Engine re-build

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:52
ThreadID: 21031 Views:1855 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have just ripped down my engine over the weekend, no. 2 and 3 conrod was bent. It is a Nissan Terrano TD27 engine. While i have it out what else should i replace on it? Currently i will be replacing rings, gaskets, throw-out bearing, rear main seal, spriget bearing, a few hoses that would be hard to reach if they went. Any suggestion would be helpful as it is mainly a diy jobbie. Everything else was in good working order before the strip down. (As far as i can tell)

Thanks
SantaAus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:50

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:50
I suppose you have to ask yourself why the conrods were bend!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 101495

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:57
Sounds nasty
Any idea why?
Do you need any torque settings? I can get them to you if you need them.
It is a good opportunity to have the valves re-seated and the head checked for warping.
Make sure the clamps on the little rubber elbow between the turbo and the block are nipped up tight (cooling system). They can leak if they are disturbed.
Good luck
Oskar
AnswerID: 101505

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:16

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:16
Oskar, Did you replace your water pump assembly, and if you did or know any info, is there a water pump out of navara that will fit?
Thanks
SantaAus
FollowupID: 359634

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:29

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:29
Hi there,

make sure you replace front crank seal, timing belt/chain, check end float on oil pump if it is internal (if ext can be done anytime). check bore for wear, a hone or even rebore may be required, last thing you want is to put standard rings in, and find blow by once assembled.
Also check crank journals for wear, symetry, and get the conrods closed and honed, esp after you will be replacing 2 of them, may require machining and os bearings.
May want to replace thermostat, and while it is off I would be doing the head if not done recently, do it once, do it right esp if you plan keeping the car for some time.
Ensure you use loctite or similar on all conrod journal bolts, and on crank bearing cap bolts, and if internal, on the bolts holding the oil pump and pick up in place. Have seen bolts from these components come loose after a re-build as mechanic was lazy, and not very clever. Any failure of this kind can not only mean re-build again in near future, but very expensive re-build if hard parts are damaged.

Hope this helps,
Wayne
AnswerID: 101695

Reply By: SantaAus - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 18:54

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 18:54
Michael, The reason why the conrods were bent is that i was lazy and didn't check tha depth of a creek, and injested some water. The head was orignally done up after this and a new head gasket was put on, what i was told was that it was only that the gasket was sacraficed and the conrods would be ok. They turned out to be only bent by a very small amount. The pistons were only down by .3 and .5 of a mill.
Oskar, thanks for the offer, i got sick of asking for these of everyone, so i bought the td27 manual online for $40.
Swine Hunter, Thanks for the info some will be used, i have the pistons & conrods in at a local joint being looked over at the moment, and i have a friend in the bussiness sourcing all of the other parts that i will need.
AnswerID: 101790

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:20

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:20
The Water-pump assembly is available from Repco (and other sources) I believe. I think it is the same for a few Nissan models but I can't be sure. It may even be the same as the Pathy.
I got a second hand one from a wrecker who wanted to charge me $140 but I talked him down to $70. But that one is starting to go now so I may have been better value to by a new one. I'm not sure but I think others have bought non-genuine for $180 or so. (But I may be way out on that one) Worth a look around anyway.
Have you got the Haynes manual for the rest of the car?? (Repco)
Oskar
AnswerID: 101831

Sponsored Links