Continuous Hot Water at camp.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:35
ThreadID: 20846 Views:2917 Replies:10 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
...if you had a tinny (boat not drink) you could do the same

Continuous running hot water

We have the room to carry a bath, and if you had a tinny (boat not drink) you could do the same. Heck! You could just dig a big hole and whack a tarp in it as lining.

By getting a low pressure continuous gas hot water system and running it on LPG with a 12V pump and a car battery. You could wheel the unit into a river and switch in on. As long as there is water in the river you will have hot water until the gas runs out. That’s loveyoulongtime!!!

Yes yes I’ve seen the Coleman and primus. But I want to have the option of having a bath. A BIG BATH!!!

My Mrs. (I love you honey) Would LOVE the luxurary of a hot bubble bath whilst camping in the snow. Yours would too.

If you’re a plumber in Melbourne and want a project, this is for you.

I have seen similar in US but can’t get straight enough answers to part with my cash on the net.

Maybe we could park a 4by very close to the first bath in case it blows up. We would just say it was a rehearsal for OzE-MythBusters©.

Another project I will be tackling soon is the pedal powered wheelchair
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:57

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:57
G'day IMusty,

I take it there was a link with this? Like the idea now where is the link!

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 100491

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:03

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:03
Not a problem. Plonk your bath by the river, fill it up with water and circulate it through a twine until hot enough, add bubbles, strip off, jump in.

I would like to go deep sea diving in the Simpson Desert....any ideas?
AnswerID: 100492

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:18

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:18
Deep sea diving is a bit trickier.

I don’t have a tank
FollowupID: 358652

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:45

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 14:45
a friend did up a coaster and fitted a bosch instant hws fed by an automotive lpg tank (80 ltr i think) mounted underneath, fills it at servos for nix and has heaps of hot water inside and out. Dunno about the bath though.
AnswerID: 100497

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:00

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:00
Where does he get the water? Does he carry it?

I want to be in the river when I take a shower. I thought it would cut out heaps of hoses and the like.

Also the pump does not have to work too hard seeing as it only has to pump a short distance.

If the unit was free standing and seperate from the vehicle it would be more flexible.

I do have a pic but don't know how to show it here.

Thanks for the feedback.

OBTW how's the coaster? Is it still going?
FollowupID: 358655

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:53

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:53
i was gunna berate you about the shower in river thing but nudie beat me to it.. No soaps in waterways !! - especially high phosphate varietys.

RE the coaster , he also has a real big tank under one side for water, so no dramas there. But the only off road it sees is a dirt road into the murray. Still going well.

I reckon if you carry some buckets back and forth a few times you appreciate the ability to have a shower in the bush a lot more. And you can have a nature shower in the trees (with the missus if you like). Now its just getting seedy, gota go.........
FollowupID: 358669

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:24

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:24
that would be really nice of you to pollute our water ways even more by having a bath in or right next them with soap suds n all.
AnswerID: 100509

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:48

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:48
Couldn't agree more Nudenut
No wonder access to more and more places are being taken away from us with this sort of mentality
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 358667

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:53

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 15:53
If you knew how far away from waterways we bleep and how far from the river we washed dishes. You might withdraw your comment.

I go to a great deal of trouble to clean where I go. I have carted crap out of the bush and even found the AUTHORITIES little or NO help to remove the junk. I will pat myself on the back here, (and all of us who keep this Great Nation clean should).

We use biodegradable soap if any. I am SOOO conscious of my effect on the environment.

I do an emu bob every single time I leave a site. And have had to do many on arrival. I don’t complain because people are pigs. I’m not gonna let it spoil what precious time I have here on this big ball.

Peace to you and your family.
FollowupID: 358668

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:01

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:01
withdraw our comment ..why? we cant see any reason to do so unless of course the following the following is also untrue!

"We use biodegradable soap if any."

are you serious or have you been pulling our leg
FollowupID: 358691

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:05
OK I didnt read what you said below before I posted the above

So, would you wash in the river using biodegradable soap?
FollowupID: 358695

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:42

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 18:42
Nudenut.

I'm not gonna bs you but your concern has got me a bit mystified so I went to the bus and opened our toiletry bag.

The stuff we wash with is called "love it" or love something. (it is worn) It has Hemp Seed, Coconut and Vitamin E and and Lanolan. Mate if this stuff is doing the world harm I'll cop it sweet. I'll be wrong.

NO wucken Furries.

I am not a greenie or anything like it, BUT as I said if it is harming the waterways let me know.

Let's see you put the name up of your soap and if it gets a unanimous nod I'll start using it immediately.

PU or SU
FollowupID: 358706

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 20:32

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 20:32
it does not matter what you wash with, in or next to our waterways
if you are doing that then you are polluting our streams!
I have let you know!!!!!!
FollowupID: 358726

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 21:15

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 21:15
So you must be saying you don't wash when you go camping!

PU or SU means ... Put up or Shut up.

You did not Put Up, so now the later applies.

FollowupID: 358736

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:37

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:37
no i am not saying I dont wash....yes i do....and sometimes no i dont...phew the stink......but when i do its not in or next to a stream or waterway!

as in most instances water is a rare commodity when camping we only have a wash......and use lots of baby wipes in the process....sometimes we are lucky and have access to shearers quarters, old huts with septic sewer systems in place eg grindells (hot water too) and old paney in the gawler ranges (cold only brrrrrr)

As it apparently doesnt bother you by washing in a stream, Its got me thinking and wondering if it was you that washed in the last landowners stock water trough I passed by?............... well was it?
FollowupID: 358775

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:50

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:50
I don't know what you're on about.

Let's see.

You past somewhere??? And saw something???

So you assume it's me. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!!!

Are YOU for real?

Mate! I see a consistency in your thread now. A Childs picture, A Childs baby wipes, a Childs cognitive limit.

I think it’s time for your nap.

Nitey nite.

FollowupID: 358782

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:22

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:22
how do we get rid of jerks such as you
FollowupID: 358784

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:52

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:52
I might become a member just to see you throw a tantrum!

ROFLMAO!!!
FollowupID: 358791

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:18

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:18
member or not...you'd still be a jerk if you wash in the waterways!!!
FollowupID: 358800

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:21

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:21
so come hand over your money and become a member ...dont let me stop you

I rally to jerks like you hahahahaha
FollowupID: 358801

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:09

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:09
You don't really think anything you say or don't say can influence me one-way or another? Do you?

A boy like you must have great difficulties blending in. Even with your peers.

I can see that, others can too.

You are as transparent as water. The same water you claim not to wash with.

You’ve probably peeved off many before I came along, and will continue to do so for years. Promise me you WON’T change because I smile knowing that you will continue to fumble your way through life. Awkward. And defensive.
FollowupID: 358807

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:16

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:16
hahaha
FollowupID: 358808

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:04

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:04
Must have misunderstood the part where you wheel the unit into a river and switch it on
Mate it's nothing personal and maybe you were saying this "tongue in cheek"
and I applaude anyone who goes to great efforts to keep our waterways pollutant free and use bio degradable products
It is just a pet hate of mine when you see the senseless degrading of our environment, and no, I am not a greeny or treehugger just someone who cares
Didn't mean to get you off side
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 100516

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:53
Nothing wrong with acknowledging people for being off side if they are already offside. You can say what you think. I appreciate you for it. I really do.
No I was not saying it tongue in cheek.
I can’t see the diff between my little trolley wheels and 4by wheels in the drink.
Of course common sense prevails, there are places where it is not advisable to swim, wash or even drink.
I am not a snob but I love doing things a bit out of the ordinary. I don’t buy my girlfriend flowers on Valentines Day but she would flip out (in a good way) if I understood her hesitations about stuff and even come up with a few unorthodox methods to overcome them.
Mate! Think about it. A bloody hot bath in the snow! How great is that?

If you see me somewhere and you don't want a bath, you're welcome at my fire anyway.

No offense taken by you expressing your point of view
FollowupID: 358676

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:12

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:12
My ex partner was heavily into baths - I was going to buy a child’s paddling pool and use water heated over the camp fire to make a camp bath for her - never got around to it though.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 100526

Follow Up By: iMusty - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 21:38

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 21:38
G'day Mike I have contemplated many ways to make a bath. There are heaps of ways to do it. Like you I have thought of ways but didn’t do it yet.
I like what I want … and I want what I like.
I will make a hws and it will be a ripper.
I do like the paddling pool idea. Thanks.

Oh by the way I read a lot of the Forum and I relate to your views. And the posts you like too. There are some good people around here. Maybe we’ll meet up one day. Take care.

iMusty
FollowupID: 358737

Reply By: BigPop - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:46

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:46
iMusty,
I have a similar set up that we use on extended camping trips. I have a low pressure LPG HWS you can see it here HWS and use it in conjunction with a 12V Shurflo pump or a 240V Onga pressure pump depending on where we are camped. Works a real treat . We do use it well away from any watercourses etc etc etc

Regards
BigPop
(I never get lost because everyone tells me where to go)
AnswerID: 100654

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:09

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:09
Wouldnt a coleman be easier , all the extra pumps ect ect.
FollowupID: 358793

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:10

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:10
Sent an Email already. THANKS.

iMusty
FollowupID: 358794

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:26

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:26
Undertaker.

YES! A coleman would be much easier, but not as good.

Eg... You dont have the temperature adustments.
I can't get straight answers from coleman in regards to pump specs.
i can't improve the pump capabilities.
I have to circulate the water in a bucket to get is REAL hot.
I cant see how I can change or improve 1 aspect of the Coleman or the Primus if it needed ajusting.

A tweak here and there. You know what I mean.

If you make it yourself you know it inside out. I like that.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon the Coleman & Primus are great devices from what I see. If they were the ONLY option I would get one. But there is many ways to do this. I don't want to get the first thing that I see.

FollowupID: 358795

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:52

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 13:52
iMusty, learn to do some basic reasearch on the items you tend to bag before you do your inane posts ,the coleman has variable water temp, I would love to see you put your hand under the stream when dial set on hot ,70deg ,push and hold dial,98deg ,,might just stop you from being the w-nker that you are.
AnswerID: 100679

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:18

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:18
what you doing calling the jerk a w-anker....geez your going to cop it! hahaha
FollowupID: 358817

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:25

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:25
Nudenut,as above rig profile.
FollowupID: 358818

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:59

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:59
Thanks for you input.

My quote "Eg... You dont have the temperature adustments"

My reasoning... If I use a seperate and more powerful pump I can pump water 50mtrs from the source which would alleviate your friends concerns of washing IN the river.

My quote "I can't get straight answers from coleman in regards to pump specs".

My quote" i can't improve the pump capabilities"
I cant touch the thing inside unless I void the warranty.

My quote "I have to circulate the water in a bucket to get is REAL hot"
If I am in the snow I believe the water will be too cold to shower with, coleman happen to agree with me on this point.

I cant see how I can change or improve 1 aspect of the Coleman or the Primus if it needed ajusting.

A tweak here and there. You know what I mean.

If you make it yourself you know it inside out. I like that.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon the Coleman & Primus are great devices from what I see. If they were the ONLY option I would get one. But there is many ways to do this. I don't want to get the first thing that I see.
FollowupID: 358823

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 15:06

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 15:06
UNDERTAKER

REVISED REPLY

Thanks for you input.

My quote "Eg... You don’t have the temperature adjustments"

My reasoning... If I use a separate and more powerful pump I can pump water 50mtrs from the source, which would alleviate your friends concerns of washing IN the river.

My quote "I can't get straight answers from Coleman in regards to pump specs".
I won’t need answers if I make it myself, but since you own a Coleman will they pump water for 50mtrs up hill?

My quote" I can't improve the pump capabilities"
I can’t touch the thing inside unless I void the warranty.

My quote "I have to circulate the water in a bucket to get it REAL hot"
If I am in the snow I believe the waters temperature will only be heated to a certain point above ambient, just like a fridge. Wow if I’m wrong and it seems that you saying it will do 98deg suggests that I am. Well I must have made an error, which implies I am a swanker as you say.

My quote “I can’t see how I can change or improve 1 aspect of the Coleman or the Primus if it needed adjusting”.
I just can’t see how I can pull apart the unit. They’re made pretty well; I only see it on display at the shops. Obviously I don’t own one or you wouldn’t get the opportunity to insult me.

My quote “A tweak here and there. You know what I mean” If you can’t separate yourself enough from the dislike of me to learn something, more fool you.

You’ve probably heard that said before about you. More fool you.

My quote “If you make it yourself you know it inside out. I like that”.

My final quote “Don't get me wrong; I reckon the Coleman & Primus are great devices from what I see. If they were the ONLY option I would get one. But there is many ways to do this. I don't want to get the first thing that I see.”

I think you have taken a dislike to me as I think differently to you. (If you think at all) Bless you; don’t go changing.
FollowupID: 358825

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 15:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 15:56
errr once a jerk always a jerk eh
i didnt think you did either hehehe
geez he carries on...starting to think he is Mainey's brother lol lol
FollowupID: 358829

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 17:07

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 17:07
iMusty ,pray tell us what 4x4 semi trailer your going to use to carry your 50mtr s of intake pipe and 240v pump+ generator to lift your water 50mtrs because you wont be using 12v over that distance ,as Nudenuts said "jerk"off.
AnswerID: 100697

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 18:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 18:56
Good point. I hadn't figured on the power that's needed to move the water.

I wonder if I use thin hose like garden hose. And for a pump maybe I could rig something up to work off the engine whilst it's running. It would only need to run for a short while.

Thanks for your support.

... Wanker sighning off

FollowupID: 358847

Reply By: brett - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:09

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:09
You can ditch the standard coleman pump and put any pump on if you want more flow. The coleman pump is perfect when water is scarce, plenty of flow for a shower using less than 10 Litres. I have a Shurflo 12V pump on my camper which I can connect to the coleman unit via the coleman mains water adapter, basically it's a 6V operated valve. HAven't tried it in the bush yet but at home I can pull water from 15m away using a garden house in about 30 seconds with this pump also up a 1m rise. I reckon it would easily pull further than this.
AnswerID: 100718

Follow Up By: iMusty - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:45

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:45
Thanks
FollowupID: 358868

Sponsored Links