Water on Tanami Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 05:29
ThreadID: 21071 Views:2345 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning to cycle Tanami in August 2005 and hope the 4x4 community can help me out with some information:

-On my hema-map there's a water sign halfway between
Yuendumu and Rabbit Flat: The place is called
"RENAHANS BORE". Can I get water there?

-In the "Lonely Planet Outback Australia" there are
two places marked as springs/water holes. They are
also situated between Yuendumu and Rabbit Flat and are
named "CHILLA WELL" and "REFRIGERATOR BORE". Can I get drinkable water
there?

-Between Rabbit Flat and Billiluna I just found NOTHING.
If you know any water places on this part or any further places between Yuendumu and Rabbit Flat, it would be GREAT, if you can give me the information.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!
René
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:46

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:46
Rene,

Have a look at Trip Planning on this site:-
Trip Planning - Treks in the Red Centre - The Tanami Track

Michelle has a comprehensive description here.
Click on the following shortcut to jump start you:-
Tanami Track

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 101676

Reply By: theshadows - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:49

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:49
Back in the early 80's I took XL600's up to wolf crater.ther qute a few bores on the way. {talk to the locals and look for the "cannes" }. One word of warning unless you like stomach cramps and and both your ends working at once try to avoid the bores......

with common sence water tablets and boiling the water from one pot into anther your better off putting black garbage bags over the mulga to collect water. Just an word of advice.

shadow
AnswerID: 101677

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:17

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:17
"unless you like stomach cramps and and both your ends working at once try to avoid the bores....."

Depends on the sulphur content of bore water. The majority of bore water in Aus is good enough to drink. Boiling it would be an added advantage but usually not essential, unless of course, you pander to the American way of throwing up at everything that doesn't fit the norm.

FollowupID: 359548

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:32
I have to agree with Willem. it won't fit "world standards" usually for pH and some salts but usually is drinkable. Now if you are fussy (like my wife) it won't taste great but it is usually safe enough to drink. I drink it
FollowupID: 359683

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:59

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:59
Ran_ey
There is a Mine "The Granites" about 60km SE of Rabbit Flat and there is another Mine "Tanami" about 45km NW Rabbit Flat just before the Lajamanu turnoff. It would be advisable to ring ahead!! I would not rely on any water hole!!
The cyclists that I have seen doing the Track have had support vehicles!
I would also be filtering and boiling the water before drinking!!

Take care as this is fairly unforgiving country

Brian
AnswerID: 101748

Reply By: floyd - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 17:47

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 17:47
Mate you are mental. you ever been there before???

Make sure your beard is long and the scroggin bag is full.
AnswerID: 101785

Reply By: ian - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 17:59

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 17:59
Rene,

It will be pretty hot and dry. Almost every vehicle will have water. Hold up a sign and ask for water from passing people, enough people will help you out. It will be very dusty. I would think you are going to use 8-10 litres a day, and that in turn can create medical problems.

You can go into Balgo, and if you ring the cops there I am sure they would help you out as they have to patrol anyhow.

There is a tank around about Refrigerator Well, but you would be mad to count on it. Lots of vehicles stop there though, and they will have water.

Still, I have to admit I haven't cycled the Tanami, and these are only educated guesses.

have fun.
ian
AnswerID: 101787

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 02:22

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 02:22
obviously he's lost confidence in his 3.0L nissan and has decided to use the tredly instead!!
AnswerID: 101872

Sponsored Links