hub & wheel bearings & brakes.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:18
ThreadID: 21141 Views:2271 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've been asking a few questions recently & I've got a few more (don't feel so guilty since I've stumped up for membership now)

Here goes

Just had a major service, All the fluids & Filters have been changed but the wheel bearings weren't repacked.
Should they have been?
I asked them to have a look & repack if necessary. The mechanic said he had a look & they seemed ok.
The truck has 236000k on it and this is the first major service while I've owned it. I don't think the bearings have been looked at for quite a while before I got the truck
Any opinions?

Same question again re: The front hubs. They also get quite hot when in the free position. I'm thinking I might take them to somewhere else to get checked out.

Finally, and this time not a question. While the mechanic was changing the rear diff oil he found the brake hose running down the the rear had a clamp on it. Therefore I've been driving for 11months with no rear brakes. It has always stopped just fine for me including one emergency stop. I don't know what the hell that was there for but it's been there since before I've had the car as he showed me the rear brakes and they were rusted solid. That was half his days work, rebuilding the rear brakes. Scary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Goldfields) - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:05

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:05
for the sake of your peace of mind I would get bearings repacked. They're to be done evry 40K anyway but it would be nice to start off on an even keel.
Spoken by someone who has had seized bearings which then elevated to a snapped axle and stuffed brake rotor & calipers due to his mechanic making the very same decision and not repacking bearings.
AnswerID: 102058

Follow Up By: rihearn - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 13:35

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 13:35
That settles it then - repacking of the wheel bearings it is.
Thanks.
FollowupID: 359867

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 14:12

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 14:12
I very much doubt that the mechanic actually looked at them - if he'd gone to the trouble to get that far he would have repacked them. Get another mechanic. Or if you're that way inclined get a manual and do them yourself. It's not hard - it's just time consuming. And you'll need a few special tools that will cost a few bob but in the long run you'll save heaps and you'll know it's been done properly.
Incidentally given the brake situation I'd make sure the new mechanic has a thorough look at the bearings - all of them, not just the ones that are easy to get at.
Re brakes - just goes to show that it's the front brakes that do most of the work.
AnswerID: 102066

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 19:16

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 19:16
I have to agree. 99.9 percent of the work is done just to inspect them, so if you inspect them you would repack them. In my opinion, I doubt he looked.
FollowupID: 359901

Follow Up By: rihearn - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:48

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:48
I've been looking at the manual myself and he'd have to have x-ray vision to know the bearings were ok without actually getting in there.
FollowupID: 359904

Sponsored Links