Roof rack for a Terracan

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 17:42
ThreadID: 21170 Views:8400 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has any Jerrycan owners fitted a decent roof rack. Who's and how much. I got some info from Opposite Lock that there is now a 100kg rated rack suitable for a Terracan, but have not been able to substantiate it yet. Most off road vehicle suppliers catalogues say that a roof rack can't be fitted. The 75lb fitted rack is like mammaries on a bovine, and I've got to have some place to sling the spare jerry cans and the 2nd spare tyre/wheel, wife, etc.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 18:42

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 18:42
Terracan Tim just clamped a Rhino style roof basket to his existing rails.
The half of his house that wasn't in the trailer (that broke) ......... you guessed it! It was on the roof rack.
AnswerID: 102183

Reply By: thepilot - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:03

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:03
Hi Duncan

Try Thule they make a rack for the terracan with 100kg + raiting A friend has one on his jerry no basket just the rack and puts his canoe on it with no probs.
I hope this is of some help . He got his from TJM

here is the link
http://www.thule.com.au/guide.asp

Dave
AnswerID: 102217

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:48

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:48
Thanks Dave, i spoke to a TJM rep yesterday at the Perth Caravan & Camping Show, he was not aware of any. Checked the link you posted yes a 100kg plus bar rack is available from Thule.

For all those interested its a N type & costs between $368 & $394 depending on whether square or aerodinamic shaped bar.

Thanks again Dave.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 360012

Reply By: MarkC - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:58
Duncan,

I ordered my Thule roof racks through Super Cheap $328. I got the square ones as I felt they may be more practical than the round ones. From memory this was about $50 cheaper than what TJM quoted me.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 102433

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:10

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:10
Thanks Mark, how easy are they to fit, because i'm going to have to take them on and off when ever i need to use the rack, due to very poor clearance under my garage tilta door.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 360164

Follow Up By: MarkC - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:28

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:28
Duncan,

Took me around an hour, never fitted roof racks before but it should only take 15 to 20 minutes if you are handy. Taking them off is dead easy, press a button and it unclips from the existing rail.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 360168

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:47

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:47
Much appreciated. I'm fast coming to the conclusion thatt he cheapest part about owning a 4be was the car in the first place. One new bit each pay so it seems.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 102442

Follow Up By: MarkC - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 23:28

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 23:28
Duncan,
Couldn't agree more, buying the car was the eay part, sorting out all the choices on after market accessories and the varied opinions on any aspect of a 4by can drive you nuts. Since driving the Jerrycan out of the showroom, I've upgraded the suspension and tyres, installed a cargo barrier,roofracks, driving lights, rear storage(home made) fridge slide and a fridge. On top of this I still have to buy a UHF radio and sort through the mess of a dual battery set-up. The old visa card has taken a hiding over the last year.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 360174

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 23:39

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 23:39
Some ones been busy. Hope to pick up a 50lL Waeco this weekend. Wife's cousin said he could do me a good deal. Priced a milford barrier B@#$ expensive. Thought about removing the rear seats (just the 2 of us), and bolting a purpose made amplimesh barrier between the rear seat grab bars and the floor seat mounts. Recon i could get it done for a couple of 100 as opposed to 700 odd quted by OL.
Waying up which way to go with the batteries, traditional duel system or the Odessey small duel batteries (both will fit in the std tray) or power pack - I'm so confused.

Tyres, wheels and suspension also on the menu.

glad my long service leave has had to be defered for 12 mths.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 102458

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:48

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:48
Duncan,

See post 15195 re dual batteries.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 360182

Reply By: Ants - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:00

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:00
Hi all, I'm a newbie but have read the forum for a while. I used to hang around the Overlander forum but got sick of the politics...

Anyway, another Terracan owner here...I have a 2003 model Highlander petrol auto with ABS.

Mine is modded a little with:

-Polished alloy roof rack (full length basket fitted to custom made feet in the standard roof track)
-Custom Alloy bullbar
-Cibie Oscar SC's
-After-market wheels
-BFG AT's
-Hyundai towbar
-Hyundai cargo barrier
-Uniden 3200 UHF

Regarding roof racks...the basket I have is an "off the shelf" item, with feet I custom made myself. There is $14 worth of steel involved, and they are made from 75mm x 5mm and 45mm x 5mm plate. They ain't gonna move in a hurry :-) I have a set of Thule racks and mesh basket which I no longer use, and used the same mouting theory (as used by Thule) for the feet I made. If anyone wants any info, feel free to ask and I will do some pics.

Anyway, my email is ants@tpg.com.au if anyone wants pics or other info.

I'll be hunting for dual battery tray next. The one made by Pirahna doesn't fit in a vehicle that has ABS...
AnswerID: 103990

Follow Up By: Ants - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:04

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:04
Oh, and I have a suspension lift kit fitted as well....coils and foam cell dampers. Also have Polyair bags fitted to the rear coils for the really big loads. I'll be doing front torsion bars as soon as my supplier has them finished (should be around June I believe)
FollowupID: 361477

Sponsored Links