New GU Patrol, range of questions...

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:08
ThreadID: 20994 Views:3767 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm about to take delivery of a new GU 3.0 diesel patrol, and I've got a few questions that some one may be able to help out with.

I'm trading up from '90 GQ (petrol). I'm going to book both cars into the local ARB (Darwin) and get them to transfer a couple of things across (roof rack, air compressor and have a duel battery system installed)

First, is there any other little things I should think about getting done while I've got it in at ARB? For example are the standard recovery points on the GU sufficient?

I'm getting an extra powerpoint added to the rear. ARB told me that the rear cigarette lighter socket is only on with the ignition and that the wiring isn't good enough for a fridge, and have recommended a hella socket.

I'm thinking of getting a roof console added as there doesn't appear to be any good spot for a CB on the dash (and I'd like to get a HF radio as well). Or is there an easy radio mounting spot I've not noticed.

Finally tyres...

I'm going to do the GRR, Mitchell Plat, Broome and Bungle Bungles over the easter period. I'm concerned about the 17in wheels and the apprent difficulty in getting spares.

My rolls-royce solution is to buy 6 steel rims, and 6 tyres, and change tyres from the stock tyres to the steel rims when planning on 4wding. Obviously that isn't cheap. Would I be better off just buying an extra 17in tyre and carrying it, and just swaping rims if I get a damaged tyre. I am concerned about alloy rims, which is what lead me to think about buying 6 steel rims.

Or should I just trade in the alloy rims and leave the steel rims permenantly on the vehicle. I am thinking that the advantage of having two sets of wheels is that I could get a more aggressive off road tyre for the steel rims, and still keep a smoother quieter ride for around town.

Looking for some thoughts!
TIA
Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:19

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:19
The front hook on my 2003 GU is rated for snatching, i assume yours is the same. Ask ARB, wouldn't hurt to put a second one on anyway IMO. I've got a remote head UHF fitted just under the heater controls with the main unit hidden away under the steering column.
AnswerID: 101302

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:16

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:16
Hi Dog (NT),

Congrats on a new vehicle, always nice to kit them out how you want. Now for your questions:

1. front recovery hook - we have had one pull straight in severe snatch applications. So, while OK for say beach work, get really stuck in mud and you could be in trouble. Having said that, I still have the original Nissan hook!

2. I have fitted rear power outlets (2003 had none) that are powered frpm my 2nd battery, a good move IMHO. I use the Engels socket but also have a standard cigarette socket as many assecories (hand spottie, mattress air pump) utilsie these. I would put a 2nd Hella socket in rather than remove the cig socket.

3. I have a roof console that has my HF, UHF and DVD player. Not much dash space and I am rapt in my roof console, way to go IMHO.

4. My 16" alloy rims are proving to be fine. I have one with a decent scrape on the side (but still round) where a steel sunraysia rim suffered a decent bend on the same rock. Initially i was considering steel rims but after that am very happy with them.

5. I swapped my tyres for 285/75 Coopers ST after picking up my Nissan before I even got home. I do not like the P rated (Passenger) tyres standard and wanted LT (light truck), plus wanted to go up a size.

I am very happy with my mods (click on rig pic below for complete list) and hopefully will give you some food for thought

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 101307

Reply By: paulpp - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:43

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:43
Congrats. Mine is about two weeks away.

Tyres and wheels

After much thought and research I did a swap deal with the dealer and swapped out the new 17 inch alloys and tyres for 16 inch steel wheels fitted with 275.70/16 BFG AT's (Tyres are my choice).

Reasoning

1. choice of 17 inch tyres is currently very limited and they are much more expensive than the equivelant 16 in tyre.
2. Genuine 17 inch Nissan alloy wheels are very very expensive.
3. Little or no gearing change by going with the 275.70/16
4. 17 inch steel wheels are currently not readily available.
5. I needed to stud/wheel/tyre match my camper trailer
6. There is no legality or technical issues with fitting 16 inch rims to the current model Nissan ST /S/L as they are fitted to the DX model in various forms (except possibly with the Ti there may be a technical issue).

So I did a swap deal for 8 steel wheels and BFG AT tyres with the dealer.

Note:- If you go to a 285 or 305 the spare will have rear body and bumber bar clearance problems and you will need a spacer or replacement Kaymar rear spare holder door bracket.

If you do not currently have a UHF CB I think there is a DIN sized blank in the dash. The GME 4400 are DIN sized if my memory serves me correctly.

Nissan Snorkel - check the sealing around the air box and have a look inside the air box for a drain hole.

Diff and transmissions breathers all up high?

If the initial gearbox notchiness does not improve or just to get a smoother change try full synthetic oil in the gearbox. Also fixes the hard/impossible to get second gear on cold Toyota gearboxes.

If not already a member try this group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD/

My thoughts

Regards

Paul P
AnswerID: 101310

Reply By: Member - Fred - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 13:30

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 13:30
Does the tyre placard on the vehicle allow you to go to 16 inch wheels?
Thought I saw one that only listed 17 inch
AnswerID: 101316

Reply By: rudu - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 15:07

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 15:07
Our Nissan GU II has a ARB dual battery set up.
We have a smart solonoid changeover system which we had to change from automatic to manual changeover due to the fact that the solonoid does not work when the battery has less than 3 volts.
Beware of changing rim and tyre sizes because it will change your gearing in your car and towing performance.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 101321

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 19:03

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 19:03
Rudu, Is 3 volts correct, is that what you are saying???? If you are running your batteries down to 3 volts, you will only be doing that a few times and you will be replacing them. Wet cell batteries hate that and will fail very quickly. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 359287

Reply By: DeanoNSW - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:37

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:37
Agree with the advice re tyres. I only got 40000 out of the standard set of tyres. Bridgstone AT. They were terrible compared to the older Bridgestone AT that I had on my MQ. Get rid of them ASAP as they will puncture at the slightest opportunity.

Check out the Dept of the Interior in Sydney (Carlton - Princes Hwy) for roof console. They will ship to Darwin. Fantastic job and will make you what you ask for.

The standard recovery point has been ok for me. ARB will only relieve you of your dollars for something you prob don't need.
AnswerID: 101330

Reply By: charlies - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:56

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:56
What a machine, sounds great!
Not sure the roof rack is interchangeable?
I have run an 8mm cable to rear with heaps of outlets. (Fridge, AA-battery charger, lights etc etc)
Setting up is the best part. Well almost

Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 101342

Reply By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 18:54

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 18:54
hi dog
just for the record i think as follows
17 inch wheel sucks so swap them if you can
i use std 16 inch steel wheels with bfg all terrains on my somewhat older gu td 3.0 L - i wont risk alloy but the steel wheels are bl**dy heavy to change a wheel

give it 5 to 10 K and then maybe go get a dtronic fitted but DONT tell nissan or the dealer or warranty will defintely become an issue - but my mate who has one will tell you man what a hell of a difference it makes

an arb FRONT air locker is worth its weight in gold in the sand if you tow a ct

and yes do get a decent wire to the rear aux 12 v plug - min 6 mm wire but 8 mm better - mine has two 8 mm wires and two engel connectors fitted best damn connectors ever as you plug in and then screw them up - yes cost a few bob but worth every cent as cant come undone

apart from that you seem to have it covered
roof console good, dual batts good
good luck

AnswerID: 101350

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:31

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:31
Make sure the rear frig wire is properly fused close to the battery too!
AnswerID: 101391

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:59

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:59
Just on your roof rack - I was told by the guy who built mine that the roof of the GU is narrower than the GQ - if your current one has adjustable feet then you will probably be OK - if not a little re-work is required.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 101435

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:49

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:49
Hi,

I've got an ARB roof rack (cage type) the legs appear to adjust in and out for width, and when I spoke to ARB they didn't mention that it would be a problem moving it over.

Dog
FollowupID: 359399

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:47

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:47
My UHF is mounted on the rear of the centre console in my GU. The mic runs up through the hand brake hole, and the speaker is mounted between the gear lever and the dash. If you look in the window of the car, you can't see the UHF, so a good security thing as well.

You will need a spike protected isolater for the batteries, but ARB should know that.

The rear springs aren't much to write home about, I had mine replaced with a 1.5 inch lift, and heavier shocks in the front. It handles much better now, and when its got a bit of a load on the back, it rides level.

Keep the 17" alloys. Put em in the shed and put em back on it when you sell it. They'll be brand new, and will make the car easier to sell. If you need a tyre OR a rim when you out on holidays, getting a 16" steel rim or tyre will be easier than trying to find 17" ones.

And lastly, definately get a snorkel fitted, and put a pre cleaner "sock" in it.

Cheers,

Muzz

AnswerID: 101535

Sponsored Links