Complete Campsite Problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:12
ThreadID: 21105 Views:16826 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in buying a Complete Campsite CT for a big trip around Australia. We are planning on doing a fair bit of off-road travel and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of this camper giving them problems. I am most interested in wheel bearing, brakes, suspension or chassis problems, as I am happy with the build quality of the other items.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 00:16

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 00:16
3lrich,
we ran into a family up in Cape Leveque who hired a complete campsite unit for their 3-4 month lap of Australia. They lived in Sydney, and the hire option was obviously the preferred option for their situation.

They had come across gibb river road, and some other corrugated top-end roads, with no problems with the camper trailer....apart from parking on the beach at their camping site ;-)

I asked him if he'd experienced any problems to which he answered none at all. He was very happy with the unit.

It was well set up for a hire unit. We ourselves hired an Albany Camper Trailer from a camping outfit in Perth.

Hope the above helps.

Dave
AnswerID: 101867

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:08

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:08
I've only heard good things about the CC CT's.

They had a big write up a few months back in 4wd Monthly. The owners also use the trailers themselves , not just build them.

If you are happy with the quality of them , I cant see a problem with buying one.
AnswerID: 101891

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:52
Do yourself a favour .... keep looking!

On our outback trip last year we saw 2 of their trailers at Cameron Corner, one had broken an spring & flipped, the owner was so disgusted he just took his gear out of it, walked away & abandoned it.
The second one was absolutely brand new, the owner picked it up from the factory, took it straight home to Gisborne, packed it up & left for his long anticipated trip, he didn't even make it to Cameron Corner before an axle.
Should ask him if he enjoyed his 3 day enforced stay at the 'Corner' waiting for an axle assembly.
AnswerID: 101899

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:37

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:37
As they dont make their own Springs or axles , they are bought like every other manufacturer , its a bit hard to say its CC's fault.

ALL the big name Trailer makers have failures at sometime.

If its a PART built by the company that fails , I would agree , but blaming the failure of a mass produced common part on the trailer builder is a bit harsh.
FollowupID: 359747

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 18:37

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 18:37
Well who chooses the components that are used in the trailers?
Maybe they were too light duty, plus 2 trailers in the one location?hmmm.....

I will expand on the story with the new trailer, he had ordered it months in advance for his trip, was constantly assured that it would be ready, he was to pick it up on the Friday night, but feeling something was not quite right, he went to the factory on Thursday to find that his trailer had only just been started, but was assured it would be ready by Saturday lunchtime.
When he went to pick it up, it obviously wasn't ready & he had to hang around until late Saturday afternoon for it.
FollowupID: 359793

Follow Up By: terracan tim - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 18:57

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 18:57
Well I would have to agree with shaker about those complete campsite trailers while talking to the guy who was fixing my busted trailer about the one he had on the recovery vehicle he said that the springs the axle and the wheel bearings where way to light for this type of trailer.
Since been in the top end over the last 6 months I have came across 2 more of these trailers with the same problem. So be warned.
FollowupID: 359795

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 23:06

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 23:06
G'day Tim ...... where have you been hiding?

Shoot me an email to patrol6@ozemail.com.au so I can add you to contacts. And say g'day to Audra & the kids!
FollowupID: 359823

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:03

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:03
So Tim , you had a busted trailer as well. Must be a POS ;) What brand was it , we dont want to buy them ?

Nah , look , you are right.

Its certainly correct to point out any potential problems.
FollowupID: 359844

Follow Up By: terracan tim - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 14:18
no my trailer was a standard 6x4 loaded with half a house and has larger springs and landcruiser rims the draw bar was not strong enough and broke in 2 places on the bore track.
FollowupID: 359874

Follow Up By: Mark from The Complete Campsite - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:26

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:26
Hi Shaker
In regards to the campers at camerons here is what really happened! The trailer that flipped was built by the customer himself with a modified spring that he also acquired as we would not recommend the suspension that he wanted. He put our canopy on his own trailer. Yes he was disgusted in the trailer when it flipped at 125km/hr on the Strezleki track after hitting a large pot hole. This all can be confirmed from Bill the owner of the store at Camerons Corner. Bill has fixed the trailer and loves it .. pls feel free to contact him.
The 2nd camper was picked up from us and then it went to get the tyres and wheels replaced which were not supplied by us - he also had the bearings checked after not many km's. The tyre repair company didnt put one of the caps back on the hubs which obviously caused this problem. When this occurred we took responsibility for the problem and replaced parts and our expense immediately. However, Bill at the corner store confirmed that he had spoken to the owner and he acknowledged that one of the caps may have been missing.
We feel that it is important that before posting any negative comments on such a popular site it is necessary to get the correct information first. We work very hard to ensure our campers are what we promote. Note: To all potential purchasers: Suspension on campers / trailers etc is not indestructible and must be driven to road conditions at all times. It is not idiot proof!
FollowupID: 360075

Reply By: Neil - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 15:54

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 15:54
Hi Rich
I own one of these camper trailers, and before i bought i tried a few by hiring from different companies. I have done quite a few trips in it and i am still impressed with how tough these trailers are. You should hire one for a weekend and go and give it a bash, talk to Mark and ask if he will take the hire price off if you end up buying one. Drop me a message if u want more info more than happy to talk about it.
Good luck Neil
AnswerID: 101947

Reply By: 3Lrich - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 16:08

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 16:08
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will talk to the guys and raise the comments mentioned here.

Thanks.

Rich.
AnswerID: 102236

Sponsored Links