deaths by 20 per cent over five years.

The road tolls in the past two years have been the lowest on record in Victoria.

"What we are trying to do is to send the message to people that you just can't afford to travel too fast, on short journeys, on local roads or on major highways, it doesn't matter. People speeding, particularly speeding over a sustained period of time where fatigue and other factors become an issue, are a danger to themselves and to other drivers," Mr Holding said.

The director of Monash University's Accident Research Centre, Ian Johnston, said point-to-point cameras would reduce speeding because they would take away excuses for momentary speeding.

"The beauty of point-to-point is if your average speed is above the speed limit, than you are clearly not exceeding it momentarily, you are setting out to exceed it - it is so obviously deliberate and sustained," Professor Johnston said.

The RACV's general manager of public policy, Ken Ogden, said his organisation supported the introduction of point-to-point cameras.

But he said a motorist should receive only one fine for a journey and the cameras should not be used for on-the-spot fines as well.

Mr Ogden said the Government and police should also have a public information campaign around the time the cameras are switched on.

"The point of these is to deter speeding, and with adequate publicity that would occur," he said.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:05

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:05
Be a right bugger if you went through on the night of daylight saving!
AnswerID: 100415

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:25

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:25
LOL only you could think of that!
FollowupID: 358653

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:22

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:22
If you don't speed you won't get caught. Pretty simple solution.

Like the two kids killed this weekend in Macquarie Fields trying to outrun police. ... one witness simply stated "if they'd pulled over they would still be alive".

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100418

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:33

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:33
quite easy to roll over 100 (if its a 100 zone)down a steep hill onto a flat area, then you are nailed..

agree with kids runnin from bacon
FollowupID: 358580

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:46

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:46
I agree ... and I think from this system that it will reduce a lot of that sort of "rolling over" as it takes more of an average speed over a distance. Seems fairer to me than a quick click form a roadside hardryer.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 358594

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:04

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:04
And if they hadn't stolen the car in the first place........................
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 358607

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:22

Mate they already do that. heard of a few on the Hamilton Hwy passed the Police heading the other way, pulled up down the road sometime later, excuse me sir/madam youre average speed over the last 12 km's has been 140km/h. you're nicked!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100419

Reply By: timber - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:22

I drive a 3 l diesel Hilux, it would be a badge of honour if I could get one of these fines!!

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 100420

Reply By: Pezza - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:32

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:32
The heavy vehicle camera network around NSW works on the same system, there is a given time between camera at point A and camera at point B, cross camera B quicker than the given time and the fine will be waiting in your mailbox when you get there.
The information on camera positions is freely available, so after you cross camera A continue to do 140 but make sure you stop for a 20 min cuppa before you continue to do 140 through to camera B.
Yeah this idea will stop speeding.........NOT!!!
AnswerID: 100422

Follow Up By: Ralph2 - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:54

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:54
That would defeat the reason for speeding in the first place, you would get from point A to point B in the same time if you stuck to the speed limit with out the stop.
FollowupID: 358688

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:24

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:24
Not really, we normally stop for "smoko" on our trips, just make sure you plan the smoko stop for in between the cameras...
FollowupID: 359460

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:34

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:34
It still doesn't explain why NT has the lowest per captia deaths with no speed limits on the open highways.

=

Revenue Raising.

In WA over the last few years almost every street has had the speed limit Reduced by 10km/hr. Speed cameras have increased.

=

Revenue Raising.

Result:

Road toll unchanged.
AnswerID: 100424

Follow Up By: SteveL - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:05
When revenue drops,so will the speed limit,roads which have been 80km
zones for 30 years suddenly drop to 70km.
FollowupID: 358694

Reply By: V8Diesel - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:49

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:49
Simple solution to all this government 'big brother' revenue raising is to run dodgy number plates. Interstate plates are even better. Pick 'em up from the tip or the local wreckers. What's the fine in the highly unlikely event you ever get caught, $100 bucks or something? Got to be better than losing your license and forking out mega bucks along the way.I don't think the cops are going to send someone out to check the plates on every white Lancruiser in Australia for a $80 speeding ticket do you?

I am only joking of course. That would be illegal and iresponsible.

I use my cruise control for country driving now which avoids the problem in the first place. And with my recently re-upolstered driver's seat and new sheepskins, I want spend as much time as possible on the road (or off it);-)
AnswerID: 100429

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:10

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:10
Not sure where you are V8, thought it was WA... cos we have those new ARNOLD ??? cameras. You know the ones they set up on the side of the road, slow the traffic down to a crawl and as you pass the camera it instantly looks up your rego details.

By the time you get to the end of the que they know if your veh is registered or not and if the owner has and outstandng warrants!!

Great job I reckon, how many pieces of junk do you see on the roads and think stay away from me, cos that thing is not insured or registered!!!

My opinoin on Point2Point, well it would be the first time I think that the police could actually influence (reduce)the amount of DANGEROUS DRIVING on our roads. To set up a speed camera and then walk away thinking the road is well policed is a joke. But we all know how hard revenue raising is when you look at all the dangerous offences on the road, tailgating, lane swapping, road rage, right lane morons etc etc.

Hey maybe that can be the next camera, right lane, ignorant moron camera...nah they would be too good to be true!!

Matt.
FollowupID: 358618

Reply By: peterK - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 23:53

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 23:53
Gotta agree if you dont speed you dont get stung (lol)
Got done a while ago by a speed camera, thought HA Ive got you blokes - there are no warning signs.
Went back to prove it - there was 8 signs - doh

Not saying its not revenue raising though, but - for all its faults, at least in nsw they just dropped the fine to "say its not"

But like you say in NT speed isnt such a bad thing, new cars are a bit better then in days of old, roads are better, but I suppose at the end of the day it is ability and ability.

Even though you were joking about the false number plates, tonight I got stuck behind two goats in a hotted up excel and a gey import nissan (you know the types play doof doof, reckon the chicks dig them and have the tacho mounted on the bonnet) - yep I was driving along Brighten - Botany Bay. Thing is neither of the speeding idiots who also stopped all the traffic while they shot water pistels at each other- had number plates on (back or front) and I am pretty sure they didnt loose the front one in a river crossing (lol) - BUT they get away with it!
AnswerID: 100435

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:42

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:42
I avoid the Hume Hwy like the plague. Yet another reason to go via the road less travelled.
AnswerID: 100441

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:44

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:44
Hi Truckster
One of the states in the USA has run point to point speedcontrol for at least 15 year, while travelling on the toll road pulled into the toll booth, toll $3.25 speeding ticket pay on the spot $25.00, pay before you leave the booth.
Ray
AnswerID: 100451

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:16

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:16
The solution is so bl--dy simple a 5yr old can figure it out,
Dont speed.
AnswerID: 100460

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:19

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:19
Yeah that's fine, but why don't they use sensible speed limits. Then people wouldn't need to speed.

I drive on two roads everyday to and from work that used to be 100km/h but even that was slow.

They are like air strips straight wide flat with NO side streets whatsoever and flat bush on the sides.

They REDUCED the speed limit to 90km/h!

Why??

Because it's easier to fine people if you make it SO FRUSTRATING to drive at the speed limit you can't help but go faster.

I actually start to nod off driving a brand new work car at 90km/h on a road that could easily be 110km/h. I'm all for speed limits, just make them reasonable not stupid. But we know it will never happen.
It's like it the northwest, (pilbra and kimbleys). 110km/hr for the great northern highway between meekathara and newman is absolutally REDICULOUS! 500km of NOTHING. Even the coppers up there used to tell us to leave real early in the morning so we would beat them to the highway and go at a reasonable speed.
FollowupID: 358658

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:54

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:54
i'm amazed the city link toll gantrys aren't already used for this garbage.

Would be great to organise a statewide go slow week where evryone gets up 1/2 hour early and cruises through the day, no fines for a whole week would really hurt the govt, just look at the response the coppers got when they said they wouldnt issue fines a while back in their EBA negotiations.

But if you want a great laugh, see if you can find 'angle grinder man' on the net, hes a pommy guy in a dodgy outfit who goes around with a petrol demo saw cutting off wheel clamps and cutting down speed cameras, absolute pissa..
AnswerID: 100464

Follow Up By: warthog - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:12

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:12
what a legend. His solution is so simple even a five year old can see it. Smash the cameras and the parasites who operate them.
FollowupID: 358612

Reply By: warthog - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:06

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:06
How ridiculous, the Hume is engineered for speeds well over the low posted limit. No sharp turns, divided road, wide verges and cars are also engineered with better handling and dynamics than they were back when it was a two lane goat track. Yes lets spend our time watching the speedo instead of the road and be lulled to sleep by the too slow speed limit. Germany which has a population far exceeding ours can have autobarns yet we have safety fascists in power in nsw and vic who post slow speeds on the best roads and then tell us its not revenue raising and we should all be basking in a warm inner glow safe in the knowledge that our patronising government is protecting us from ourselves. The last time I was down in the police state, sorry vic, I witnessed a patrol car chasing a bloke who would have been doing 110kmh max. This idiot passed a car down the emergency stopping lane doing what looked to be 180kmh with wire railing on his left, would have been a big crash had the car veerded left onto the stopping lane. I'm sure the bloke who got the ticket was truly grateful that the fine member of the vic police force risked his and other peoples lives by inappropriate speed in order to write him a ticket for going too fast.
AnswerID: 100465

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:25

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:25
Yep, I've got to agree with you, modern cars doing slower speed that 40 years ago, what a joke.

Setting a speed limit and a camera is not going to bother a D/H driving in an uregistered or stolen car with no license. He does'nt give two shts, but the poor bastard trying to get to work on time and is running late because every old fart with a wide brim hat has decided it's his right to break the law and hover in the right hand lane at 30km/h below the limit cops the fines and points. Pathetic.
FollowupID: 358660

Reply By: Chucky - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:29

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:29
How can the government predict how much they will earn from speeding fines. Unless the governemtn have told the police this is how much you WILL raise.
The Hume hwy is also federally paided and maintained and the land it is on is also federally owned. So what right does the Vic government have in putting speeding cameras on a ferdaral hwy when it does nothing to improve or maintain this hwy.
You would think with the amount of GST we pay and all the other taxes and charges we are force to pay to this government, that the the government wouldn't need to rely on the revenue raised from fines. But where does the money go? We pay chitload of cash on tolls everywhere we go and the amount of rego we pay is only going up, we also pay nearly 60% tax on our fuel. So where does this massive amount of money go?
AnswerID: 100470

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:26

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:26
Have you not heard of the pollies retirement fund?
FollowupID: 358661

Follow Up By: Member - Robert (WA) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:30

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:30
They give the money away to over seas countrys to make them look good

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 359203

Reply By: shaggy - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:12

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:12
Why cant you go through the first camera, and then pull over have a nice lunch etc. Then continue at a higher average speed, but at the end of the trip it still looks like you have taken the longer time, because the cameras dont know you have been lunching. One day all cars will have gps tracking, and satellites will issue fines. Better to enjoy speeding whilst we still can...

haha

AnswerID: 100474

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:22

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:22
G'day Shaggy,

Reckon they could do that now using your mobile phone, it keeps telling the tower your location. So guess what, have 2 locations have average speed on tap. Would only take a little wisper in Telstra/Optus ear and they would have that info. No need for expensive gear, have someone else do the work for you - a bit like GST.

Better make sure you have your phone turned off!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 358659

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:21

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:21
Easy to fix.... dont speed.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 100475

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:29

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:29
Easy to fix, just bend over and take another one up the ass from the great aussie governments. Hell why do they care? They get driven around in Holden Caprices while earning more in an hour than I do it a day.

Let's just help supports these leaches on society and ecourage them to control us and let them tell use how we will live our lives and what is safe for us to do.

Michael, why not write to them and ask if they can charge us some more tax on our fuel, it goes straight back to the fixing the roads, just like speeding fines do. And pigs fly.
FollowupID: 358662

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:29
Jeff M ,the pollies do care ,every time an election is due,, you vote the so called leeches into their grossly overpaid positions then bend over and complain that your getting shafted anally ,,simple solution , dont speed and you wont contribute as much as others do to the pollies retirement fund.
ps. some pigs do actually fly ,they have their own air wing in Vic + NSW.
FollowupID: 358701

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:38

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:38
If you don't vote, you pay even MORE in fines. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I do 1000kms a week in the city. I have not had a speeding fine for over 18 months, been plenty of close calls though. I find watching the road is much more important in saving my life than watching my fking speedo to make sure I'm not doing 5km/hr over the limit!
These bastards set you up, I drive through at LEAST one speed camera per day and the places these mongrals put them is NOT for slowing down traffic or saving lives it's for trapping people when they are most vaunrable. Their Furo signs that they are legally required to setup so you can see them are always faced parrallel to the road hidden in some bushes and the speed cameras a normally located in bushes or directly facing the sun in the afternoon or morning on a downhill run before a speed sign. The bastards are out there to fine you and nothing more.

FollowupID: 358703

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:41

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:41
Furthermore, my Older Brother drives like a complete granddad. Stops at all the stops signs AND giveway signs, never quite makes it to the speed limit under acceleration and always says "simple, don't speed". I laughed my ass off so hard when he got a ticket in the mail. Very funny. "simple don't speed, nah nah". Goes to show they are not out there to slow people down, they are out there to make money. End of storey.
FollowupID: 358705

Follow Up By: Pezza - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:49

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:49
Hook in Jeff!!
LMAO.
Everything you have written so far is exceptionally well written and my opinions agree with yours 100%, thank you for making me feel better by printing my opinions with far better use of language than I ever could have. What a great read!

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 358716

Follow Up By: warthog - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 20:21

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 20:21
I agree spot on Jeff , laughed pretty hard at the bend over comment it is a good analogy. My 70 year old aunty was booked recently for doing 54 in a 50 zone on a deserted road, what a menace she really needs to slow down.
FollowupID: 358719

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:44

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:44
I laugh at people who say DONT SPEED... How blind can you be?

Not 1 speedo in the country is 100% correct. How could you expect them to be, they are mass produced by a machine.. it only has to be 1mm either way and your gawn. And in Vic, the width of a speedo needle is enough to make everyone put you on the MOST WANTED list...

Drive by GPS? How many people out there on the roads actually have one?

Dont speed.. I bet everyone here who has said that has never been guilty of it themselves...

LMAO...
FollowupID: 358805

Reply By: Skinny- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:28

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:28
One of my friends said he got a letter from the Police telling him he was a good driver. In fact they sent him a photo of it to prove the point and was headed (You are ) driving fine ...he said the cost of the photo was a bit steep but worth it should someone dispute he was driving fine

ha ha

skinny

like me an oldie but a goodie
AnswerID: 100510

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:58

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:58
PArt of the problem is that you hardly ever see a cop car on the roads now. SO instead of detering spedding by their visible prescence, they now deter after the event by fining.

Years ago if you were pulled over in a unroadworthy car ( either run down or highly modified, or ANY other reason) the cops would give it sticker that would force it to be examined over the pits. If you gave them a hard time they would put the sticker on crooked as a signal to the guys at the pits so that they would give you a hard time back.

Wether you agreed with the process or not didnt matter because it worked. Now the cops have had to get special anti hooning laws to keep modified cars of the streets, got me stuffed what happened, the old way worked fine.
AnswerID: 100515

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:43

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:43
OH YEAH
But its all about he states safety isnt it

NOT!!!!!!!!

typical brax crap

he wont get back in
AnswerID: 100547

Follow Up By: Chucky - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:34

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:34
NO wonder the victorians are moving to QLD. The revenue raisers up here sit on the side of the road in $60,000 4wd's in areas that no accident has occured for at least 2 years before they started raising revenue there with the speed cameras then have the balls to say "since we have been here no accidents have occured".
I got done doing 94 in a 60 the just befoe xmas, I was on a unfamilar road and the speed dropped from 90 to 60. When I was pulled over the cop took great delight in pointing out that it was a 60 zone and I had lost 6 points and $350. I argued saying it was a 90 zone and asked where the 60 sign was and he pointed to a sign, 100m behind me with a truck parked right in front of it. I argued again and was told if I didn't like it then take it to court. I also check the distance reading which read 70meters. I worked out the sums and if I took it to court, even IF I won it would still cost me over $400 in lost wages, legal fees etc. And as my solisitor said, it's my word agaist a coppers that the truck was really there. and in his opion the judge will always rule in favour of the cop if there is any doubt at all over the incident.
So much for a fair and just legal system
FollowupID: 358715

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:12

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:12
Jeff M, it was i bit tongue in cheek Jeff, but really what can you do, What did all the voting motorists do when they made personal radar detectors illegal... everyone just laid down and took it. really the government has it all over us, changing Governments doesn't help!! It f you make a noise about it they probably think it must be a good thing and you must be speeding to be worried about it .. They will tell you its in the interest of public safety. My two boys are 8 and 10 yo, they have a long way to go before they get on the road but i'm hoping the new young drivers have a more sedate driving manners than i did in the past. Hopefully for their own safety. Ask some of the guys on this site that have 17yo sons and daughters just on the road for the first time, it must be nerve racking, or the parents knowing their are so many dills on the road and every intersection is a potential place for their precious teenager to be T-Boned. I'm all for anything that can make stupid people to take care. Having said that, duel laned highway should be a little faster than 110 as it probably keep you more alert. In the USA a decade ago, the highway speeds were raised from the days when there was a oil shortage, they expected a much higher road toll but in fact it declined at a huge rate, for that reason, less frustration and keeps you alert, I think the highway speed was only 50 mph.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 100627

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:48

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:48
Mate I was an absolute accident waiting to happen, no infact they weren't waiting to happen they DID happen!
When I was 17-20 I was terrbile, just a complete moron on the roads and I'm the first to admit to it!

But....

I didn't give 2 shts about speeding fines, cops, speed cameras, speed limits. Why would I, I was indestructable!
Multinovas were around when I first got my license but they didn't even make me flinch.
The Point is that the worst offenders on the road just don't care about it, the only people it affects are the people who are "safe" drivers and who are at least trying to do the right thing.
The whole thing is just ass about and there to make the governments more money IMHO.
FollowupID: 358796

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:31

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:31
Jeff,
This is so accurate, the village idiot will always find a way of killing himself or worse, someone else.
I do a lot of work around mines. Lots of big machinery tightly controlled, experienced and well trained drivers and operators. Very few accidents.
Why? Because they won't let those that sneak into the gene pool when the chlorine is down drive the gear. Yet they can have a licence to the site without showing any particularly important skills. We actually allow people to fling 2 tonnes of metal at another 2 tonnes of metal with an approach speed of 200km/h! Then we expect a stripe of paint and an empty head to control the outcome.
Have a think about it, there are some lovely people in this world, they just shouldn't be allowed to operate machinery.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 358802

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:52

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:52
I want to see what happens when nobody has a license anymore due to running out of points, when every driver on the road trys to catch a bus, or train, or ..?? Can you imagine the shooting, and brawls at bus stops with 2000 people waiting for a 40 seater bus?

Insurance companies must be rubbing their hands together since you are now automatically the worlds worst driver since you have had a few fines of 3kph over the limit.. they will times your premium by 1000, since you have no options.

and the world truly is a better place...
AnswerID: 100670

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:27

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:27
Truckster
I dont know about Victoria, but in NSW, thats wat the govt wants, all of us to catch public transport. The problem is public transport really doesnt exist and where it does, it doesnt run on time. An yes to your previous post reply, i do speed, normally 120kph on the hume highway every morn and afternoon just to lessen my daily trip to work and back. Lucky i never get booked, the cops seem to be reasonable (or just lazy).I pass radar regularly, possibly 3 times out of 10 trips a week, very rarely would you get booked at 120 in a 110 zone here in NSW. In fact i dont think many people get booked for the under 15 kph over the limit at the 110 limit. The Police in VIc have been pounding you guys for as long as i can remember. afew ks. over and your gone... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 358820

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:29

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:29
Truckster, what is the fine for a few ks' over??
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 358821

Sponsored Links