Landy ARB Steel B/B Vs Alloy B/B? air bag operation)

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 21:42
ThreadID: 20887 Views:1768 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

I am going to purchase a new 100 series Landcruiser wagon (selling my 1997 80 series diesel in the trader). I prefer steel bull bars but the Toyota agent tells me that I would be better off buying a genuine Toyota Landcruiser alloy bar. Both are supposed to be air bag compatable but if the air bag fails to open on impact with the steel bar then litigation issues are much more complex because I have fitted a non genuine accessory or so he says.

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 23:06

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 23:06
Sounds like crap.

All reputable bullbar manufacturers certify those that are airbag compatable.

If they don't work ... get your estate to sue the bludgers.

Cheers
AnswerID: 100733

Reply By: Matt H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 23:09

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 23:09
Boogum,

Sounds more like, "If you buy a non genuine bar my commission will be less." Just my thoughts, perhaps I'm cynical.

If the after market bar is sold and tested as air bag compatible any failure as a direct result of the bar would be the responsibility of the manufacturer of the said bar. If the air bag failed because it was faulty it would be the responsibility of Toyota, regardless of what bar was fitted. Not real comforting for whoever was sitting behind the air bag. Stick with those manufacturers who properly test for air bag compatibility and you should have no problem.

Matt.
AnswerID: 100734

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:50

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:50
Just ask the Toyota agent who made the genuine Toyota alloy bar. TJM.

Also ask the agent who makes the genuine Toyota steel bar. ARB

Wayne
AnswerID: 100904

Sponsored Links