100 litres of dirty diesel, very frustrating....

Submitted: Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:07
ThreadID: 20952 Views:2693 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Further to my post on Tuesday, my engine management light came on on my 4,2Tdi GU. Nissan Liverpool took a sample and found what they described as muddy water on the bottom and Vaselene on the top. So now both tanks have to be removed and chemically cleaned, fuel lines flushed and filters changed. An expensive job no doubt and i lose my vehicle till next Wednesday. Dissapointing and frustrating and as we all know, NO one will want to take responsibility for the damage bill thats likely to be ..... who knows!!! I will get a sample from Nissan and present it to BP and another to the distributor, Simpsons. Anyone ever been sucessfull in claiming on this sort of thing?? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:11

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:11
Michael,

Have heard of many successful ones they paid for the lot and you would not be the only one....

Was it a BP servo??
AnswerID: 101087

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:25

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:25
yep, BP we have and account and BP card so its ever only their fuel unless i have no other choice like out in the boonies,even then i tend to carry what i need to get to the next BP.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 359104

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:41

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:41
Hi Michael,

My Brother about 2 years back had an issue with his diesel freelander. Car just stopped in the street shortly after filling it up at an Ampol servo in Sydney. Got it back to dealer, and they found about 40L water in the tank!!!

Engine needed full rebuild, and injectors and pump too, was a $9000 job.
He went to the servo and complained, they got the refinery chemists to come and see his car and take fuel samples from it. They determined that the tanks at the servo filled with water as some idiot had taken the dips out and forgot to put the lid back on and it was raining heavily for a few days before he filled it up at that servo.
They subsequently paid in full for the repairs, and paid for a hire car for 3 weeks while his car was repaired with no fuss whatsoever.

Hope you experience the same level of professionalism from BP.
Cheers,
Wayne
AnswerID: 101089

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:19

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:19
Luckily i was still able to drive it to them, it was ok at low revs but idled a bit rough, I dont think in this case there will be any major damage. I think mainly the filter being blocked and crap in the tanks, hopefully will be the only problems.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 359112

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:47

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:47
Yep, i had a fairlane that copped a tank full of watery crud, only took a short while to kill the fuel pump , got a workshop to pull the tank etc, while i got on to the customer service dept and initiated a claim, had to speak to their insurance people etc. but as i had all the details of which pump and when and reciepts etc. it went fairly well. I had to sign a hush hush agreement re the payout, but suffice to say their logo is green..... Apparently someone stuck a hose into the fill point at the servo, or so they claimed.

Get onto their customer care line asap and get the wheels in motion.
AnswerID: 101106

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:57

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 13:57
Hi Michael,

I hope it all works out well for you and that one of the other parties plays ball in getting the issue resolved.

The one good point however is that your engine management system alerted you to soemthing being wrong.

I know these systems have their critics but if they are working correctly, they can help prevent serious damage. You have to wonder if you weren't alerted to something not being right, how far you might have gone and what damage could have been done.

Anyway I hope it all works out OK for you.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 101109

Reply By: Member - Rob J (WA) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 21:50

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 21:50
Hello Michael,
Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
While talking to a chap I know at my local Nissan dealers here in Busselton, he told me they had a Rodeo in the workshop( they're GMH dealers as well) that had picked up a tank of dirty diesel and stuffed the pump, $7000 to get the vehicle right and he didn't have a receipt for the rotten fuel. He also didn't have the 7 grand for the bill so apparently the vehicle was just sitting there.
Haven't heard the outcome.
Pays to either run an account or at least keep receipts.
Hopefully, you can get the companies involved to pay for their mistakes.
Best of luck
Rob
AnswerID: 101175

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 22:00

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 22:00
Sounds like a really good argument for using a fuel card. Mine is a leased vehicle and i fill up using Shellcard. But even for private users you can get a fuelcard account with Shell or Caltex etc.

Gives you a very good record of where and when you got fuel and will help support claims for dodgy fuel. Even credit card slips will provide some evidence. Harder to do if you just pay cash and maybe don't keep receipts.

As a side issue, what is peoples experience with using fuel cards in more isolated areas? Are there still a lot of places that are cash only???

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 101178

Follow Up By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:39

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:39
I use the caltex/Ampol Starcard up here in the MAckay Region.HAvent had any problems with out if the way places and There seems to be a good distribution of Stations.
Dysart only has a BP (I think...or is it Shell?) anyway it too accepts the caltex Starcard.
FollowupID: 359193

Reply By: Bloke - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:00

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:00
Micheal

I had a very similar experience about 4 months ago with my 8 month old TD Pajero. I filled up with 86 litres in my 90 litre tank at a local Metro service station and the engine started coughing and spluttering after about 2-3km. Luckily I wasn’t far from home and managed to limp home. The fuel was paid for on credit card and I also had a copy of the tax invoice for the purchase. The very first thing I did was call the service station and inform them of the problem and send off a fax the next day confirming the sequence of events and my telephone conversation.

After having the fuel tank flushed on 2 different within 2 days of the incident occasions by 2 separate mechanics the car still ran like a dog and I ended up taking it to the local Mitsubishi dealer to have the problem finally resolved. One moth and $9500 later - new fuel pump filters, remove tank from car and professionally cleaned etc etc the car is as good as new. During this period I constantly sent faxes off to the service station and their head office in Sydney informing them of the costs which were being incurred. The station and head office tried stonewalling me to the point where they denied ever receiving my faxes. At this point I blew up and threatened to go to the media and the Department of Fair Trading who it turns out have a specific hotline for reporting dirty fuel. At this point the fuel company started to come good and requested copies of invoices etc. After having seen their true colours I was reluctant to proceed any further with the service station and contacted my insurance company.

The insurance company AAMI were excellent and after providing them with a sample of the fuel they took over the repairs to my vehicle and paid the associated costs (apart form the cost of the tank of the dirty fuel, which I gladly paid for under the circumstances). Apparently if you can prove where you picked up the dirty fuel and have a sample it is all covered by insurance as technically it is damage to your vehicle by a third party. In retrospect I wish I had contacted the insurance company first and saved myself all of the hassle.

Good luck and I hope this has been of help.
AnswerID: 101195

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:51

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:51
Good point about the Insurance 'third party' aspect, hadn't thought of it that way.

Amazing how much red dust and krap can come out of a fuel filter when tipped out onto a saucer or piece of paper. They work.
FollowupID: 359198

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 14:25

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 14:25
Thanks guys for the feedback and the positive posts, i saw the sample of the fuel, if you could call it that, it looks like brown vinegar on the bottom and almost clear liquid on the top, A little to the aqua colour to be exact on top, it cant be just water because of the heavy rain over the last few weeks. Nothing i have ever seen looks that sinister. Anyway it will get fixed and someone else will pay but it turns you of a vehicle you feel totally comfortable with in regards to reliability. Thanks again everyone, i will keep you all posted about the vehicle and the eventual outcome. Best regards Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 101209

Sponsored Links