Doing a clutch job on Nissan ST RB3O

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:28
ThreadID: 20991 Views:1511 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there memebers i got some info last august from a few members including Austravel and the advice was to be careful when extracting the gear lever in case a ball bearing drops into the gearbox, could someone give me some detailed instructions on how to avoid this catastrophe.
Cheers Don murray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:58

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:58
gday don.
if your doing the clutch its soooooo much easier to pull the engine out.
while your at it you can also replace the broken exhaust manifold studs in the head.
cheers
AnswerID: 101344

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:23

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:23
Hi Don,
Do you have a gregory's manual it spells it out clearly, the mechanic I had do it didn't read it. From memory you need to remove a wiring harness on the side of the gear box. If you undo the bolt that holds the wiring harness on a spring comes out and ball bearing that goes into the gear shift indent drops into the box. Let me know if you don't have a manual and I'll try and find my old one and copy it for you.
AnswerID: 101608

Follow Up By: Don Murray - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 21:41

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 21:41
Hi Austravel, thanks for your reply, i do have the manual but i find the terminology a bit tricky some times, on page 149 it mentions using a magnet to extract the ball when taking out the gear lever. I could not see any reference to the problem when taking the wiring box off. I find the detail a bit insufficient in the manaul. One other member is really in favour of pulling the engine out, i don't mind which.
ps in the manual it tells you to take off the tranfer box first, is that just to reduce the weight of the unit ???
Cheers Don
FollowupID: 359513

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:23

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:23
Hi Don,

Removing the transfer case if just to remove weight. I can't see how it will be any easier to remove the engine as opposed to the gearbox. I know the box is heavy but nothing like the 4.2l boxes. You'll need a couple of blokes and you should use a floor jack or if on ramps use something to take the weight. The mechanic that did mine had two blokes lift it out but said it was damn heavy. I'm pretty sure that in my manual it tells you how and why to remove the ball, think it was either bold or in different italics or in a section on it's own. Will check tonight. You'll probably need to get the fly wheel machined mine only cost $50.
AnswerID: 101693

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 14:10

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 14:10
Hi Don,

Page 150 point 3 under to dismantle gives more info. From memory it's either the bolt that holds the wiring harness or the one beside it.
AnswerID: 101932

Sponsored Links