buying a surf

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2101 Views:1524 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I am buying a 1993 ssr-x limited 3.0 ltr surf.

Should I get a 3 year extende warranty from the dealer? it's only $400 so i guess it's probably wirth it.

what about parts? are they easy to get?

before i buy the car i would like to get it checked out by a mechanic. do u know any good ones in melbourne areas which carry out this type of checks. so far i know that racv and vacc carry them out. which one is better? the dealer offered to take the car to vacc for me (since i cant do it myself on weekdays). should i trust him?

also, the car has never been registered in aus and has done 50k. is this an accurate reading or should i suspect it?

also, if you have any other information such as what i should look out for when getting one, etc please let me know.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: G.T. - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00
Tom-- it looks like you are buying an imported vehicle direct from Japan.
If so, be very careful, as many vehicles can possibly have their speedo`s wound back. This was the case in N.Z. until recenly, until verification of the speedo reading could be made through the vehicle`s service history.
The vehicle you are looking at is now nine years old, and with only 50.000 k, I would be dubious, as it has only averaged approx 5,500k per year. this seems to me a very low km. travelled for it`s age.
Get an independant mechanic to check it out, also see if you can get it`s service record thru Toyota Japan, you will have to quote the chassis no. to do this.
In my opnion, the dealer should pay for the 3 year warranty, not you, as you will have to pay for all the service checks to keep the warranty valid for the 3 years.
Many people in N.Z. got caught with imported Japanese vehicles, I had one when I was living there, always suspected that it had the speedo wound back, but the facility of checking the distance travelled was not available then, so could not prove any thing one way or the other.
Perhaps you could talk to your local Toyota Dealer for advice re getting it`s speedo reading verified.

Regards Graham Taylor.
AnswerID: 7201

Reply By: Greg - Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 06, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Tom,
I actually own a '93 SSRX 3lt Manual Surf bought Last year July 2001 and have found it BRILLIANT. Very good value for money. Parts are carried by many Toyota dealers and 4WD Wreckers if you want to DIY. Note that Toyota Aust. has recently introduced this same engine into the Prado.
I went for the extended warranty but never followed through with the 10,000k servicing.
We bought ours with 65,000km and have just clocked over 120,000 with NOT A DRAMA.
Great vehicle with plenty of guts for towing if required. The only drawback I've found is a relatively short range tank but an after-market unit is on the agenda.
They are a great value vehicle with all the creature comforts as standard.
My advice is get it checked by your mechanic as RACV test is generally more a roadworthiness test. If it comes up trumps then do the deal. You won't be disappointed
Happy 4WDing
AnswerID: 7206

Sponsored Links