Getting water - Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:37
ThreadID: 20839 Views:4725 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings again, I hope you had an enjoyable weekend. Excuse my ignorance but with the Flinders trip now only 2 sleeps away the 80series is all ready to go. I am carrying 50lt of water with us. Now seeing this is my first 'outback' experience how do you go getting more water? Obviously petrol stations and the like would have water and we will be passing one every second day probably. But if Im not filling up with juice it doesn't feel right filling up with water. What do you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance again...

Marko
(im not going to be sleepin real well the next two nights :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squizzy - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:05

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:05
Marko,

Depending on where you are camping, there is water available at Wilpena Pound, Rawnsley Park, and there is good spring water at Aroona Valley from a standpipe.

There is also water at Blinman, Parachilna, Willow Springs, Arkaroola, Grindells Hut, etc.

Have a great trip, (no need to tell you that 'cause I know you will)

Geoff.
AnswerID: 100458

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:19

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:19
Grindells Hut is a long way to go get some water
FollowupID: 358613

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:24

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:24
I was only giving alternatives, Marko may decide to give the northern Flinders a visit.
And he did say the Flinders which covers that area anyway.
Most other points I mentioned are in the central Flinders area.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 358622

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 00:10

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 00:10
Hi there.
I always used to replenish my water from the standpipe at Aroona. A bit of lime, but good drinking.
However when I was there last November there was none. It either was turned off up at the spring or the level was too low.

Enjoy the Flinders,
Mike.
FollowupID: 358757

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:08

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:08
Marko,

50 litres of water should be heaps. Within the confines of the National Park, most campsite areas have a "central" outback toilet. (very good design too)
At the rear is a rainwater tank, fed from the roof of the toilet block which should be sufficient to supplement your own supply.

In addition to this the chances are that you will find running water in the creeks, which is of drinkable quality. If you wish, you can "sterilize" this by boiling first.

Depending on your location, you will probably find you will visit places like Wilpena Pound, or Blinman, so additional water supplies will be available here.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Flinders Trip as your first outback experience, so just relax mate and "soak it up".
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100459

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:35

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:35
Hi Marko,
Is your water 50 L in one container?, if so take a 20l plastic container as some water may not be so palitable and this will give you the chance to fill anywhere and us it for washing etc, to save tainting you drinking water.
Have a great trip we try to get up there as much as we can, great place.
Cheers
AnswerID: 100462

Reply By: Marko - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:07

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:07
Hi all,

Thanks for the tips. Doesn't sound like water will be any problem. With the current weather up there were going to need alot of it ... supplemented of course with some Boags for medicinal purposes...

Chat again in 3 weeks or so...

Marko

(this time next week... let me see... camping around willow waters i reckon)
AnswerID: 100467

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:14

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:14
Here's my suggestion:

As you travel, buy several 5 L or 10 L water from the shops along the way.

For example, last'major' stop for retail purchases in the Flinders is at Hawkerat the grocers, over the road from Teague's Mobil Servo.

Have your 50 L 'in reserve' as it were. Use it after you have used the 3 x 10 L you are gunna get. For budgeting purposes, remember 5 litres/head/day in these temps

A 10 litre generic brand cardboard box of water will only cost a few small $'s. Easy shape to pack on the floor, behind your seat etc.
Recycle cardboard box & bladder when consumed.

have fun

FollowupID: 358696

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:27

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:27
Marko - others may have said this but for safety and convenience (in that order) consider taking the water in several containers (if not done already). If one springs a leak, all is not lost - also, if you can only obtain inferior water at certain places, you can put all the good water into one of the containers. Options with storage are a great assett. And one of the best rules I've learned is to keep filling them up as opportunity arises - don't assume you can get quality water "later on". Have a good 'un.
AnswerID: 100486

Reply By: Marko - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:00

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:00
Greetings everyone,

This is what I have decided to do. 2 seperate water tanks (20lt and 25lt) plumbed seperatley. 2 casks of water 10lt for drinking. I'll mainly use the 45lt for washing/showering etc.

By the way I will be up near Grindels Hut around day 9 or 10. Sounds like water is not going to be a problem. Thanks for your input everyone.

Regards,

Marko

(this time tomorrow, somewhere between Melbourne and Broken Hill)
AnswerID: 100633

Sponsored Links