100 series viscous coupling damage

Submitted: Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:22
ThreadID: 20964 Views:2349 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Put the cruiser in for 70k service , tell the guy I had noticed a piece ofthe fan blade was missing about 40mm .Get phone call in afternoon viscous coupling is the problem fan has hit the shroud snapping piece off. But fan or piece has damaged radiator needs new radiator as well all under warranty no prob's.
Yeah right new radiator must come from japan!!! and will take at least 2weeks to get here.So that just about wipes out ower Easter trip away buggar!!!
But at least it didn't happen after warranty had run out and up north.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:50

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:50
G'day Col,

Any idea what caused this? Would not have thought there was that much movement in the fan to cause it to hit the radiator. So I take it that apart from the service pick up there were no signs of overheating, leaking or the like?

Kind regards
AnswerID: 101133

Follow Up By: Col (wa) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:26

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:26
Hi Beatit,

you are right I tested fan when i found piece missing not much play at all and car drove fine no overheating prob's no coolant loss . Have heard deep water crossings without a blind on the front have dragged the fan into the radiator,but we haven't been through any deep water.
I'm going to toyota to get some things out of the car will have a look and ask them what they think caused it

Col
FollowupID: 359133

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:39

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:39
G'day Cal,

I was just wondering how long it might have been there and am impressed with their readiness swap the radiator at their instigation when obviously it is not causing a problem in the car performance. You would have to have a lot of flex in the blades, I would think, for it to hit the radiator.

Interested in their final verdict.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 359134

Reply By: Col (wa) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 21:15

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 21:15
Hi all,

Went to look at damage but coupling and radiator had been sent to Toyota for warranty claim (ok). Fan was still there had more fan blade missing than I thought over half missing also inside of shroud was white from coolant loss no damage to shroud that I could see.Service guy was at a loss as to what happend said he had never seen this before(ok)
Turns out radiator was numbered wrongly and surprise surprise one has turned up and car is ready to be picked up .
Am very happy Toyota replaced every thing with new parts but am a little perplexed(big word for a Friday) as to thier not having an explanation other than the viscous coupling bleep it self. Why did the fan spit a blade?
Car is back wife is happy so Easter trip is still a go .

Col
AnswerID: 101171

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 22:52

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 22:52
Hi Col
I have heard of this problem b4, usually when the 100's are taken to the cape and through deep water...is it the v8 or t/d???? Apparently there is very little room between the rad and fan.
Andrew
AnswerID: 101181

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 16:04

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 16:04
Col
I am aware that this has happened before in the 100series. If you do a water crossing when the engine is hot (viscous coupling engaged and fan turning) the bottom blade propellors in the water and thwacks into the soft aluminium radiator. I imagine that if you keep going, the fan is then out of balance and will damage its bearing/viscous coupling (that might be arrant BS but might explain the damage).
AnswerID: 101220

Follow Up By: Col (wa) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:27

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:27
Dozer & Bob,
The cruiser is a 02 t/d and have not been though any water crossings since last july and they where only about bumper hieght.
Will definatly use a blind on anything deeper, don't want to have same problem again. Thanks for your input guys

Col
FollowupID: 359230

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:42

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:42
Col
that may have been deep enough. As long as the bottom of the fan hit the water you have a problem. I am yet to be convinced that a blind will solve the problem as the water only has to run around the back of the blind to the fan blades. Look behind the car during a water crossing to see how effective a blind will be. Like the transom on a slow moving boat, the water is only a few inches lower than the height of water elsewhere.
FollowupID: 359244

Sponsored Links