Roof rack noise

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:41
ThreadID: 21070 Views:2724 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I put a set of Rhino Racks onto my Navara yesterday and to my horror this morning there was a heap of noise, a drumming sound in the cab when I drove it. It was like a vibration through the whole vehicle.

I then took them off and the noise dissappeared. They are the flat bars mounted on Mont Blanc uprights which clamp to the false gutter they are about 8 inches high. They were very tight and I could not move them. They have the capacity to hold a metal basket but it's not necessary to mount that.

Has anyone experienced similar problems and how did you fix it?. I'm wondering if They get a vibration going unless something joins them.

Cheers

macca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aston - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:55

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:55
macca,

I experienced the same noise - vibration and cured most of it by pluging the ends of the bars with sponge to stop the organ pipe effect.

Cheers
Aston
AnswerID: 101673

Reply By: theshadows - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:42

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:42
on my Terrano had the sme problem.... I treid a wind break and lot of different things...in the end traded them for a set of THULE aero bars. Problem solved

shadow
AnswerID: 101675

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:00

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:00
yep its the air passing the open ends and top of the racks
rhino have plastic end caps for the end of the bars and a rubber strip for the top.....or your could do what i did with mine and the extension ladder hollow foot rails.....fill em up with expanding foam (available from hardware stores)......sticks like baby poo and any excess can be filed or cut off and painted black or any other colour you fancy
AnswerID: 101682

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:06

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:06
Yep, rubber strips will fix. If not, make sure ends are plugged with something. New roofracks have these available for exactly this reason, not looks. I had the same problem, mont blancs and rhino racks, fixed it with the above. Bear in mind you will never completely get rid of wind noise with any racks

D-Jack
AnswerID: 101794

Sponsored Links