waeco cf-110

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 17:56
ThreadID: 20911 Views:11881 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at buying a waeco cf-110 fridge,i'm after some information on what their like and current draw/battery life.I live in Cairns so it will be used in a fairly hot/ humid climate.
Thanks Stubby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:18

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:18
Hi stubby,
I've got the CF110, claimed current draw is 3.4-3.6Ah I reckon the actuall is closer to 4-4.5Ah. I have it hooked up to a 100Ah AGM battery which is in a battery box and portable via the use of an Anderson Plug. I still have to go for a drive at least once a day to maintain the battery. I'm looking into alternatives like solar to help the battery along. All my use has been in Victoria in conditions from mild to about 34C.

Very happy with the fridge itself, missus loves it as she can take fresh vegies, salad and fruit for the kids as well as the usual supply of meat and beveredges.
Blue
AnswerID: 100825

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:58

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:58
Big Fridge, big power draw, it's that simple. Expect to use 60-90 amps per 24 hours depending on how hard you run it, how often it is opened, how often you put warm stuff into it, how well you insulate it, whether you keep it in the sun or the shade, airflow to the fridge etc

I've got a CF80, great unit. As Blue said, you need to repower it daily. I've gone with a solar panel coupled to a 100 amp AGM battery; works a treat.

Having gone from a 39L fridge to this I am very happy with the extra capacity and power it accordingly.

Without solar constantly feeding it the need to run the car constantly to keep the batt charged is a pain. Also depends on what type of aux batt you run; if it's a wet cell DC which will only charge slowly from your alternator, you'll be running the car far too often. Even with an AGM you will need to idle the car for about 15 min, 4 times per day.

In my experience, this size fridge needs solar. I get by with a Unisolar 64 watt panel, which with a decent regulator and cabling will set you back about $700.

Hope this helps,

Jim.
AnswerID: 100830

Follow Up By: Bros - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:10

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:10
Jimbo,
Do you absolutely, desperately need a regulator.
Need input.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 358968

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:23
YES,

Without question. Panels put out about 17 volts and plenty of amps in full sunlight. This will stuff your battery real quick.

Depending on your type of batt, 14.2 to 14.4 is all they like for other than a VERY short period. Some experts suggest up to 15.5 for a VERY short time to remove sulphation from wet cells. Gels and AGM's do not like more than 14.2 at any time as I understand it.

For confirmation or otherwise (because I'm no expert) speak to the bloke at Federal Batteries in Sydney on his 13.. Number.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 358969

Reply By: Pedro14 - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 20:43

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 20:43
G'day Stubby,
I have just bought one from The Fridgeshop (seconds shop of Waeco) http://www.fridgeshop.com/ , together with a Thermal cover and saved quite a bit.
Only ran it so far on 240 ( via a Mobitronics unit from Waeco)and am waiting on installation of an AGM (Fullrivers) to be purchased from Fridge and Solar at The Gold Coast .
Check this site for details of AGM batteries etc http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/agm.htm
Mr Val the proprietor is very helpful and he is setting me up with the following
120a AGM battery
Chargeguard Battery Isolator
Ctex Multi XS 7000 battery charger

These will be fitted in the back of an 80 series L/C and I understand the battery will run the waeco for around 24 hours and then can be recharged via alternator or 240v when available.

The unit is the same length and width as the 80 however, it is aroun 100m higher.

Was down at Brunswick the other day and spoke to a bloke in the park who had the 80 and he swore by it.

Good luck

Pedro
AnswerID: 100844

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:09

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 16:09
hmmm...I'm about to (or was about to) put a 120 a/h Fullriver AGM in my 100series LC alongside the existing N70 ozz Exide cranker. I have an FF70 Waeco using a claimed 3.5 draw. So, taking into account their claim of 33% running time and knocking the power off overnight, I should only be drawing 17.5 per day (in theory) thus giving me 6.87 days before running flat. There's more...our mate Val at fridge and solar claims on his website that the battery will fully charge in 2.5 to 3 hours from the alternator. So even an hours runabout will give you back 40 a/h which means there's no need for solar. I've just been to see the man (not Val - a bloke in Newcastle) and came away pretty excited at not needing solar, so go on....ruin my day, somebody, and get me back to the real world.
AnswerID: 102928

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 20:57

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 20:57
Steve Cobber,

The quoted figure of 3.5 amps is an average draw across the day (I've got a Waeco CF80 and have investigated this). Thus it will draw 24 hours x 3.5amps, equals around 84 amps per day. Waeco are pretty conservative about this and it may draw a little less, but at least 65-70.

I've got a Lifeline AGM Battery (supposed to be better quality than Fullriver but time will tell) and whilst it charges quickly, it never gets totally full quickly. Get used to running your engine 3 or 4 times a day to keep it reasonably charged unless you go solar. Letting it drop to 30% charged and then going for a drive to pick it up will fungool it real quick. Use a multi meter and check it regularly, if it hits 12.1 volts it is at about 50% and should be recharged in the interest of battery life.

Solar on the other hand keeps it full all day long and I find by morning it is still showing 12.4 volts or about 80% charged.

I started out with your theory, but soon invested in solar. I find a 64 watt Unisolar panel works well for me. With a decent regulator and cabling, $700.

Hope this helps,

Jim.
FollowupID: 360603

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:02

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:02
Hello Steve,
Who'd you speak to in Newcastle about AGM batteries?

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 360611

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:28

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:28
Geoff,

Talk to the bloke at Federal Batteries, Ryde. He's extremely helpful.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 360615

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:52

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:52
Thanks for the input Jim. I can see the philosophy is to let the thing lose as little charge as poss. Still, I'm a bit disappointed 'cos I thought with this battery I'd found the meaning of life. "Doing the Math" I thought i'd get more or less a week's use by knocking it off overnight and bearing in mind it only kicks in 30% (or so) of the time. I'll have to break the bad news to the "handbrake". I foolishly told her yesterday "yep, the 120 a/h fits. No need for solar. It recharges in 2/3 hrs." Talking of solar, I sometimes tow a small caravan, sometimes just take the tent. So my battery will have to be portable so I can leave it by the tent to charge??? So when I'm off fishing for the day I spose I'll have to trust in my fellow camper/passer-by not to succumb to temptation and lift my solar panel into the back of their ute whilst it's doing it's job.

Geoff the bloke was Doug at LMC (Lake Macquarie Communications) Bennetts Green/Gateshead. tel: 4942 1966. I'm sure he's quite knowledgeable but didn't know anything about these batteries recharging so fast which suggests he has limited experience in camping applications. Still, he sells and installs all the gear, including solar. He charges $265 for the Fullriver 100a/h which is pretty good and $279 for the 120 a/h. I get the impression the main thrust of the business is radio/gps etc.
AnswerID: 103055

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 11:27

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 11:27
aaaagh!!! Spoke to the Piranhana bloke in Hornsby who said the Fullriver is probably crap or exaggerated rating. He uses a Century 85 ah ("genuine") wet cell, and for "just" $990 will include 2 x hella style outlets in de back. swears it's the best (he would, wouldn't he?) and an hour's runabout every couple of days would see the battery keep it's charge. Also rang the bloke at Federal Ryde who also said to take the ah rating with a pinch of salt. (They don't install) He said the 85 ah wet cell Century (Piranha) might be as good as the Fullriver 120 ah. In other words, don't take these ratings literally unless they've been around a while and have the track record. I'm torn between throwing the money at it (Piranha??) or taking the line that it's not life or death and most systems should do the job pretty well. Still, the less recharging the better.
AnswerID: 103061

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 13:41

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 13:41
Steve,

Anything from Pirahna is expensive. I have had my 100 amp Lifeline AGM tested on a Professional battery testing machine at Battery World and it shows a capacity of 105 amps.

As for removing your battery to make it portable, have a look at post 15195.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 360670

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 18:19
Jim looked at that/those posts. What I'll do is get a dual system under the bonnet and then add the one for the van later. btw, is your hot wire to trailer system in addition to dual car batteries? If so have you gone for the redarc, just out of interest? also looked at posts 21042. Jeez, not so much a can of worms as can of snakes. Didn't realise the Rotronics was so pricey. Makes the Piranha look reasonable.
AnswerID: 103105

Sponsored Links