Reference for trip around Australia

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 23:12
ThreadID: 20989 Views:2586 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - our family is planning a trip around Australia during 2007 - Patrol plus off road camper trailer.

Can anyone suggest a good book to buy that would help us determine our route.

We will have time constraints on the trip (why does work have to get in the way!!) - so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 00:18

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 00:18
What did you have in mind? and how long?
AnswerID: 101278

Follow Up By: Alan Atchison - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 02:15

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 02:15
I wanted to concentrate on WA, NT and top of Qld - but open to ideas. Me, my wife and our two kids - who will be then be 10 and 8. We will be travelling with another family (with 3 kids) - and thought there must be some form of book with suggestions or similar available to help us pull together an initial plan.

I know we could go forever and still not see everything. Timeframe realistically - 4 - 6 months.

Thanks
FollowupID: 359254

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 06:12

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 06:12
Alan,
there are two books that will give you plenty of basic information: Discover Australia 4WD edited by Ron and Viv Moon (Random House), and Explore Australia 2004, 2005 etc. The latter is an encyclopaedia of towns and places. The former covers the major treks.
The other useful thing to have is a large map of Oz on which you can pencil in a proposed route.
When you start to firm up on your itinerary you can ask specific questions on this site, and the trek notes are invaluable.
Basically you will just have to wing it, but after 4 to 6 months you'll be able to write the book!
AnswerID: 101284

Reply By: Lyds - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:34

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:34
Alan,

Check out the trip planning section on this web site

Do a google on "kimberley 4wd tours" or similar, a lot of companies put up fairly detailed trip itineries and at least point you in the right direction.

Visit Great Divide Tours. Vic Widman has notes on an "Australia Twice Traversed" trip he did. He also offers a trip planning service which has detailed info customised for where you want to go and for not too many $ for what you get.
AnswerID: 101285

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:37

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:37
I recomend three books all available from this site,
They are.
Priceless camping in the nth of Western Australia.
Priceless camping in the South of Western Australia
Priceless Camping in the Northern Territory.

I have found these books a wealth of information, each site has a description that shows if you need a 4wd to get there, the lats and longs plus a description of things to do.
At around $20 per book great value as they will save you hundreds of $ in camp fees etc.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 101293

Reply By: ev700 - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:27

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:27
Alan
If travelling with a family always be prepared to compromise on distance travelled to ensure that all family members have enough relaxing time to enjoy the trip.

There is no better way to put the family off travelling than to hurry the trip.

What about posting some basic partciulars of your family, where you'd like to go, time of the year and time available? I'm sure there are many men and women on this site who have done it before and would make helpful suggestions.

I'd add Collyn Rivers to the list of authors - just read a useful A4 bound booklet of his.

There are some videotapes on 4X4 and Australia travel. Some are available from libraries. Maybe some forumites can suggest titles. Jack Absolom produced some.

EV700
AnswerID: 101308

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:37

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:37
Ole Jack produced a few bloopers, such as filling up the spare to extra high psi as an air reservoir. Great for 2 ply car tyres. Has some OK stuff too!
Greatest resource may well be other fellow travellers coming the opposite way who canrelate their experiences & what to see.
AnswerID: 101394

Sponsored Links