Fans and fridges

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:15
ThreadID: 21078 Views:1953 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

Been reading the discussions about fans and fridges and started to think (starting to sound like Wolfie?) about connecting my air con vents, the ones facing the rear passenger seats in the Patrol, to somewhere near the fridge.

The reason for this is to allow the flow of fresh outside air, when the vents are in open position, thinking also that one could just use the car fan (once suitably overridden from the ignition, that is) to push cool air past the fridge intake.

Anyone done something like this? Just wondering how people deal with the higher ambient temperatures in closed cars when parked. The adds tell us not to leave the kids or pets in the car because it will get to 50/60C - can't see the fridge working too well in similar conditions while parked at the pub for lunch.

Any thoughts!?

Kind regards

Theo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wok - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:34

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:34
Theo,

Could be a short pit-stop!...check the current draw of your vehicle fan, mine draws quite a few amps. I tried to use an external fan fitted to the window, worked alright but compromised security. There used to be those little exhaust fans that worked off solar[Jaycar I think]..there wasn't enough airflow[tried it]

cheers
AnswerID: 101739

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 15:53

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 15:53
G'day Wok,

True I haven't checked the current draw, was trying to find those solar fans to see if they would do the job - not enough air you say, will give them a miss.

So what are you doing now as it seems you've tried the lot? Have you come to the conclusion that leaving the car to get hot is the only solution?

I have put a tinnie on the roof, kinda acts like a tropical roof - someone told me this is a popular approach in the Territory to keep the car cool. Certainly works! But can't leave it up there permanently.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 359592

Follow Up By: Wok - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 00:01

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 00:01
Hello Theo,

I leave my rear sliding windows open[Toyo 60] figured that there wasn't much to pinch anyway!..even if 'they' broke in the rear 'they' couldn't get to the front[cargo barrier]. I have modified the lid on my Trailblazer so that the thermal gain is minimised up to about 50 oC[from memory the dutycycle is about 50% setting #5]

I think your tinnie would be more effective then fans! I think it was Nudenut who pointed out [in another thread] that the thermal gains through the panels, glass etc made it a lost cause.

I must point out that I visit places where the ambient is usually 35-45 oC, so please keep that in mind.

Cheers

Could this be...................another double post?
FollowupID: 359714

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 15:59

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 15:59
I run an 80mm computer fan (12volt) in the bottom of my older Engel. Power draw is a fraction of an amp, and it pushes enough air around. Does it make a difference??? Buggered if I know.

Its powered separately to the fridge. Some clever people can wire them so they only work when the fridge is cycling.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 101772

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:13
mine works only when fridge is on 12V..not that difficult to set up.
Makes about 3 degrees difference as far as I can tell. Frideg oly works on 12 V when ignition is on.
FollowupID: 359677

Sponsored Links