2nd Hand Prado diesel

Submitted: Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2089 Views:2225 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone had any tips about buying a 2nd hand Prado diesel? Are there things that are common problems with these vehicles? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sambo - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
Dave, I would suggest if your looking at a 2nd hand diesel Prado that one of the main things you look for is a up to date service record. I currently own a 2000 Prado TX and am extremely happy with it. The only thing I would suggest checking is the CV boot covers (they have a history of deteriorating rapidly) and if buying from a dealer have them replaced if they are cracked, aside from this you would be buying one of the best diesels on the market in my opinion. As for fuel economy I constantly get 10litres per 100km or better and it has never missed a beat. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 7162

Follow Up By: Dave - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Sambo
It's fantastic to have such positive and honest feedback from an owner. Are your fuel consumption figures from city or highway driving?
I look like I have found a Feb 2000 TX with 60000km and a full service history. Only problems I can see is the bushes on the front sway bar are pretty much gone and there seems to be a bit of play and small amount of oil from the output shaft from the transfer case after the universal joint. Is this normal or a major problem?
Also it has Bilstein shocks and OME coils giving approx 2" lift.
CV boots seem fine.
Any further comments would be great. Thanks heaps again.
Dave
FollowupID: 3307

Reply By: Sambo - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Dave, the oil on the transfer case is probably from sweating not leaking so I would be concerned about that. My figures are about a 50/50 mix of both. The worst figure it has ever returned is 12.5l and that was 4 adults fully loaded plus towing offraod camper trailer. The TX is a magnificant vechile and I would defiantely buy it if everything is in order. The Diesel Turbo Prado was 4wd monthly's 2000 4wd of the year, 2nd last year and 4th this year, would have been second again only that it suffered a front diff failure (havent heard of this happening before) and missed out on one section of judging, still came second in class minus results of one section. The only 4wd judged better is petrol Landcruiser and considering its competition I think that is an exceptional result. On the Ramp test it scored better than the live axle patrol only beaten by Landcruiser not bad considering it has IFS. Glad to have helped if you need any other info my email is tony280576@hotmail.com. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 7259

Follow Up By: Sambo - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Dave sorry should read "the oil on the transfer case is probably from sweating not leaking so I would NOT be concerned about that.
FollowupID: 3324

Follow Up By: Dave - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks again Tony. You have confirmed my choice for me. I am going to pick it up tomorrow!!
I went to a Toyota dealer yesterday and all the Prado's there had the same grease splatter from the shaft. The service manager said it was normal and it is just that they are greased regularly. So I was a bit paranoid but better to be safe than sorry. It wasn't oil after all.
Can't wait to get it! I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave (davidstowephotographer@yahoo.com)
FollowupID: 3347

Sponsored Links