Warning for 80 Series petrol owners

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 14:52
ThreadID: 21022 Views:4748 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I was replacing the plugs on the weekend and to do so one has to remove the lump of rubber hose between the air cleaner and the motor. That's when I noticed that the hose had a large crack in it, along one of the "folds". Just rang the closest Toyota spare parts and it's $155. Anyone know where to source them cheaper in Brisbane?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:00

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:00
I meant to add that unless you remove the hose, or at least undo the air cleaner cover and lift it up, you'd never spot the crack because it was on the underside.
AnswerID: 101447

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:01

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:01
I would've thought a piece of bendable heater hose would do the trick for a few bucks less than $155-!!!

Good luck


AnswerID: 101460

Follow Up By: Moose - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:07

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:07
Maybe off a Mack truck - it's about 10cm diameter! But it may be worth following up. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered large machinery hoses.
FollowupID: 359381

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 18:00
I had a cracked vacuum hose in a Nissan once. I went to a Dealer to buy another one and they said to just go and get a heater hose from SuperCheap that has similar bends and cut it to length.

Worked well and cost about $10.

Was a little smaller than 10cm though.
FollowupID: 359384

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:35
Sorry Moose,

I mis-understood what you meant....thought you were referring to the PCV hose that goes to the rocker cover; but obviously you meant the air intake hose to the inlet manifold/carbie etc.

You should still be able to get a piece of concertina (bendable) hose in that diameter.

FollowupID: 359397

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:13
you could get some 4 inch rubber sections from an industrial hose supplier or truck spares place, angles / hump hose / clamps etc and a piece of pipe and make it up but it will come to the same sort of price as an original

its not actually that bad a price for a unique part
AnswerID: 101463

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:54

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:54
Hi Moose,

Very hard to come by. Try wreckers but you will have little luck with them also. Problem is most 80 Series petrol vehicles were converted to LPG, so the hoses were cut up to fit in the LPG parts.

Recently I removed my LPG system and reverted back to full petrol, I was sitting down when I rang Toyota, but when I found out they couldn't even give me a price on the joiner in the middle of the hose, I knew I was in trouble. I have been advised to check out Godfrey's the vacuum cleaner people, as they should have something to assist. Currently I have a piece of PVC pipe gaffer taped both ends to fill the gap....nasty but it works. You could also slip some PVC over the crack and gaffer tape both ends.


AnswerID: 101481

Follow Up By: udm - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:29

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:29
Hi Glenn, this has nothing to do with the original post, but, why did you go back to petrol? Does LPG give problems on an lc80?
FollowupID: 359483

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:38

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:38

I replaced the LPG as the convertor had given up the ghost. The tank was also over 10 years old and hadn't been checked (at least since I had owned the vehicle). I am also looking at doing a fair bit of desert tripping in the next couple of years, and knowing the limited availablility of LPG in the outback, I decided that the time was right to remove the LPG. I now have a 145L main tank and 175L aux tank that will give me a range of (hopefully) 1500+ kms. The engine is the 3F, and is still in pristine condition, possibly due to it running on LPG for so long, so I am lucky. I am hoping to get a couple more years out of the engine before I replace that with a diesel engine. I have nearly passed the 300000km mark, so I am happy.

FollowupID: 359484

Follow Up By: Cruisergxl - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 16:52
I investigated LPG for my 80 series 1FZ FE engine (multivalve), toyota said they didn't recommend gas conversion because of all the extra valves there isn't enough metal left in the head to get rid of all the heat (LPG runs at a higgher temp) so the valves and their seats tend to burn out which costs $$$$.

I think there is lots of post on LPG in the forum, but if you really want to know try a new post?? I too would be interested in others thoughts/experiences.


FollowupID: 359487

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:21

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:21
I have a spare that came with a good motor that now is in my car.....if you want, i will send it up for you to look at, and if you want it, you can keep it for $30
This is a common thing to happen, you will probably have been experiencing a flat spot off idle when cold for a while...is that correct???
Andrew Wollongong
AnswerID: 101486

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:24
Moose, Try industrial suppliers, Blackwoods etc, you can buy very flexible hose PVC, with a helical wire inside, some even have a harder plastic "wire". very thin in wall, maybe 1mm. You probably can buy a metre for around $25 in that size. There are many suppliers of hose only, cant think who the main one is right now, i will check 2moro and let you know. that Toyota price is blantently rape!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 101487

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)