Recovery point on Challenger

Submitted: Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:17
ThreadID: 20963 Views:6748 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was told recently that the hooks fitted to the Challenger in the factory are actually rated as recovery points. The guy who said that to me also said it was the case for the Pajeros. My impression was that all cars get similar hooks but that are only good to secure the car while it is trasported by boat or truck. I never understood why the manufacturers would not fit 4wds with the proper gear in the first place anyway.
So is it true or not: Are the factory hooks fitted on the Challenger and Pajero good for recovery? If it is are those points good for winching and also snatch straps?
Thanks,

Sly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:39

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:39
This is my recollection:

About 12 months ago, Mitsubishi in South Australia did some testing on the monocoque Pajero recovery points and released a statement saying they were suitable for snatch recovery, and the chassis wouldn't suffer damage. Might be worth contactig their customer relations people for confirmation.

It doesn't mean that they are stronger or weaker than anyone elses - just means that Mitsubishi had the guts to come out and say it.
AnswerID: 101132

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:43

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:43
Thanks Phil,

I am more interested in the Challenger since I own one but I fired an e-mail to Mitsubishi to find out for sure. I'll post the answer when I get it.
I've seen photos of what damage could be done when using non rated points for snatching and it is not something I want to experience. that's why I got proper points fitted anyway but if the original ones are OK as well that just gives me more options when I'll get stuck.
FollowupID: 359135

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:03

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:03
Hi sly,
I've looked at the welds on the recovery point at the front of the Challa and thought I could improve on them, so I will be interested in your reply from Mitsi.
Cheers,
camper
AnswerID: 101162

Reply By: kimprado - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:12

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:12
Hi
My recollection of the Challenger (when I owned one) was they are shipping tie down points and nothing else.

Have a talk to outbackideas@three.com.au They used my 120 Prado as test bed for recovery points and, are bullit proof.

Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 101237

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 14:58

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 14:58
Thanks Kim,

I contacted outbackideas but they can't help. However they don't think they are rated. Apparently no other manufacterer put rated points so it would be surprising. Same reason that made me ask in fact.

Sly.
FollowupID: 359470

Reply By: kimprado - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:05

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:05
Hi Sly,
This surprises me a bit, because the guy has come up with some innovative products recently. It could have something to do with the relative slow take up of the Challenger (sales).
You might find that your local ARB or TJM dealing will make something up for you.
Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 101600

Sponsored Links