Kluger

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:49
ThreadID: 21034 Views:1750 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with one of these off the bitumen? No one says much about them but I notice there are more and more on the road. I know they are being mainly used as luxury wagons around town - especially by women it appears.
I believe they were sold as a lexus o/s in some countries and they still have lexus box, engine etc.
I can't seem to find out anything about their performance in the real world though - especially on dirt roads etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:21
The few magazine articles that I have seen have said that the Kluger was pretty ordinary off-road. As with most of these suedo 4x4,s, they are limited as dirt road only and cannot be expected to function as a heavy duty 4x4 will.
With no low-range gearing, no drive-line lockability, and terrible wheel travel, secondary roads are its limit.
AnswerID: 101498

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:50

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:50
We have one as the family hack. More Camry than Cruiser. It's really a larger body on a jacked up Camry Wagon platform. Wheel travel is limited, although clearance is not bad. Driveline is very smooth on the road but high range only. If you put on some tougher tyres it would make a good statiion go-to-town car. We have the top model with the traction control (others have LSD) and even it went well on the beach at Xmas. Build quality is typical Tojo high standard. You will see a lot of people currently driving Prado's and Pajero's around the 'burbs in these as time goes on, they have the same space/features but without the hardware most of these folks don't need.
AnswerID: 101539

Sponsored Links