Jackaroo rough idle

Submitted: Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 21:57
ThreadID: 20967 Views:4672 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have had the usual Jackeroo diesel engine issues. My Jackeroo Diesel Auto 2001 developed a rough idle. Whent through the injector seal and sleeve issue twice - first time done badly by Holden resulted in diesel getting in the sump oil. Job re done at another Holden dealer and fixed. Rough idle still there. More trips to Holden eventually found inlet manifold with alot of carbon sludge. Had the manifold cleaned by Holden, carbon deposits very hard to remove, and inlet ports and valves claimed to have been cleaned using de carbonising fluid! Idle a little better - still anoying though. Tech 2 checked out OK. Holden unable or unwilling to say where the carbon came from. I suspect it was from the time diesel got into the sump oil.
Any ideas about the cause of the heavy carbon deposits and any suggestions for the next step?
Jackaroo now out of warrenty!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:23

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:23
JEM

Have a look at the below URL , it may provide a clue or two.

http://www.penrite.com.au/techbulletins/14_15_JACKAROO_LISTING_&_LANDROVERTD5.pdf?PHPSESSID=7ba84c7a4cff3a4fe9922291c9f39eb9
AnswerID: 101204

Reply By: JEM - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 14:31

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 14:31
Thanks for the tip Lucy,
I am using Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5w-30.

I have checked things out further myself and found the engine breather is blowing blue smoke. This appears to be the source of oil getting in the inlet manifold. I found oil in the turbo inlet duct starting at the breather connection, the inlet of the trubo, the internal surfaces of the intercooler are wet with oil, the manifold throttle valve body is wet with oil. Clearly when the oil comes in contact with the hot exhaust gases via the EGR valve it bakes hard in the inlet manifold and inlet ports.
The engine has never been overfilled with oil.
What is the cause of this problem? - my view is that when a poor job was done on the the injector seals diesel leakage into the lub oil caused lub failure that has now resulted in combustion gas blow- pass. Engine replacement or rebuild appears the only course now- the engine has only done 80,000km!
Things are looking a bit bleak at the moment - any comments please.
AnswerID: 101576

Follow Up By: Turbos - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 17:34

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 17:34
Gooday, I have experienced some the problems you mentioned, however before i go into details I have yet to solve them. When I disconnected my engine breather(hose from rocker cover to air filter tubing) I noticed smoke also. I too have had my inlet manifold cleaned of sludge, but the intercooler seems ok? I have also found oil in the turbo inlet duct. I have had a constant problem of smoke on start up which is caused by a stuffed glowplug in the number 1 cylinder. Currently my jackaroo revs up when i downgear and when I put the clutch in when approaching a stop. I want to drive my Jackaroo of a cliff at the moment.........preferably with my ex-girlfriend driving!!!
FollowupID: 359490

Reply By: JEM - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:12

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:12
Hi Turbos
I think that there should not be enough oil getting into the manifold to cause a major build up of hard carbon. If that were the case just think of all the turbo diesel trucks etc that would be in for cleaning!

I don't get any blue smoke from the tail pipe - all seems OK.

What is the idle like on your Jackaroo when hot?

My engine swings is all over the place.

JEM
AnswerID: 101602

Follow Up By: Turbos - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:14

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:14
The idle on my Jackaroo when hot is smooth but about 150 revs higher than usual at the moment. It's going to United Fuel Injection (Redcliff - Perth) tomorrow to get a diagnostic check. I'll ask them about the sludge build up again and see what they say. I'll submit a post when I get the car back and let the jackaroo owners know what went wrong. The problem I am experiencing seems unique at the moment, but hopefully I find out what it is (and not to pricey!!)

Cheers.
FollowupID: 359583

Sponsored Links