travelling through to northern territory

Submitted: Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 14:37
ThreadID: 20961 Views:2480 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone We are leaving (towing a boat) in june to do a trip from cairns normanton booroloola roper bar kakadu gurig national park. Would appreciate any information on must things to see and do and good fishing spots , we know we can't catch a lot but it is fun to catch and release them. Any places to free camp as we are doing it on a budget . We have 10 weeks all up
Thanks Boshie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzy - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 14:43

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 14:43
boshie
place called "shady camp" think from memory its on mary river
great fishing from the barrage there
AnswerID: 101123

Follow Up By: jenkie - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:28

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:28
Just watchout for the crocs. Saw some longer than our 12ft tinnie there when we went in 1990. We were really concerned putting the tinnie in the water as it was a car topper and putting the motor on etc. Went down at night in car with a 100w hand held spot light and counted a large number of red eyes well into double figures plus some more and they were only the ones facing us. Needless to say we thanked our lucky stars we camped a long long way away from the river.Caught our first barra there on our trip but would have liked to have caught one the size of the one the croc had on the bank. Everytime we trolled up or down and got close to him he would go back in the river with his catch and when we passed he would came back out again.
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 359150

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:23

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:23
Jenkie ,

I counted 21 sets of eyes one night with a spot at the Shady Camp ramp . Only nuts fish from the barrage , but they can fish either side of it in their tinnie .

Boshie ,

Good Places to fish in that area close to Darwin are Shady Camp , Rockhole and Corroberee Billabongs - although they get a flogging from the Darwin based fishing guides and their customers , there are still plenty of barra there.

These Billabongs are a good place to learn to barra fish - a bit easier than starting off in the big tides of the South Alligator , East Alligator or Daly Rivers .

If you contact the NT govt tourism dept they will send you a map entitled "Northern Territory Fishing Map" . This is a great source of info to first timers .

Willie .
FollowupID: 359229

Follow Up By: jenkie - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:28

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:28
We probably counted more my memories thinks it was about 50 eyes or so but I didnt want to frighten anyone. Have heard of someone fishing there in a boat with the fish in the back of the boat. Left boat to walk up to get his car and trailer and turned back to see the boat standing upright with the croc in the boat getting the fish. Close by on the riverbank was a lady with a smallist child stanndding really cose to the river. Lucky it was the fish in the boat and not a child the croc had his eye on. Still a great place you just have to have a lot of common sense. People that were fishing there when we were at the spot used to carry a hand held uhf in the boat and when he came in from fishing at dusk which was one of the best times of the day his called his missus who then came down to the ramp with the car and large spot lights showing the way in and where not to get out of the boat.
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 359243

Follow Up By: boshie - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:25

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:25
Hey Willie we're professional fisher people . Our holidays are only fishing places If we can't fish we are not on holidays. But I want to catch a BIG barra & release of course. Just for the Skite wall.
The sight seeing part of the trip is too appease the people traveling with us.!!
Croc's at shady camp are abit worrying but as long as your sensible nothing should happen.
Big Barra's are what we are chasing!! for fun.

Boshie
FollowupID: 359347

Reply By: lizard - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:22

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:22
Kangaroo Creek just West of Wollogorang looked like a nice spot , get your fuel at Hells Gate before you get to Wollogorang ...... we camped at Gurig & weren't impressed due to mossies (and like you a lack of fish) , is pretty country across the Gulf Track . Overnight at Mary river roadhouse is worth a look too - cheap enough & a hot shower & good food coming out of Gurig is worth it .
Enjoy the trip , cheers
AnswerID: 101148

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:01

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:01
I know what you mean about fuel.I decided that $1.30 was to dear and we'd get it at Wollogorang,wrong now had to pay $1.60 lt.Peeved off or what.(2003)
FollowupID: 359163

Follow Up By: boshie - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:04

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:04
I had been told not to stop at wollogorang by others Not just the fuel prices either. Kangaroo Creek was that a nice place to camp for the night or can you go fishing there? was it very far past wollogorang? Half an hour or more.? We had heard the drive over to gurig is really nice? But at Gurig I thought the scenery from a boat ( the coast line would be spectactular) Did you go to the Victoria settlement ruins?
We are wondering if there is a boat ramp or do you put your boat in from the beach. What is the beach in front of the camps like?
Boshie

FollowupID: 359346

Follow Up By: lizard - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:09

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:09
Kangaroo creek was about an hour West of Wollogorang (I think) - a nice overnight dtop - creek looked good enough for some fish - didn't try . We had the stockmans meal at Wollogorang - was okay - and that is not a bad place to stay .....
The drive to Gurig was pretty slow - lots of slow bends & small ridges , nice scenery as you travel along the escarpment after crossing East Alligator river - but then a bit boring till near Gurig . We didn't have a boat - but there are a couple of boat ramps you can put in .... The beaches are nice - we had our gas barbecue down there (to get away from mossies) ... only a couple of places you are allowed to park at the beach (off limits !!)
We didn't do Victoria Settlement - we have seen many ruins over the years - and paying another $90 each to go over (on top of the ~$240 camping fee) was a little steep we thought . In hindsight I would have preferred the week we spent there at another place instead .... .
FollowupID: 359395

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:42

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:42
Don't miss Adele's Grove or Lawn Hill for an oasis in the dust.
It's about 120 km off your route but it's a surprising place. Not fishing places but unexpected and serene.
AnswerID: 101149

Follow Up By: boshie - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:28

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:28
Been to Lawn hill It was the best place after travelling the dusty roads.
But it will proberly be a stopover place on our way back home. So we can cool off & relax . before heading back to work What a dirty word

Boshie
FollowupID: 359349

Reply By: The Rambler - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 23:28

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 23:28
Boshie,
First Ithink that 10 weeks is far too short for that trip but having gone through there last year I will try to help with a few spots.Presumably you will be going through Chillago and you will find bush camping on most of the river crossings to Normanton--be carefull on that road--hard on tyres and bulldust holes.Go into Normanton and I reccomend the Sunset C.Park with a boat ramp next door and good fishing.Just afteer Burketown drop into Escott for a coldy and relax.From Burketown to Borroloola detour to Lawn Hill (doubt you will have the time).From Borroloola you should visit King Ash with good fishing with a dinghy.Between Borroloola and Roper Bar there is Limmen Bight Fishing Camp also a good fishing spot.From there is a nice camp spot at Town River -fishing as well.Then another good camp spot is at St.Vidgeon Ruins on a lovely lagoon where you can use your boat.At Roper Bar there is a nice Caravan Park on the Roper River --also good fishing.From Roper to Mataranka you may want to visit Elsie Nat. Park also on the Roper R.In Kakadu I can reccomend Koolpin Gorge,Twin Falls,Yellow Water,Two Mile and Four mile hole (good fishing),Shady camp, and Pt.Stewart.As far as Gurig goes Ileft there before my permit expired--too many regulations and diissapointing fishig.
So as you see thats it in a nut shell and you can see why I think 10 weeks is not nearly enough.Good luck and safe travel.
AnswerID: 101184

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:14

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:14
Hi Rambler,
Just wondering if these places are accesible to a 2wd vehicle.

Cheers
FollowupID: 359201

Follow Up By: boshie - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:51

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:51
Thanks Rambler

We had loked at all those places but as you say I think we will run out of time. What do you mean about the fishing at gurig being dissapointing & what regulations> I have been talking to the rangers & they have not said anything. So 1 week was too long there? Do you put your boat in off the beach or is there a boat ramp? How far off the camping spot is the beach? Everything I have read has sounded so good about it
Boshie
FollowupID: 359344

Reply By: The Rambler - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:48

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:48
Craig,
Having looked at your rig pic. I would say that most of that trip could be done in 2 w.d. with abit more care but I would not reccomend travelling the Chillagoe to Normanton road--use the road throgh Georgetown and Croydon instead.Having said that remember that there are some shallow river and creek crossings so only can be done in June ,July,Aug.I have seen 20 ft. vans pulled slowly across there so that will give you an idea but remember YOU have to be comfortable with your rigs capabilities.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 101208

Reply By: The Rambler - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 23:25

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 23:25
Boshie,
At Gurig there are 2 campsites (not very far apart) and the beach in front of these sites is not ideal for launching a dinghy as it is the windy side.Boat launching is done back at the beach near the rangers camp( about 10 mins.) and most people head down towards the creek as it is more sheltered.While we were there in Aug. Ihave yet to see a decent catch of fish from any boat.The fishing off the jetty was also closedto the public as well as numerous tracks to other beach spots.When you get there you will find that you are limited to where you can go and as far as I am conscerned my time can be spent much better elsewhere.This is not only my experience as all in the camp left before thier time.Remember there is also a 5hr.+drive to get there on fairly bad coorrugations.Good luck!
AnswerID: 101522

Follow Up By: boshie - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 13:18

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 13:18
THANKS RAMBLER
YOU HAVE MADE US THINK AGAIN ABOUT GOING OVER TO GURIG
WE THOUGHT THE FISHING WOULD BE BRILLANT & SEEING THE COAST LINE BY BOAT WOULD BE EXCELLENT BUT AS EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE OF THE SAME LINE THAT THEY WOULD RATHER HAVE SPENT THE TIME ESLEWHERE I THINK I'LL TALK TO THE REST OF THE GROUP & SEE WHAT HAPPENS

BOSHIE
FollowupID: 359463

Sponsored Links