After Market Cruise Control

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:09
ThreadID: 20855 Views:14226 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Can anyone recommend an after market cruise control system for my manual diesel Landcruiser? Any suppliers here in Sydney?

Thanks again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:15

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:15
Pesty put a good unit from KMart in his 60 series at xmas time. I think it's called an AP50 and has been covered a fair bit on here in the past. Suggest you do an archives search. I think they cost about $150- and you can install yourself as there are heaps of different bits and pieces to choose from in the kit, to enable fitment to various vehicles.
Otherwise you could investigate the AusCruise system.....quite a bit dearer at about $600- and you'd probably have to have it installed professionally as it needs to be set-up using a computer software that only the installer has access to.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 100529

Follow Up By: Alan S (NSW) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:19

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:19
Thanks for that.
$150 sounds better than $600 to me. I'll do a search of the archives, just a bit busy today and I need to install it soon. Too many cramps in my right leg and a trip to queensland in two weeks...

Do you know if it was steering wheel mounted controls or what?
FollowupID: 358680

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:33

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:33
The Aus Cruise one has steering wheel buttons....i think they make a lot of the OEM stuff for Ford etc, so it is good stuff.

The one that pesty put in has a small box (about the size of a matchbox) which needs to be mounted somewhere. It has the buttons and he mounted his just on the dash about where his right hand sits on the steering wheel....so he can touch the buttons with his extended middle finger (he does that a lot when I'm around...hahaha).

There is no doubt about it, the Aus Cruise unit is classy and is all electronic, whereas the AP50 operates using a vaccuum canister under the bonnet to activate the throttle and a magnet/s on the tailshaft to determine the speed etc. This means bolting on a sensor that hangs off the chassis and sits very close to the tail shaft. Pesty found that only 1 magnet works better than both that they supply. The magnet can be secured with double sided tape as well as the thin wire that is provided.
You have to tap into a vaccuum hose (very easy to do) and they give you various sized T pieces to achieve this.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 358684

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:39

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:39
My personal experience with a vacuum cruise control with a diesel Pajero was that it did not have the "power" to keep throttle steady especially at low speeds (around 60kph).

I had one fitted from new by the dealer, and had it swapped out for an electric one after a couple of months, as it was just not reliable.

Not too bad at highway speeds, except if you expected it to pull you back up to 110 after slowing down to about 60, but no good for tax avoidance around town.

I would suggest that it is worth spending a little more and having peace of mind.

Ken
AnswerID: 100532

Reply By: SteveL - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:51
I installed an AP50 about 2 months in my GQ 4.2 diesel.It was very straight forward and I didn't need to drill any extra holes in the bodywork to fit it. Just used existing holes and didn't even need to cut any vacuum hoses.The system has worked well so far.
AnswerID: 100535

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:40

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:40
Alan S,
Got an AP50 from Kmart for $135 about 6 years ago. Fitted to my HJ75. The only problem i have had is losing the magnet off the tail shaft. Other than that goes like $#!+ off a shovel.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100555

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:45

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:45
Hi Alan
Yes Roachie is right it was a Command AP.50 and it works a treat, basic unit works great, one magnet on tailshaft and it works a speed range from about 40 to 120, on medium sensitivity, it can also be altered to have more pulses so the it will go faster.
Mine cuts out at 113 km hr so i have left it at that to help against getting speeding fines LOL
Purchased from K Mart and some autobarns have them too, about $200, and a manual will need a clutch switch as well although I am the usual driver and i havent worried as yet, just have to remember to switch it off b4 changing gears.
Some one said about not working very well with vacum, I think this would be a vacum problem with that car .

Cheers
AnswerID: 100556

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:00

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:00
I have the AP50 on my HJ75 troopie. It DID need both magnets AND cutting the black wire loop, I think just one magnet would not help with shaft balance either.

I use epoxy glue (araldite) to stick the magnets on a cleaned and degreased area of the rear shaft flange at the transfer box, they are wired on too. The pick up mounts on a bracket which is bolted where the speedo cable is held as well. The bracket hardware that came with the unit was no good for that job, bent my own from flat alu bar. I believe in doing this job once and reliably, therefore would not recommend using double side tape other than for testing purposes, its a hostile enviroment.

The unit works great with the 6.2 litre diesel engine, I am not sure if the standard donk has the grunt for using it on other than dead flat roads.
I do turn it off if it gets too hilly - too expensive on fuel otherwise :-(

Do not forget to fit the extra switch to the clutch pedal, it IS required if you like your engine.
Klaus
FollowupID: 358762

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:56
Ive had an AP50 fitted to my Pajero for about 5 years.

Works well.

Easy to fit. Finding a vaccum line was the hardest bit.

I dont have the clutch switch added. I'm the only one that uses it.
FollowupID: 358797

Reply By: Croozer - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 22:17

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 22:17
I has an Auscruise cruise control with steering wheel controls fitted to my 80 series DX turbo diesel manual, it worked really well.
Stu
AnswerID: 100595

Reply By: GeeVee - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:49

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:49
Alan,

I fitted an AP.60 ($190) to diesel Maverick (turbo) works well. Command AP.60 has dash mounted control whereas the AP.50 is a stalk control off the steering column. I attached the activating cable to my throttle pedal, along side the hand throttle cable. I also have the vacuum canister (plastic) mounted on the firewall inside the cabin away from the engine heat. Bought a brake pedal switch from Super Cheap for $6 and fitted to clutch pedal so the cruise control is disabled if brake or clutch is operated.

Lot of luck,

Greg
AnswerID: 100664

Reply By: Member- Peter & Mrs Peter, Lez - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 17:49

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 17:49
Hi Alan
I had the Auscruise fitted to mine, really classy looking and works faultlessly. Waited for Auto Barn to have their 20% off sale, includes 20% off installation as well. Was some of the best money I have spent. Couldn't imagine driving wiyhout it now.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 100700

Reply By: vegman - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 23:54

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 23:54
Guys,
Noticed allot of users have fitted AP50/60 Cruise Controls
I purchased a second hand unit with no wiring diagrams.
I have worked out the following but don't what the Brown and brown/white are for
Servo…………….Red, White & Black
Magnet Sensor…...Blue & Black
Control…………...Red, Orange, Yellow & Green
Positive…………..Orange
Ground…………..Green
Brake??????..........Brown
Brake??????..........Brown/White

I assume one is positive brake input and the other is negative brake input
Could anybody help me with these two wires?

Your help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 103131

Sponsored Links