Mt Augustus camping and to Karajini

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:51
ThreadID: 20923 Views:10246 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of questions:

1. Where's the best place to camp round Mt Augustus? I've heard of Mt Augustus caravan park/camp site and Cobra St.

2. Can I drive from Mt Augustus to Karajini directly? - with a camper trailer! The maps show a dotted road heading east then north but not sure what it's like. Directions please.

I look forward to your replies.

Regards,

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motherhen - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 00:11

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 00:11
Plenty of open space to camp (eg alongside streams, rocks) along the way to Mt A. When you get there, you pretty well have to stay at the caravan park (not exactly 5 star, considering the amount of international visitors they get these days i expected better).

Some asked similar question on your point two last year - hope a search will help you find it and the answers.
AnswerID: 100908

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 00:15

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 00:15
For camping around Mt Augustus you only have 2 choices, Mt Augustus CV/park and the Cobra Homestead. Both provide good facilities. You are not permitted to camp anywhere else within approx. 50 km of Mt A and Cobra, Aboriginal land and private property.
You can get to Karajini from Mt A. but it is not a direct road.
From Mt A. you head NE through Dooley Downs untill you get to the Ashburton dwns Rd. Then head NW trough Asburton Downs station and on to the Bitumen road to Paraburdoo and on to Karajini from there.
The Roads/Tracks are generally in good condition and no problems with a camper trailer

Cheers
AnswerID: 100909

Reply By: Tim HJ61 - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:23

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:23
Mike-TS,

My pick would be Cobra station for an overnight stay.

I drove Carnarvon to Kennedy Range campsite in a day and arrived Kennedy mid afternoon to set up camp. Trouble was it was well over 40 degrees in October and very unpleasant. "Next time" I go on to Cobra Station for the first night.

Next day we arrived at Cobra mid morning, then Mt Augustus by lunchtime - just in time to catch the fuel pump being open before siesta break. We took pictures of Mt Augustus and never stopped or went closer for a look - too damn hot.

To get to the Dooley Downs track you drive past the fuel bowsers at the back of the Mt Augustus 'resort' and follow the station tracks as described above. It's not immediately obvious which way to go and you have to drive around the stations work sheds and junk yard.

Quite interesting country as you weave through low hills, not high speed travel, okay for trailer I'd guess. No special campsites, although it was hot - did I mention that! and dry. Would be much better green and there would be plenty of stopping points at creek crossings.

Once you turn left onto the Ashburton Road, I'd expected to see more of the river, but it was too far away to be of any distraction from the heat. I turned right at Ashburton Downs station and reached the Nanaturra to Paraburdoo bitumen on dusk.

I'd promised the kids we'd try to get into air conditioning for the night so kept pushing on and took the short route to Tom Price. You save around 50kms I think but it was by far the roughest part of the days travel, and made all the worse by having been on the tracks for 12 hours by myself with two kids. The alternative is to stay on the bitumen and travel via Paraburdoo.

Tom Price Caravan Park looked okay in the dark but had no units or vans, so we paid $150 a night I think it was at the Karijini Lodge in Tom Price for airconditioning.

There are basic camp sites in Karijini Park but we didn't stay. We drove from Tom Price via Karijini and onto Newman for the night.

I WOULD do the trip again, but only in cooler weather and preferably when it's green. Would make a whole heap of difference. You don't need a 4WD, you DO need a strong vehicle with good clearance and reliable. It's pretty isolated out there. Roads can be hard on tyres, sharp stones and the locals advised me not to deflate to protect sidewalls.

Hope this helps.

Tim

AnswerID: 100916

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:31
What type of camper trailer?

I towed a jayco (not offroad) camper from Karijini to Milstream NP.

Filled it with dust, buggered the wiring for the brakes, sand blasted the chassis from all the rocks, and smashed a rear window on the patrol.

Beautifull, just f***in beautifull !!!

I would absolutely do the trip again, Karijini and Millstream are beautiful destinations.
AnswerID: 100989

Sponsored Links