Duncan Rd to Wolfe Ck Crater via Sturt Creek

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:22
ThreadID: 20871 Views:2118 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled along the route that connects Duncan Road (about 87km east of Halls Creek) and the Tanami Track to the south? This route roughly parallels Sturt Creek and forks at Sturt Creek Station. The westerly fork continues to parallel Sturt Creek before passing by Carrany Stn ruins and connecting with the Wolfe Creek Crater access road. What is the condition of this track, is it open for public access and/or is permission required? Any comments welcome.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:07

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:07
This follows the top end of the CSR and has'nt been open for years as a through track. I guess it can be travelled in parts, you would need to contact the stations on route to see if it can be done.

Not a single vehicle trip I would reckon.
AnswerID: 100626

Reply By: AJB - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:56
I lived out that way in the mid 90's. Actually at Billiluna but anyway we used to go out to Sturt Creek Stn to have a BBQ etc every now and then. Continued onto Halls Creek a couple of times but mostly headed back to Billiluna. Back then the track was in good condition and resonably easy to follow but I knew where I was going. The station managers, it was and probably still is a Kidman property, were friendly and glad to see some other people. It was just a couple there then, Merv & Jenny, and for most of the year are there by themselves although Ruby Plains, another Kidman property on the Tanami had quite a lot of staff residing there and they would travel accross for the day. It's not that far along station tracks between the two. I've got a mud map but it is in my head. I know going there you turned off at old Carranya, between the now disused Carranya roadhouse and Wolfe Creek Crater. Along the track there were a couple of dumped trucks, a Kaiser with a Diahatsu on the back and a Bedford with a stock crate. When we hit the road heading towards the duncan Hwy, we turned right and went past a dam and then Sturt Creek Stn was there with the Brahmans on the gate. Brings back a few memories.
Anyhow I reckon it's pretty easy travelling. Had a dual cab rodeo in those days.

Regards
AB
AnswerID: 100722

Sponsored Links